Equifax (44 million UK people's records) hacked.

Soldato
We've checked and my wife's details are likely to have been included in the leak but mine haven't.

They're offering a year's free subscription to their protection service (yep, I find that funny too) so we're getting enrolled to that just in case.

Soldato
We've checked and my wife's details are likely to have been included in the leak but mine haven't.

They're offering a year's free subscription to their protection service (yep, I find that funny too) so we're getting enrolled to that just in case.
Where is the leak so myself and others can check?

Soldato

How does one check timmeh?

Associate
I recently just had my EA Origin account hacked. Could it be related?

I had all my account details and passwords altered and had to contact an admin to reset everything

Soldato
How does one check timmeh?

He is in the US.
Only US with their social security numbers can check currently.
They don't care thus far about the UK data they lost.

Clearly they feel the information commisioner here won't or doesn't have the power to spank them in any fashion.

Have they gave any indication of how much data on each person has been lost.
A credit record could be an absolute goldmine of information and activity if it was lost in its entirety.

Their rival, experia, are used by our government as part of the verification process for verify your ID for government gateway. They can do this as they know everything about you. Questions such as which of the following banks do you have a credit card with, or an account with, who is your eletricity supplier from an abcde choice.
I would be surprised if this company doesn't hold similar.

Have they stated what depth of info has been lost?

Did they really not warn people signed up to their monitor and protection program?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
3 managers with shares of £1.3 Million know nothing for a month of a large security breach?
"I didn't know, nobody told me anything, there is no way the Federal Authorities can prove anything."

I suspect that Insider Trading is an offence in America as it is in the UK - although difficult to prove and perhaps generally tolerated.

Clearly they feel the information commisioner here won't or doesn't have the power to spank them in any fashion.
A perfectly reasonable assumption based on past performance by the alleged Guardians of our Data.

Soldato
As noted in yesterday’s breaking story on this breach, the Web site that Equifax advertised as the place where concerned Americans could go to find out whether they were impacted by this breach — equifaxsecurity2017.com — is completely broken at best, and little more than a stalling tactic or sham at worst.

In the early hours after the breach announcement, the site was being flagged by various browsers as a phishing threat. In some cases, people visiting the site were told they were not affected, only to find they received a different answer when they checked the site with the same information on their mobile phones.
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/equifax-breach-response-turns-dumpster-fire/

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Bloomberg moved a story yesterday indicating that three top executives at Equifax sold millions of dollars worth of stock during the time between when the company says it discovered the breach and when it notified the public and investors.

The executives reportedly told Bloomberg they didn’t know about the breach when they sold their shares.
In the famous words of Ms Mandy Rice-Davies - "Well they would, wouldn't they?"

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
The UK arm of Equifax said files containing information on "fewer than 400,000" UK consumers was accessed in the breach.

Meanwhile the Equifax CIO and Head of Security will retire, effective immediately. I wonder whether these people happen, quite coincidentally, to have sold their shares?

Soldato
Didn't realise one of the chaps selling stock was the CFO. He clearly wouldn't have any idea of a hack which would impact company share price, or that his company had engaged a security company as early as Mrach for a previous hack.

Back
Top Bottom