ER-lite & TalkTalk fibre setting

Soldato
Anyone has any issues with ER-Lite & TalkTalk fibre.

talktalk use DHCP rather than PPPoE.

any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Exact same setup as mine. However I need to check my HG612 as currently it is just serving as modem in the default bridge mode which is as it should be.

anyway good to know.

Associate
My HG612 is not unlocked so just at default and works fine.

I bought another as a spare and to unlock but after flashing could never connect to the web interface on LAN2. Gave up as it just works and my connection is nice and stable.

Soldato
OP
thanks @Fishman, the talktalk person was pretty useless when i contacted them to ask for PPPoE information. the person just outright said you cant use third party routers. when i pointed him to their own website below, he then said the router is not compatible. tbh that is also when i realised i was barking up the wrong tree with talktalk as the website does say fibre is DHCP and ADSL is PPPoA.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

Soldato
OP
haha yes, they are sending me one anyway and charging me £5 for it also :(

tbh probably need their router should things go wrong as these ISP will always default to your own equipement being the issue as opposed to BT Openreach being the issue. Which is 9/10 times, BT openreach is the problem. so having their router there for debugging process is good idea.

I cant remember which ISP i had run in with that insisted the openreach/BT infrastructure has no fault (might have been Plusnet), and insisted on something wrong with router. when tested with their own router, it was the same problem and they actually sent me another router to test also. that was a massive waste of 1 week of toing and froing. at the end of it all, a BT engineer came down and found the line was way too noisy from cabinet to my house and switched the line and put a new socket in at my end and problem gone away.

Associate
I think my TT router was free and yes if I need their support I'll dig it out and probably try and double nat until they sort it just so I don't have to redo my network.

In the 2.5 years I've had VDSL I've had no issues thankfully.

Maybe one more VDSL contract and then hopefully FTTP. Ideally not using the provided router and keeping my phone number on presumably a VOIP service. I don't think the FTTP service providers support this at the moment. Fun to look forward to in the future.

Soldato
OP
Ah yes. FTTP. That would be nice. Unfortunately even though according to the Openreach waiting list website FTTP is available in my area, I don’t think it is available to houses built in the 1920s. Probably for the new blocks of flats etc.

got no 5G service provider either. So it is either openreach vdsl or virgin.

just never going with virgin knowing how heavily they throttle traffic etc.

Soldato
If the proper BT wholesale checker says it’s available, it’s available (ignore anything that says ‘on demand’, that’s a different product).

It’s got very little to do with when your property was built. The checker is based on your individual property.

Soldato
OP
If the proper BT wholesale checker says it’s available, it’s available (ignore anything that says ‘on demand’, that’s a different product).

It’s got very little to do with when your property was built. The checker is based on your individual property.
Good to know. I may call around!

When you say the proper checker. Do you mean the below?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Soldato
Yes, that’s the one.

Put in your phone number or UPRN (you can find that online) and it will tell you exactly what’s available at your property.

If it says FTTP on demand is available, that is where you are effectively paying for BT to put in fibre just for you which costs £X000 or more. Ignore that.

Soldato
FTTC it is then if you don’t want to go Virgin. I wouldn’t get a cellular connection if a passable FTTC line was available.

No issues with talk talk here and they have been pretty open to negotiation when it comes to renew.

Soldato
OP
My work mate has 5G internet, it’s ridiculously fast. The lucky sod was on some kind of trial.

I suspect those speeds will be lowered as cell saturation reaches maximum. But he was doing 250mbps which is pretty nice.

Back
Top Bottom