Ergotron Neo Flex Lcd Arm Xt Silver : Dell 2405FPW

Man of Honour
ah cool. Sounds good. One thing I had asked HEADRAT was whether the movement of the arm is flexible at all. I was worried that because of the weight, it has to be stuck in one position all the time. I don;t move my screen round a lot, but i do pivot it a little so that it is a good angle to view the screen from my bed. I'm hoping the arm can handle that, although HEADRAT thinks it might not be very good for this :(

Associate
Baddass said:
ah cool. Sounds good. One thing I had asked HEADRAT was whether the movement of the arm is flexible at all. I was worried that because of the weight, it has to be stuck in one position all the time. I don;t move my screen round a lot, but i do pivot it a little so that it is a good angle to view the screen from my bed. I'm hoping the arm can handle that, although HEADRAT thinks it might not be very good for this :(

Basically, keep the hex key on standby. It is flexible BUT if you move the joint that connects the TFT to the back of the screen too often THEN the monitor IS likely to freely move (downwards towards gravity). This is probably further enhanced by the fact the the Dell is one of the slightly heavier TFT alternatives.

So if you move the monitor often, every so often tighten the hex joints.

Man of Honour
danderson said:
Basically, keep the hex key on standby. It is flexible BUT if you move the joint that connects the TFT to the back of the screen too often THEN the monitor IS likely to freely move (downwards towards gravity). This is probably further enhanced by the fact the the Dell is one of the slightly heavier TFT alternatives.

So if you move the monitor often, every so often tighten the hex joints.

thanks danderson. So it can be moved a bit without it becoming too flimsy? i normally have it faced striaght, but when i watch movies etc on it i would need to tilt the screen down a bit, and pivot it to the left since my bed is not directly in front of the desk. which link becomes flimsy mosty from this pic:

15xi1.jpg

(sorry, the number 2 didnt show very well! :p)

Associate
Simon, your in-depth investigation about this LCD arm is astonishing ... to say at least ;)

Now, my problem is simple. Take a look:

http://82.108.12.84:10973/IMG_TMP01.jpg

This is the back of my desk, and of course you may notice that frikin' desk backplate :( I guess, no LCD arm for me ? because I can't attach it anywhere as the top of the disk is connected with that stupid back plate.

Associate
Yes it can be moved without becoming too flimsy...but with a Dell 2405, the amount of times it can be moved in any one time without being tightened with the hex key will be reduced due to the weight of the Dell (I'm 95% sure of this). I use one of my monitors as a TV too and like you, I also direct it towards my bed, etc. It is Number 1 that will become loose (with frequent movement). I have two monitor arms and they both become loose if I move either too much so I don't reckon it's a faulty arm. It's just the way it is unfortunately :(

Number 1 is like a ball joint with a fluid range of movement...if moved too often then it'll become loose.

Just so you know, number 2 is actually a locking mechanism. It adjusts the height. What you have to do is to support the monitor at the base of the TFT with one hand while you press the big silver circular button in number 2 with the other hand. Pressing the button will release the lock and you can position the height accordingly. Depress the button and the arm will lock at your chosen height.

Ahh I have an analogy for you - when you buy a bed or a chair that you have to assemble, in the instructions it sometimes says "tighten the screws every so often". This is obviously due to the movements inflicted on the joints over time. Same applies to the arm and the frequency you move the screen.

Don't get me wrong, it is a very solid arm - cold to the touch, and you can move the monitor, but I would suggest that if you are likely to move it often then have the hex at arms reach - it only takes a moment to tighten ;)

Associate
igors said:
Simon, your in-depth investigation about this LCD arm is astonishing ... to say at least ;)

Now, my problem is simple. Take a look:

http://82.108.12.84:10973/IMG_TMP01.jpg

This is the back of my desk, and of course you may notice that frikin' desk backplate :( I guess, no LCD arm for me ? because I can't attach it anywhere as the top of the disk is connected with that stupid back plate.

As it stands, this arm is not for you.

However, there is hope. Smash off the backplate and order the arm :p

Associate
danderson said:
However, there is hope. Smash off the backplate and order the arm :p
Don't do this to me, pleeeease :( Slight change in my mood tomorrow may actually bring that hammer, from my tool kit, closer to me ... and "operation" will start. No questions asked :D Anyhow, I will investigate tomorrow if this back plate is maybe "detachable". Too tired now.

Have a peaceful night, everybody :)

Associate
igors said:
Don't do this to me, pleeeease :( Slight change in my mood tomorrow may actually bring that hammer, from my tool kit, closer to me ... and "operation" will start. No questions asked :D Anyhow, I will investigate tomorrow if this back plate is maybe "detachable". Too tired now.

Have a peaceful night, everybody :)

order arm

detach backplate

cut suitable hole

replace backplate

attach arm

sorted :D

Man of Honour
go on igors, hack the desk up! :p

danderson, thanks for the help again. So if it is joint 1 which becomes loose, then that doesnt mean the screen will risk falling and hitting the desk does it? that just allows it to pivot right to left and tile up and down yeah?

Soldato
OP
Robert said:
/Mine just arrived :p

I expect pics :) informational threads like this one need plenty of before/after information.

I do stress though that I feel these arms are only "just" suitable for the 2405FPW, their weight and thickness means that the knuckle joints can only just cope.

Baddass said:

WAIT!! I think you could just drill a hole in the desk, I'm pretty sure the arm comes with the mountings for this, I can scan the instructions when I get in, some desks come with a hole "pre-drilled" for this kind of thing.

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Associate
HEADRAT said:
WAIT!! I think you could just drill a hole in the desk, I'm pretty sure the arm comes with the mountings for this, I can scan the instructions when I get in, some desks come with a hole "pre-drilled" for this kind of thing.
Yo, you are my man ;) I have the tools & means to cut the hole, no problem there. However, I would patiently wait for your advice ... cause' I don't want the damage on my desk. If I damage something, I would have to buy the new desk and my dear wife will either ban the emotional "pleasures" for the next few months or simply kill me ... actually not sure what's worst, you see :D

Associate
Baddass said:

danderson, thanks for the help again. So if it is joint 1 which becomes loose, then that doesnt mean the screen will risk falling and hitting the desk does it? that just allows it to pivot right to left and tile up and down yeah?

No probs Baddass, you've been there to help me before so it's the least I could do. Yes, you're right, it won't (or shouldn't) hit the desk as it is joint 2 that deals with the height.

Man of Honour
ah well, gunna order it anyway, they look sweet, and i've had my eye on them for a while. Big thanks to HEADRAT and danderson for their help :)

Back
Top Bottom