Estate or SUV?

Caporegime
Wow this thread turned into people being offended for the sake of being offended????

It looks like the estate wins, on here. I will be going to just go look at a few over the weekend and look at them just on space and practically alone before narrowing my search even more. I think i will add in search a Q5, Q7 and XF estate even if the XF is just out of reach at the moment. Just to increase my sample size.

This is a motoring forum and pistonhead types will generally go for the estate over the SUV. Chris Harris is a big advocate of this as well. The general population however is in the complete opposite direction.

Soldato
Wow this thread turned into people being offended for the sake of being offended????

It looks like the estate wins, on here. I will be going to just go look at a few over the weekend and look at them just on space and practically alone before narrowing my search even more. I think i will add in search a Q5, Q7 and XF estate even if the XF is just out of reach at the moment. Just to increase my sample size.
The estate may have more votes but as we know from 'other' votes in the UK that doesn't necessarily lead to the right answer
Andi.

Soldato
This is a motoring forum and pistonhead types will generally go for the estate over the SUV. Chris Harris is a big advocate of this as well. The general population however is in the complete opposite direction.

Yup, it's the the same with all the V10 engines moving to V8, V8's to straight sixes/V6's, straight sixes/V6's to four pots, four pots to three cylinders (like the latest Fiesta ST).

The enthusiasts of the world aren't happy about it, like the 1 Series owners "BUY THE LATEST M140i AS YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY A SIX POT SMALL HATCHBACK SOON!!!" brigade, but there's a very clear reason why can't. It's the exact same story with the lack of manual options, people aren't buying them in large numbers, so companies aren't selling them.

Pistonheads and OCUK motors are enthusiasts and most won't go for an SUV over an estate.

Soldato
It's all down to fudging emissions stats :( Luckily I don't think a 3 cylinder boxer engine is possible, so Subaru and Porsche might be safe for now :D

People do still want manuals to for sporty cars though, they hold their value better too.

Soldato
Personally I prefer the SUV style, higher up, easier to put the small human in the back without bending down too much, also works well for my parents whom both struggle mobility wise, higher boot space to fit the dogs in the back and i prefer the look in general.

I also found that every time I've sat in the back of an estate, I've had little to no legroom (6ft 3). Not sure if I'm just unlucky or what but always felt very squashed in. I do think you get a much larger surface area in the boot though, generally far better economically too and they are nice to drive, just... different to an SUV and that's my preference. Although, my Discovery Sport is actually classed as an estate, but totally isnt lol.

Soldato
We ended up with a Kuga as it had a larger, more usefully shaped boot space than the competition (quashquiche etc). We do a lot of back road driving through the hills so the extra ground clearance is handy.

Soldato
I went the estate route, as i prefer a boot floor flush with the rear bumper opening. They are also usually better to drive around (lighter) and cost less.

Soldato
It's all down to fudging emissions stats :( Luckily I don't think a 3 cylinder boxer engine is possible, so Subaru and Porsche might be safe for now :D

People do still want manuals to for sporty cars though, they hold their value better too.
One cylinder larger than the other two should balance out a 3 cyl boxer
Auto boxes these days can lead to quicker acceleration with torque multipliers and faster changes.
Andi.

Soldato
I went the estate route, as i prefer a boot floor flush with the rear bumper opening. They are also usually better to drive around (lighter) and cost less.
Um an A6 a Q5 and a Q7 are all around the same weight the A6 being in the middle only 100kg less than the Q7. Not quite sure what you think an Suv boot is like but mine is in line with tje bumper and my old back benefits from its height. As for better to drive, that depends on road conditions and traffic. My Q5 is great on smooth motorways, potholed A roads and rough country roads. It isn't quite as good on fast bendy roads but how many of those do you come across without traffic ?
Andi.

Soldato
I'm having the same dilemma. Was planning on a new 3 or 5 series Touring but have been looking at the Ford Edge (I know the quality and driving experience won't be up to BMW standards etc etc) and some some unknown reason I'm drawn to them so got a test drive tomorrow. They just feel so much more spacious.

Soldato
Soldato
There also tends to be more glass in an SUV so feel more spacious along with the taller roofs etc. I wouldn't buy one but I can see why someone would. Don't understand why people get so worked up about it

Soldato
Ye olde classic Porsche to Mini to Ford hierarchy.

Lol yes but I also had a lambo and i8 on the side.

I’m moving to the country side next Week and will have lots of parking. So the plans is a focus for the misses a fun cars for day to day for me (911) and maybe a 5 series for long runs but that can wait.

Soldato
Um an A6 a Q5 and a Q7 are all around the same weight the A6 being in the middle only 100kg less than the Q7.
Um... :p

Weight - a bit more than 100kg difference : 245kg
Audi A6 Avant 3.0 S Line : 1890kg
Audi Q7 3.0 S-Line : 2135kg

The Q5 is a class below the A6 i.e. it's based on the interior and dimensions of the A4.

For me, this extra weight and the higher costs (purchase price and running) mean an estate is the better option.

Soldato
Depends on a few things.

Dog owner? Estate over SUV as easier for dog to jump into boot / less angle for dog ramp

Do lots of long journeys? SUV over estate for comfort reasons (though economy will likely be worse unless you drive at 60-65)

Are you incredibly tall? SUV for headroom !

Soldato
Depends on engine for the precise weight but there is a very small percentage difference in weight. You probably couldn't tell the difference.
Andi.
Like for like engines the difference is about 250kg - I'm pretty sure you would notice that amount if I asked you to push it along and stop it :D
That's the same weight as 3 adults - I definitely notice when i'm driving with an extra 3 up.

Back
Top Bottom