Estate or SUV?

Caporegime
To a degree yes, and to answer the other post, a lot of lowly medium size 2wd SUVs will have a higher towing capacity than estate cars which often struggle to top 1800kg.

An Audi A6 all-road is 2500kg and they cost a fortune compared to something like a Skoda Kodiaq capable of towing the equivalent . You could have a Audi Q7 on lease for a similar price to the A6 and tow even more, generally above 3000kg

This doesn't make them better at towing. Just means they can tow more weight as towing is down to the weight of the vehicle.

An estate towing a 1500KG caravan is going to be better than a SUV towing the same weight as it will have a better power to weight ratio and a smaller mass to slow down.

Soldato
An estate towing a 1500KG caravan is going to be better than a SUV towing the same weight as it will have a better power to weight ratio and a smaller mass to slow down.

Generally the SUV will be heavier and the heavier the tow car the better stability you will have. Especially with something like a caravan that will try and push the tow car around if you get a wobble on.

Soldato
This doesn't make them better at towing. Just means they can tow more weight as towing is down to the weight of the vehicle.

Stability is the main attribute for towing, not power.... think of the effect a large caravan in gusty conditions has on the hitch loading of the towing vehicle.

Roll on practical caravan expert, yeah I admit i googled it.

"Why? Well, if you're anything like me, then stability is what you look for above all else in a tow car.

And estate cars have a lower centre of gravity than 4x4s, which helps make them secure and composed while towing.

What's more, as estates don't need to drive off Tarmac as well as on it, their suspension is designed to work exclusively on the road.

Having performed lane-change tests with all kinds of cars over the past decade or so, I'd say that estate cars generally handle this kind of test better than an SUV.

There are good and bad examples of both types but, as a rule of thumb, estate cars have the edge. And in terms of overall wins at our very own Tow Car Awards, the score stands at four-three in favour of estate cars.
"

Ooops

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/blog/47222-what-tow-car-is-the-best-an-suv-or-an-estate

Caporegime
Stability is the main attribute for towing, not power.... think of the effect a large caravan in gusty conditions has on the hitch loading of the towing vehicle.

I think that is mainly to do with how good the caravan your towing is. A lorry only weighs 10 tonnes max and they tow 44 tonne all day long. Also surely an estate would be better in gusty conditions as it has a lower COG?

Soldato
Roll on practical caravan expert, yeah I admit i googled it.

"Why? Well, if you're anything like me, then stability is what you look for above all else in a tow car.

And estate cars have a lower centre of gravity than 4x4s, which helps make them secure and composed while towing.

What's more, as estates don't need to drive off Tarmac as well as on it, their suspension is designed to work exclusively on the road.

Having performed lane-change tests with all kinds of cars over the past decade or so, I'd say that estate cars generally handle this kind of test better than an SUV.

There are good and bad examples of both types but, as a rule of thumb, estate cars have the edge. And in terms of overall wins at our very own Tow Car Awards, the score stands at four-three in favour of estate cars.
"

Ooops

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/blog/47222-what-tow-car-is-the-best-an-suv-or-an-estate

Yet their towcar of the decade, was a Discovery 4, with a nod to the 3 as well.

"Quite simply, it is the best tow car of past 10 years. If you include the earlier Discovery 3, there has been just one year since the Tow Car Awards started when a Discovery of some description didn't win a prize. No other model can match that record."

Yet their towcar of the decade, was a Discovery 4, with a nod to the 3 as well.

"Quite simply, it is the best tow car of past 10 years. If you include the earlier Discovery 3, there has been just one year since the Tow Car Awards started when a Discovery of some description didn't win a prize. No other model can match that record."

Yeah as they say its the 4WD thats the key with the big beasties, but when you drop to "modestly priced SUVs" it tips in favour of the equivalent estate generally

Man of Honour
Family reasons mean different things to different people.

What do you prefer, and what can you live without?
  • Ride height for improved visibility of road
  • Ease of access
Or;
  • Improved handling (generally)
  • Increased practicality
The rest would come down to preference really.

Agreed, it depends on priorities. Typically I have favoured Estates as they usually provide:
-Bigger boots - most SUVs with big boots look rubbish (e.g. Rifter) or have a very big footprint
-Better fuel economy from the same engine (typically lighter / more aerodynamic)
-Usually cheaper

However I would consider an SUV for our next car as their popularity means there is a lot of choice and ease of access to car seats etc is useful. Kodiaq top of the list I think.

Associate
Having had a few Seat Leon`s, I was really tempted by the Ateca SUV, as I am getting ready for a change.
Really liked it in the showroom, but I have also had a soft spot for the Leon ST (Estate) for some time.
With a new shape Leon due in late summer, there were some very good discounts available.
Ordered the estate. Don't need the extra space regularly, but there are times when it will come in handy.

Associate
OP
Agreed, it depends on priorities. Typically I have favoured Estates as they usually provide:
-Bigger boots - most SUVs with big boots look rubbish (e.g. Rifter) or have a very big footprint
-Better fuel economy from the same engine (typically lighter / more aerodynamic)
-Usually cheaper

However I would consider an SUV for our next car as their popularity means there is a lot of choice and ease of access to car seats etc is useful. Kodiaq top of the list I think.

Guess i should have made that clear early on. Moving over to an Estate or SUV for a number of reasons. My wife is very poorly and could end up in a wheel chair. My mother in law already uses one so could very potentially need space for two. Also need space for the general family stuff with two kids, when i take them out about on their bikes in the future. Going back to diesel, as work is also relocating soon, i currently run a 650I as my daily car, so with the extra miles for work and all the extra trips to the hospital i can see coming up in the near future i want to got back to getting some better MPG. My wife has a mazda 6 hatch petrol as her daily car and we will use that for short distance driving, whilst we can. Your right as there are a lot more SUV's on the used market than estates. I still think you get better value for money if buying an estate. I looked at a XF sport bake at the weekend, boot was not as large as i expected. My friend suggested i have a close look a V70?

Caporegime
@inflames given those (crappy) circumstances I'd strongly consider an estate if you're having to transfer people in and out. Trying to get a relative out of their chair and up in to an SUV is a pain in the behind and I'm pretty strong.

Associate
OP
@inflames given those (crappy) circumstances I'd strongly consider an estate if you're having to transfer people in and out. Trying to get a relative out of their chair and up in to an SUV is a pain in the behind and I'm pretty strong.

This is something i have considered, is it easier to lower someone into a car if needed or to lift them into something higher like a SUV?

Soldato
This is something i have considered, is it easier to lower someone into a car if needed or to lift them into something higher like a SUV?
My father in law found my A6 difficult but my wifes Kuga a lot easier. My Navara was way too high though. It isn't just getting in though, dropping out rather than being pulled up and out is also a consideration.
What about a small suv t-roc/q2 size.
Andi.

Caporegime

I found an estate much easier to get my grandad in and out of than a qashqai. Poor old sod weighs nothing but it's more feeling like you're not hurting him. The other solution could be a sliding door mpv.

Associate
OP
My father in law found my A6 difficult but my wifes Kuga a lot easier. My Navara was way too high though. It isn't just getting in though, dropping out rather than being pulled up and out is also a consideration.
What about a small suv t-roc/q2 size.
Andi.

I found an estate much easier to get my grandad in and out of than a qashqai. Poor old sod weighs nothing but it's more feeling like you're not hurting him. The other solution could be a sliding door mpv.

My mother in law still able move around enough that she can get into the Mazda easy enough, but she always struggles getting out to it, same as all the cars we have owned to be honest. I am lucky i haven't had to actually lift her in or out yet. I hope my wife doesn't have to use one, but i am thinking the worst case scenario, Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Caporegime
I guess it comes down to what kind of impairment your wife may have. Whether it's lower body strength/movement that's impacted or everywhere.
My grandad can stand on his own two feet so taking his hands to pull him out of a lower down vehicle is ok. Needing to lift him in to a higher one is difficult though as he's very weak.
If it was a case of him not being able to stand for a short period then I can see the advantage of guiding him out of the SUV and in to his chair.
If worst comes to worst is an adapted vehicle an option or is that a case of cross that bridge if it ever comes to it?

Back
Top Bottom