Estate or SUV?

Associate
OP
I guess it comes down to what kind of impairment your wife may have. Whether it's lower body strength/movement that's impacted or everywhere.
My grandad can stand on his own two feet so taking his hands to pull him out of a lower down vehicle is ok. Needing to lift him in to a higher one is difficult though as he's very weak.
If it was a case of him not being able to stand for a short period then I can see the advantage of guiding him out of the SUV and in to his chair.
If worst comes to worst is an adapted vehicle an option or is that a case of cross that bridge if it ever comes to it?

I think i will cross that bridge when or if that time comes. An estate works well for me and what the current situation.

Associate
OP
Well after a fair bit of research it all now comes down to what i want to spend. I have been looking A6 avant or Passat estate. I liked my last passat bit dull and boring but it done the job with out any issues until someone wrote it off for me. Or a Touareg. Going to take family at the weekend and see what would work best of us all. Also hoping with it being the end of the month i might be able to get a half decent deal. My friend did suggested i look at Lexus RX400h, i have driven one before but, i liked it just not overly keen it visually.

Associate
OP
is there enough power in the passat estate, per the other specific thread discussion 150bhp no ?
.... but there are few car purchases where you don't compromise somewhere

I know what you're saying, it's a massive drop in power from what i have been use to. I guess its my sensible head, with my budget i can get a 5 year old Passat. If i go for an Audi A6 Avant with a 3.0TDI or a VW Touareg they are about 8-10 year cars. a lot depends on how sensible i am going to be with the over all situation.

Associate
if your looking at SUV's or estates, then consider an A6 Allroad. 90% of the SUV capabiilty with all the upsides of an estate.

Dont know what price bracket your looking at but >2012 C7 versions are a great car, 4x4 obvs but with the std air suspension its a magic carpet like a disco4 and can also reduce ride height to s-line when you need it. All of them are 3.0 v6 diesels too.

Soldato
but >2012 C7 versions are a great car, 4x4 obvs but with the std air suspension its a magic carpet
would you have to prepare a good post purchase checklist to look for leaks in such a system, for either leaking dampers/compressor issues ? warranty unlikely to cover the former. .. cursory google £400/corner parts

Associate
if it was leaking the car would be sat on the floor with lots of red lights! i think these C7's are pretty reliable as it goes and if you buy approved used its going to have 2 years warranty on it anyhow. wouldnt worry me tbh, ymmv.

Man of Honour
Rather than start a new thread does anyone have much experience with Nissan SUVs? I had a lift in one awhile back and the body roll was horrific so I assumed it had a problem with the suspension but then I've been in 2 different ones since with the same horrid roll in bends or bumpy road - I can't believe they are like that normally?

Associate
nothing wrong with them as a 'car'. fairly reliable, but dont go expecting it to have any driving dynamics. weve had a couple and its a decent enough family car/school run/shops etc etc. on the upside, cheap to run so long as you dont buy new.

Associate
would you have to prepare a good post purchase checklist to look for leaks in such a system, for either leaking dampers/compressor issues ? warranty unlikely to cover the former. .. cursory google £400/corner parts
Car shampoo, spray bottle, run the car and spray the lines/shocks etc. You'll get lots of bubbles if there is a leak!

if your looking at SUV's or estates, then consider an A6 Allroad. 90% of the SUV capabiilty with all the upsides of an estate.

Dont know what price bracket your looking at but >2012 C7 versions are a great car, 4x4 obvs but with the std air suspension its a magic carpet like a disco4 and can also reduce ride height to s-line when you need it. All of them are 3.0 v6 diesels too.
The A6 commands quite a premium price, I bought a newer Touareg (with 1000kg more towing capacity, so I'd question the 90% capability) under the same budget.

Soldato
Since this is a large suv thread, anyone got any feedback on mazda cx5? Been to every dealer in Bolton and wife has decided on a sport nav plus version of this

Back
Top Bottom