• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eTeknix review i9-10900x and i9 10940x

Associate
Looks OK for the money, stronger than TR 2xxx which I can't even buy anymore and much cheaper than TR3xxxx, Ryzen 9 is not an alternative due to lack of lanes. 4.9-5Ghz on all cores should go well.

TrM

TrM

Associate
I wasn’t really expecting much for the new CPU’s and it looks like it exactly what I got. No real upgrades over previous cpu but with a massive price cut.

I hate to say it becouse whilst the intel HEDT line up from intel isn’t bad but amd are defo offering more of everything but clock speed in this area. Intel look off balance atm and amd really did catch intel napping and now amd have such a strong line up from top to bottom atm. I expect intel to throw everything but the kitchen sink at this market in the future but for now amd seem to have the edge

Soldato
god looking at the power draw and temps, as said overclocked the 10940x pulls 450w holy **** compare that to the 3900x's pitiful 261w once its overclocked, and temps nearly at the 100 degrees mark, thats going to need delidding for sure, unless there soldered ihs's.

all comes down to cooler choice at the end of the day, but still the power draw of the refresh intel chips is embarrassing for sure, amd's 3900x/3950x sure looks like the better option for most people

Associate
If you are running hedt you probably have water, so stemp and power usage a non issue really, my water used to cope with 3 290s and an OC'd FX, these chips are cool in comparison. :D

Soldato
OP
Looks OK for the money, stronger than TR 2xxx which I can't even buy anymore and much cheaper than TR3xxxx, Ryzen 9 is not an alternative due to lack of lanes. 4.9-5Ghz on all cores should go well.

TR3xxx isnt out yet , and these are pcie 4 lanes not the 3 lanes on the 10xxx;

also, 99% of users on HEDT are not under water, and the cpu alone is using 350w

Associate
TR3xxx isnt out yet , and these are pcie 4 lanes not the 3 lanes on the 10xxx;

also, 99% of users on HEDT are not under water, and the cpu alone is using 350w

TR3 might not be out but the prices are known, PCIe 4.0 lanes don't matter right now, only SSDs can take advantage and that advantage is marginal due to overheating.

TR3 is a 280w part, that level is not for air cooling AMD even tell you so

TR1 and TR2 were upto 180w, even that is marginal on air, forget about all core overlocks with air on that.

Soldato
intel are in serious trouble if the blurred bars are anything to go off the new threadripper is an absolute monster, plus it being built on 7nm power and heat should be better (maybee a lot) time will tell.

when's the embargo lift for threadripper uk time?

Soldato
intel are in serious trouble if the blurred bars are anything to go off the new threadripper is an absolute monster, plus it being built on 7nm power and heat should be better (maybee a lot) time will tell.

when's the embargo lift for threadripper uk time?

2pm UTC, 9am EST. Same time had both companies the reviews, but Intel decided last minute over the weekend to move it to midnight UTC.
To avoid the onslaught. If you see the reviews, even on productivity the 10980XE (even overclocked at 350W power consumption on it's own!!!!) loses badly to the 3950X.

Soldato
god looking at the power draw and temps, as said overclocked the 10940x pulls 450w holy **** compare that to the 3900x's pitiful 261w once its overclocked, and temps nearly at the 100 degrees mark, thats going to need delidding for sure, unless there soldered ihs's.

all comes down to cooler choice at the end of the day, but still the power draw of the refresh intel chips is embarrassing for sure, amd's 3900x/3950x sure looks like the better option for most people

not really as PCIe lanes are completely different . TR3 results will be the key !! akk know battle with mainstream desktop has been won with AMD :)

major key for AMD and strx40 is getting pricing of PCIe 4.0 down in production ! seems middle range Aorus board that smashes x570 Xtreme in terms of VRM and PCIe lanes is a tad cheaper ! X299X would have had a leg to stand on if Boards would have been priced like X570 .

Back
Top Bottom