1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethereum?

Discussion in 'Crypto Currency & Mining' started by balky12, Apr 13, 2017.

1. balky12

Mobster

I've heard a few times recently, off different people, that Ethereum is about to kick off in a big way.

Now I don't buy into this crypto currency malarky, maybe I just miss the point, I just view it as stocks and shares. However I do see the future of using block chains with fiat currencies.

More to the point, I would like to hear people's views who clearly know than than me. I've one some research and it seems to be upward trending, but at a $45-$50 barrier come recent. It only came into existence last year from crowdfunding so maybe it has some legs in it? Maybe another Bitcoin?

I'm talking from a purchasing view point. Not mining.

2. Lokken86

Mobster

Amature thoughts coming up so be warned. Ok so Etherium could quite easily go up. It's smart contracts are being adopted by big names like Microsoft and Intel even. The problem is, it is not designed to be a store of wealth such as Bitcoin is. Etherium also has an unlimited supply of coins which may or may not reduce the value to a low number down the line. It depends on how fast its adoption goes in comparison to the overall distribution of coins really. It might not even matter though. Even the USD is uncapped In supply. Very possible Etherium will not reach silly numbers like a trillion coins or whatever any time soon.
    I think Etherium will go up a lot in value eapecially when mining stops in summer as this will end the relentless sell pressure the miners are putting on but will remain number 2 to Bitcoin forever. How far it goes nobody knows. $1000 is possible. $1 is possible. Note also that Etherium tends to fluctuate inversely to Bitcoin so if Bitcoin were to go to $2000, which it probably will, then Etherium may go back down in Bitcoin value anyway.
    Its probably the most solid alt to bet and if Bitcoin hard forked Etherium is likely to go up mega.
    At this point it's probably due a pullback so if I were to invest in ETH I'd be waiting. Bitcoin ASIC boost news putting the hurt on any hard fork ideas and legalisation if BTC in Japan are going to send Bitcoin up perhaps to $1500. At that point I'd probably start buying my ETH but that's just my opinion.

3. silversurfer

Capodecina

What date does mining stop roughly?

4. Lokken86

Mobster

Etherium is going to change from proof of work (mining) to proof of stake (gathering interest). So technically there will still be some form of mining but it will generate far fewer coins. I believe sometime this year but I don't know of any set date.

5. viralcoinmarket

Associate

Hi, am a new member here, please tell me guidelines for this forum so that i can post a thread without getting banned

6. Lokken86

Mobster

7. Mario2k

Associate

Can anyone tell me what is lowest 1kWh cost in UK ? now I am paying 16pence /1kWh

8. silversurfer

Capodecina

Lowest cost would be a solar scheme surely. I'd love to be near some kind of hydro power, uk is rarely short of rain. Not sure uk has a localised cost to that scale though, China certainly does and bitcoin is a kind of proxy for power transmission i think.

Its not a forum to be posting commercial threads, dont think we can do referrals even

bitcointalk takes any interested party afaik

Any news on POS ?

9. Drei

Gangster

I hope you got some ETH in April mate and sold it at $200 the other day :))) Got enough to buy a new house?

10. balky12

Mobster

Haha, alas I didn't, I just couldn't see it taking off. Probably due to my bias in that I can't see the real point of it. (or my lack of knowledge about it :p) I always viewed it through the lens of the greater fools theory.

Fortunately I already own a house which meant disposable wasn't exactly plentiful :p..... this is just me trying not to cry over losing out on 4/5x my investment in a month!

11. silversurfer

Capodecina

Trader says be positive above 172. Best way to buy ETH seems mining

12. Drei

Gangster

I wish I put about £10k in ETH on Saturday when it dropped to $120... shot back up to $220 today, $9k profit right here.

I am going to be honest. I am finding it extremely hard to justify the need for cryptocurrency for the common folk. It isn't used as it is mean to be, not helping the common folk, to get into it you gotta go through **** loads of hoops. Only reason anyone is into it is for the profit part not for the "better" part. It is a commodity to be traded. I am sure a few people became millionaires from trading BTC and ETH lately. On the other hand if you got in when the BTC was $1 or sub and you have 1000 BTCs, you have a huge target in your back, hackers and anyone else that might stick a gun to your face and ask for the password.

13. Drei

Gangster

I saw this on: www.cryptocompare.com

I thought it was pretty good. I like the idea behind blockchain but I really hate the way it is being used as a trading commodity for the greedy.

14. Drei

Gangster

Etherum seems to be killing it at the moment, any investment you made a few day ago would have doubled by now, so regret not gettin some when they were under $100.

15. iBSOD

Wise Guy

Mining on my bedroom pc at 3.5USD per day lol