1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethereum?

Discussion in 'Crypto Currency & Mining' started by balky12, Apr 13, 2017.

1. balky12

Mobster

I've heard a few times recently, off different people, that Ethereum is about to kick off in a big way.

Now I don't buy into this crypto currency malarky, maybe I just miss the point, I just view it as stocks and shares. However I do see the future of using block chains with fiat currencies.

More to the point, I would like to hear people's views who clearly know than than me. I've one some research and it seems to be upward trending, but at a $45-$50 barrier come recent. It only came into existence last year from crowdfunding so maybe it has some legs in it? Maybe another Bitcoin?

I'm talking from a purchasing view point. Not mining.

2. Lokken86

Mobster

Amature thoughts coming up so be warned. Ok so Etherium could quite easily go up. It's smart contracts are being adopted by big names like Microsoft and Intel even. The problem is, it is not designed to be a store of wealth such as Bitcoin is. Etherium also has an unlimited supply of coins which may or may not reduce the value to a low number down the line. It depends on how fast its adoption goes in comparison to the overall distribution of coins really. It might not even matter though. Even the USD is uncapped In supply. Very possible Etherium will not reach silly numbers like a trillion coins or whatever any time soon.
    I think Etherium will go up a lot in value eapecially when mining stops in summer as this will end the relentless sell pressure the miners are putting on but will remain number 2 to Bitcoin forever. How far it goes nobody knows. $1000 is possible. $1 is possible. Note also that Etherium tends to fluctuate inversely to Bitcoin so if Bitcoin were to go to $2000, which it probably will, then Etherium may go back down in Bitcoin value anyway.
    Its probably the most solid alt to bet and if Bitcoin hard forked Etherium is likely to go up mega.
    At this point it's probably due a pullback so if I were to invest in ETH I'd be waiting. Bitcoin ASIC boost news putting the hurt on any hard fork ideas and legalisation if BTC in Japan are going to send Bitcoin up perhaps to $1500. At that point I'd probably start buying my ETH but that's just my opinion.

3. silversurfer

Capodecina

What date does mining stop roughly?

4. Lokken86

Mobster

Etherium is going to change from proof of work (mining) to proof of stake (gathering interest). So technically there will still be some form of mining but it will generate far fewer coins. I believe sometime this year but I don't know of any set date.