Etiquette for Lycra Clad Nutters?

Soldato
I have little sympathy for the cyclist as he is obviously riding an illegaly modified ebike so he should suffer whatever the punishment he gets but it is generally nothing to do with small target etc but nearly always to do with pedestrians not looking whilst crossing the road because they dont hear anything coming. The amount of times Ive been out on my bike in the mornings and people just step out into the road without looking and I have to shout out "Look out" is ridiculous and it isnt always phone zombies either
Not wanting to derail the thread, but isn't this an issue for electric cars, and if the guy had been on an electric moped, surely the outcome would have been the same?

Soldato
I don't really see why there wasn't a charge for fleeing the location of an accident (if the sun comments via the link are true)
Maybe the CPS limit the number of charges that they follow, for budgetary reasons, as opposed to public interest, or prosecution probability..

... I've commented before, but, as a cyclist, bright clothing helps avoid collisions,
car driving at night time without lights would presumably be prosecutable, DRL's are on many cars, for safety reason, so why not cycles too.

I thought leaving the scene only applied to motor vehicles, which is the whole question in regards this guy anyway because of his modifications

The whole area of bicycles needs tightening up. The modern LED lights that they point straight on are probably brighter than dipped beam car headlights when on dark country lanes.

Actually reminds me a semi near miss I had a few weeks ago. Driving home and coming to an unlit junction I see some lights in the distance, decent distance away considering the width between the lights, so i go, then realise the lights are much closer as they are literally side by side, on a harley trike type thing. I thought motor bikes had round lights but these were deffo rectangular

Soldato
... I've commented before, but, as a cyclist, bright clothing helps avoid collisions,
car driving at night time without lights would presumably be prosecutable, DRL's are on many cars, for safety reason, so why not cycles too.

I cant help feel you are completely missing the point. I wear bright colours and have flashing lights on during daylight as I only ride during daylight and as I said, I get untold amounts of pedestrians not looking at all when crossing the road. When people arent looking because they dont hear anything then bright clothing and lights doesnt help avoid collisions as you have to have people looking to notice them (not to mention car drivers pulling out in front of you). That woman walked into the cyclist as it can be clearly seen in the video which was probably why he got off the charge, that and he handed himself in so the leaving the scene of an accident probably wouldnt stick either

Soldato
Of course, noise made by approaching vehicle will impact pedestrian reaction, I cant see any data on the relative importance of peripheral visual cues;
what bright colour do you use ?, retroreflective too

Town roads I cycle on, don't have too many pedestrians, and, I cant remember last time someone stepped out.
Since I went orange hi-viz, from yellow sash, for both cycling and running, I've seen bigger car passing distances, and, reduced incidents where drivers pulled out;
In Cambridge, I'd say, yellow (not high viz) is the most common cyclist colour, with any concession to visibility ..but 80% are men in black.

[study on the ev noise impact ... but not not in an urban , noise full, environment

49613850766_f6f620a6a3_o_d.jpg

]

Soldato
Of course, noise made by approaching vehicle will impact pedestrian reaction, I cant see any data on the relative importance of peripheral visual cues;
what bright colour do you use ?, retroreflective too

I usually wear either red or electric blue with reflective strips with matching helmet

Man of Honour
Had an absolute nightmare with a cyclist on the way to work yesterday - through no fault of the cyclist.

Caught up with them on the approach to a village with narrow streets and very inconsiderately parked cars so no chance to go around safely and something of an obstacle course to navigate. What didn't help was my pickup really hates cyclist speed - as well as my engine being cold which didn't help the cyclist speed seems to fall down a gap between the approaches the engine automatically choose between load carrying/off-road and road use so the throttle response becomes rather bursty as it struggles a bit understanding which situation it is and the cyclist was frequently altering their speed as well. (I could take it out of automatic and work the ranges manually but not a good idea when navigating around parked cars with traffic coming the other way - it doesn't shift up/down simply just makes it more or less likely to stay in a gear). So was a constant dance between falling too far behind and trying to avoid getting on top of the cyclist while also having to juggle right of way with other traffic which in a couple of instances due to poor parking you can't even see oncoming traffic until you've committed to pulling out into their path.

Soldato
As a rider/driver of all vehicle types (except HGV). I get more near misses on my push bike than any other.
Usually a motorist that decides to drive too close as he overtakes.
There is usually one near miss per ride and there's nothing you can do about it sadly.
Traffic calming measures have made it worse and created choke points on the roads.
I feel for the courteous drivers of large vehicles in particular.

Soldato
Roads are even worse since lockdown started easing. A lot more selfish drivers and impatience on display.

All of these passes happened in less than an hour's ride the other day. The van was one of the closest passes I've ever experienced. If I hadn't moved he'd have hit me but he did manage to get up to the car in front and sit on their arse at 25mph in a 20. I sat behind him the whole way and then I overtook him at the next lights 2 miles later. Completely worth it.

zRDU5Qt.png
6ZIrSq2.png
MwTcMlp.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Saw one today - cyclist coming the other way on a dead straight half mile stretch of road, car coming up behind him so close the cyclist quickly got onto the verge - was nothing behind me at all so if the driver had slowed down for 2 seconds he would have had the whole road to go around in.

Soldato
I had experienced some of the worst driving while out on my bike on th first weekend of the eased lockdown. Worst was while I was doing 27mph in a 30. A car overtook me (with a decent amount of space, but none the less would have been 40mph+) then instantly braked hard to a stop blocking the road to turn right. Rude, discourteous and dangerous.

Soldato
Looks to be a commercial van. Is it worth reporting him to his business?

Unlikely to a small business. Most of the time they do nothing and even with the larger businesses they say they've done something but never what :)

The Met have it and they've sent an NIP to a driver that did the same move at that spot (though not quite as close) so I'll be surprised if they don't do anything but they are known for inconsistency.

Man of Honour
Roads are even worse since lockdown started easing. A lot more selfish drivers and impatience on display.

All of these passes happened in less than an hour's ride the other day. The van was one of the closest passes I've ever experienced. If I hadn't moved he'd have hit me but he did manage to get up to the car in front and sit on their arse at 25mph in a 20. I sat behind him the whole way and then I overtook him at the next lights 2 miles later. Completely worth it.

CLOSE SHAVES

Those are really taking the mick.

I had to cycle 40k on Saturday (flat tyre - walked home - cycled back to see if I could inflate it later) and the number of cars & vans that skimmed me far closer than I was comfortable with was surprising.
This was all on quiet, wide NSL country roads so really there's no excuse at all.

EDIT
And when I got into a village, people coming the other way on the wrong side of the road to pass parked cars, when I'm already committed and coming through. I mean just driving straight at me expecting me to jump up on to the pavement or something.

Soldato
wow 3 incidents, guess you have the plates, as said, I think I'd complain/submit the video.

Had one incident at the weekend, people travelling faster with less attention, we will see if the speeding fines continue to rise like David Jamieson was mentioning in news

Adopt a more crown riding/aggressive strategy - when there is no room ...

I thought thehy would be putting in some 20 zones in towns to facilitate cycling, if anyone knows QE bridge in cambridge have they really designated 1 of the 2 lanes for cycling, as, temporary, markings suggest ?

Soldato
wow 3 incidents, guess you have the plates, as said, I think I'd complain/submit the video.

I do but two of them were in Surrey Police jurisdiction. While they have a fancy online portal (they share the Met's system) they rarely if ever seem to do anything so I didn't waste my time submitting. I reported the van as that was Met jurisdiction and (if lucky still) they do prosecute.

I also witnessed a Corsa bonnet vs child cyclist on a mini roundabout the day before. Probably a 50/50 situation as I can't be sure if the child was already on the roundabout and technically child should have given way to the Corsa but it was oh so easily avoided if the Corsa driver just looked forward and applied his brakes :( Fortunately child OK besides grazes. I spent a while at the scene helping stop the driver and get witness details for his Dad. The driver was about 80+, could barely understand him. Police did breathalyse (pretty standard) but I regret not thinking of suggesting they eyesight test him too.

As for taking the lane. I usually would with the van but I looked back to move out and he was already right on my tail so I had no choice and for the blue Corsa just didn't think he was going to attempt an overtake on a blind solid white lined bend.

And when I got into a village, people coming the other way on the wrong side of the road to pass parked cars, when I'm already committed and coming through. I mean just driving straight at me expecting me to jump up on to the pavement or something.

Yeah this is pretty common. I'm riding out in the middle because of car door risk and suddenly I'm squished basically into the car by an impatient oncoming driver.

Soldato
Me cycling along one of the back roads. Caterham waits for a suitable gap to overtake followed by a **** in a baby Range Rover who honks their horn as they pass. I can only assume to draw attention to the fact they couldn't afford a proper Range?

Back
Top Bottom