euro & american trucks

Soldato
It's all about the large grilles.
2008_ford_f-450_super_duty-pic-2566.jpeg

BlobServer

Edit: On a side note, what looks more beautiful than this:
6a00d8341c4fbe53ef014e89acf3b3970d-800wi.png

Permabanned
US trucks look bad ass... It seems that each one has a soul, unlike European ones.

I think most of US trucks have massive cabins too, the place where the driver can sleep is absolutely massive compared to the European ones, where there is just space for a plank.

Last edited:
Associate
I guess it's a mixture of things, they have bigger roads, big cities etc so they dont have to worry about anything. On our roads, especially UK, is definitely easier to drive a truck with a short cabin rather than the long one. Imagine all these delivery drivers trying to get one of these American monsters to deliver some stuff to a Tesco in a town centre.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24466451 said:
I believe the European restrictions on vehicle length are about to be changed so we may see more US style cabs. The legislation was first brought in to stop massive trucks coming into cities as they were deemed to be dangerous. Instead the cabs got shorter and the vehicles stayed the same length so there was no benefit to be had there, rather the shorter cabs reduced visibility and have actually made things more dangerous.

This is just what I've read about the rational anyway.

We run trailers longer than the current regs as part of a trial with the ministry of transport, we have to inform them of the destination and exact route of every journey as part of the trial.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We run trailers longer than the current regs as part of a trial with the ministry of transport, we have to inform them of the destination and exact route of every journey as part of the trial.

How's it going? Is it promising?

Is it still limited to a max of 44 tons?

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;24466451 said:
I believe the European restrictions on vehicle length are about to be changed so we may see more US style cabs. The legislation was first brought in to stop massive trucks coming into cities as they were deemed to be dangerous. Instead the cabs got shorter and the vehicles stayed the same length so there was no benefit to be had there, rather the shorter cabs reduced visibility and have actually made things more dangerous.

This is just what I've read about the rational anyway.

The regs being changed are unlikely to bring about a change in this when DAF, Volvo and Merc form the majority of the market, the machines cost far too much for companies to change on a whim and there really isn't any reason to go for the newer style even if it becomes feasible.

Did some quizzing on the subject at hand today amongst the drivers that darkened my desk, the general consensus amongst the lads seems to be that under current regs long nose cabs are primarily for "self obsessed ****s far too in love with the job" the type that proudly show off their trucks at shows t'would seem.

Last edited:
Soldato
How's it going? Is it promising?

Is it still limited to a max of 44 tons?

No problems so far as I am aware I don't know about the weight limits as I only found out about while on the induction a couple of months ago and it wasn't something I asked.

They are only something like 2 meters or so longer at a guess, enough for another cage or pallet space, and the trailer is fitted with another Axel at the back, so 3 rather than 2.

Last edited:
Associate
It's the same with most American things though. Look at the size of their fire engines compared to ours, or even ambulances:

Lardy American Amulance

Compared to:

Compacy & Bijou UK Ambulance

Years ago, our local ambulance service bought in some American (I think they were GMC tractor units) ambulances. After a series of accidents and a couple overturning due to the dodgy American chassis, the tractor units were replaced with European (Mercedes) chassis, keeping the large American patient compartment with no further issues!

Apparently, 'Euro' trucks like the Kenworth K100 which Optimus Prime (and Ultra Magnus btw) transformed into are known as 'Cabovers' in the land of the free...

Soldato
I saw an American haulage train yesterday. Two engines at the front, two at the back. 130 carriages, consisting of 1 large storage container on the bottom and two average ones on top....

Absolutely gigantic thing.

Also, everything in America is scaled up. The interstates are massive and are the primary way to get around. In Phoenix, the major interstates are all at least three lanes wide as the primary roads going through a city larger than London. Had you stayed on some of those roads as well you'd have ended up in LA... It's just a different way of doing things...

Also, big things... Ford Excursion's are not uncommon, nor are duplex trucks (a pickup truck with four wheels on the back axel). These often pull a 'fifth wheel' which is basically a 25m trailer which attaches to said pickup via a ball and hitch located in the pickup bed right over the rear axel.

Everything stateside is massive because they have the space for it.

kd

Man of Honour
Also bear in mind that in Europe the roads tend to be smaller and often the trucks drive in cities, and it's a lot easier to drive a flat fronted truck in a city and small town than an American style long nosed cab.

Soldato
As somebody who sees the US trucks on a daily basis, I can assure you the only reason for the extra size is so that more bling, lights and graphics of swooping bald eagles can be fitted. Oh, and to accommodate the extra girth of US truckers of course :)

Ha. Couldn't agree more...

Most people in this area can't drive too and the big truck owners use their trucks as bullying devices whilst they sit one foot from your rear bumper.

Associate
Ehhhh it's a similar style sure... but to me that looks wrong,... best way i can describe it would be plasticy, imitation / low quality, whatever.

I think because of the big curved roof above the cabin, and the non flat bonnet.

Man of Honour
Anyone not seen the clip of a "euro" lorry that scooped up a small car that tried that undertake it? Then carried on at 60mph with it on the front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lze88sU9IGg

An american lorry would probably have seen bits of the car poking out but it was too close and too low to be seen on the euro.

But yeah, depends what you are trying to see.

That video is awsum, that would be so cool to see as you drive past a lorry XD

Back
Top Bottom