Eurovision! 10/12/14 May 2011

Caporegime
Stand by your beds it's back!

Tuesday 10 May
8:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC3 / BBC HD

Semi-Final 1

Sara Cox and Scott Mills present the first of this year's two semi-finals, as the 56th edition of the annual musical extravaganza gets under way at the Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany. Acts tipped to do well include Azerbaijani duo Ell/Nikki, Hungarian singer Kati Wolf, Norwegian Stella Mwangi and Russian star Alexei Vorobjov, while Icelandic folk group Sjonni's Friends and Portuguese sextet Homens Da Luta are among the more intriguing outside bets. This is the only semi-final in which UK viewers can vote. The second semi-final can be seen on Thursday night.

Thursday 12 May
8:00pm - 10:00pm
BBC3 / BBC HD

Semi-Final 2

Sara Cox and Scott Mills present the second semi-final from the Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany. Former X-Factor hopefuls Jedward will be flying the flag for Ireland, while 1998 winner Dana International will once again represent Israel - but they could both be upstaged by Estonia's Getter Jaani, who many experts have tipped as a potential winner of this year's competition. Danish rock outfit A Friend in London and Swedish pin-up Eric Saade are also among the favourites to qualify for Saturday's final, as is Bosnian singer Dino Merlin - a man whose many achievements include writing the lyrics for his country's former national anthem. UK representatives Blue will offer their thoughts on the competition so far, and there will also be interviews with some of the acts that qualified from Tuesday's semi-final. UK viewers cannot vote in tonight's semi-final.

Saturday 14 May
8:00pm - 11:15pm
BBC1

Final

Graham Norton commentates on the entertainment at the Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany, as reunited pop band Blue represent the UK in the final of the 56th edition of the competition. Though the group - Lee Ryan, Antony Costa, Simon Webbe and Duncan James - are optimistic their song I Can will bring the UK its first victory since Katrina and the Waves' 1997 triumph, many experts have tipped operatic tenor Amaury Vassili to scoop the prize for France with his epic ballad Sognu. The host nation has pinned its hopes on last year's winner Lena Meyer-Landrut, who is aiming to become the first singer to win back-to-back Eurovision titles, while Ireland will be hoping that former X Factor hopefuls Jedward managed to qualify from Thursday's semi-final.

AGD

AGD

Soldato
I love eurovision but watching the semis would ruin it for me. Half the fun is being surprised by how awful each act is - if you already knew it wouldn't be as good!

Soldato
Of course we will not win, the block voting has become so prevalent in the last few years, that it makes a mockery of the whole thing (I still remember the disgust that the wogan felt the last time he commentated)..

It is a shame also, that we keep trying with these 'pop' acts, when really, we pay for the dratted thing (we are one of the 'big 5' that funds eurovision every year) along with Germany, France, Spain and Italy. We don't have to qualify each year, we are automatically in the finals. We should probably take a leaf out of Ireland's books who, after winning rather more often than they'd like, have for the last few years, submitted joke entries (though Dustin the turkey was funny, and I fear this years attempt by jedward).

The commentary is really the only thing to watch it for.. the chances of a 'good' song coming through, are remote, Lordi was a fluke, as was proven by the subsequent 'flat on face' score of Terasbetoni the following year (bad song, should have used orjatar)

Associate
I stopped watching it when Wogan stopped commentating on it. I might watch it this year but I'm so sick of the relatively poor artists we have represent us.

Lordi were awesome though and I'm glad they won :D

Back
Top Bottom