Everton and zero money - Updated 17/11/23

Soldato
Although they have no money, you have to admire their ability to finish so well in the league. Their squad is good though, but they can't really lose players like Baines or Arteta or they would be in trouble as they can't afford any replacements.

Permabanned
Ive always wondered why Everton are struggling financially.

Every year they get good Premier League cash, they have had the odd foray into Europe for cash. The odd cup run as well.

They sell for large amounts ie Rooney, Lescott... probably others ive forgotten about.

Attendances are not that bad, what are they 35K+ on average?

So where does their money go? Do they have huge debts to pay off for some reason? Whats the wage bill like, if its that big then they will have problems under these UEFA fair play rules... I just dont understand where Everton have gone wrong, if at all!

I mean I dont expect them to spend 30-40m per season, but even the likes of Stoke who have had just a few years of top flight money and half the attendance can spend without huge transfers going out.

Soldato
I would imagine what turn over they get is chomped through in wages. I would think every transfer window for the past five or so years has seen inquiries for the likes of Cahill, Arteta, etc etc, and they have to keep them because they don't have ready funds to buy replacements so the wages keep going up. They have borrowed from the banks, and I would imagine have debts to service.
They are a team that needs to sell at least one decent player a year and for the past two years they haven't have they?

Soldato
Ive always wondered why Everton are struggling financially.

Every year they get good Premier League cash, they have had the odd foray into Europe for cash. The odd cup run as well.

They sell for large amounts ie Rooney, Lescott... probably others ive forgotten about.

Attendances are not that bad, what are they 35K+ on average?

So where does their money go? Do they have huge debts to pay off for some reason? Whats the wage bill like, if its that big then they will have problems under these UEFA fair play rules... I just dont understand where Everton have gone wrong, if at all!
O
I mean I dont expect them to spend 30-40m per season, but even the likes of Stoke who have had just a few years of top flight money and half the attendance can spend without huge transfers going out.

Stoke are bankrolled by a rich chairman, kenwright might as well be a cornershop owner in comparison.

Don
I would imagine what turn over they get is chomped through in wages.

That's exactly it. They pay wages beyond their means.

As for the OP's question as to why Kenwright hasn't been able to find a buyer, many question whether he's actually looking.

Soldato
It's to the great injustice of modern football that a club like Everton, doing decent money (as said), should be even slightly considered to be financially unstable.

The system is ****ed.

Caporegime
They don't pay huge wages, nor abnormal for the prem league, they have wasted quite a bit which would have eaten into their wages and transfer funds for years, Saha was always a truly horrible choice, a small team with few resources really can't cope with a sicknote, and not one from Utd who would have been on very decent wages.

Yakuba was a horrible buy aswell. Overall I'd guess its the stadium and its facilities. Arsenal make the same game day money as Utd with an 20k seating advantage, why, corporate. If you've got none, you're boned, if you've got some, you're good, if you've got loads, you're minted. Arsenal's club level/boxes/executive seats bring in basically as much cash as the other 50k+ seats combined.

I can't say I know if Everton have much in the way of executive/club level going on at Goodison but I'd guess not. Arsenals most expensive season ticket is £1800+, cheapest almost £900, Evertons cheapest is £450ish and most expensive is under £650. Premier league money is very little, tv money is good but league position isn't much at all.

Seems to be that say in 2009 they had a 80mil turnover, spent 50mil of that on wages, were 40mil in debt so paid off 4mil in interest. then they had basically 30mil of other operating expenditure, and a few million in real loses which basically was just not paying off interest on the 40mil debt. So last year the debt was almost 7mil higher, turn over the same but wages went up 5mil.

They really need to bump season ticket price and their commercial income is pathetic.

They took in under 20mil in gate receipts, while Arsenal and Utd bring in 100mil a piece.

It really is as simple as say not buying yakubu for what, 13mil iirc, would have meant the debt would currently be smaller and for years they'd have been paying it off rather than adding to it in interest.

Thing is on a turnover that small(80mil vs Arsenal/utd's 250mil) then one season where one player turns out to be a poor buy can completely turn the club around while Arsenal/Utd have a lot more leeway in terms of mistakes.

They got a bit ahead of themselves with going for guys like Saha and Yakubu and its cost them badly. They need to do what everyone else does, charge the richest 5% of people who go to Everton 500% more, increase gate receipts by 5 mil, had they done that 10 years ago they'd be in profit and out of debt right now. Arsenal charge 10% of people who go to Arsenal, ridiculous fee's, and it subsides the rest(though the cheap tickets at Arsenal are more than the expensive tickets most places in the league). Thing is people expect better service for the increased cost..... maybe get a tealady to hand out the prawn sandwitches and red wine and put a nice cusion on the seats. Works at the Emirates ;)

Last edited:
Don
It's to the great injustice of modern football that a club like Everton, doing decent money (as said), should be even slightly considered to be financially unstable.

The system is ****ed.

While I don't disagree that 'the system is ****ed', Everton's board have got to take their share of the blame for spending beyond their means.

They do ok but they don't generate enough money to pay the wages they do without having to rely on developing players and selling them on for a profit. Either they cut their wage bill or they have to sell a Baines or a Jagielka every season.

Caporegime
*insert comments of rage and despair*

But I really can't be bothered right now, spent way to much time the past few days.

If you want to have a read of a transcript about a meeting between some members of an Everton fan group and Kenwright from the other day have a read here - http://www.evertoniansforchange.com/?p=224

It's rather shocking to be honest.

Caporegime
That's exactly it. They pay wages beyond their means.

As for the OP's question as to why Kenwright hasn't been able to find a buyer, many question whether he's actually looking.

Most clubs pay wages, spend beyond their means. It's a ridiculous scenario that has to be stopped completely no matter what club it is. It will force prices down and wages.

Kenwright isn't the only one looking though is he, wasn't a team assembled to find a buyer. I'm pretty sure in another season or two we will go bust. Someone will either pick up a bargain or we will dissapear.

I have to say now it takes 50-100 million in the transfer market without wages to try to catch up and compete and a billionaire to have as a trainset I really don't care any longer.

Clubs like Arsenal Liverpool etc should not even be spending beyond their means. The whole wages and transfer format needs a whole new set of rules to make these clubs run as a profitable business, won't happen though.

The system is ****ed.

In a nutshell yes. :D

Oh well I will always have the 80's :D

Soldato
That interview came across exceptionally bitter in regards to us :( silly Billy.

Also , ground share .. Yeaaaaah good luck with that. JWH might be willing to discuss it but the fans will never accept it, so move on.

Edit!

Should add I'm talking about the full interview with the fan group, not the SSN article.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Also , ground share .. Yeaaaaah good luck with that. JWH might be willing to discuss it but the fans will never accept it, so move on.

I find that incredibly short sighted tbh from both sets of fans point of view. Clubs with far bigger rivalry can share a ground and split the costs.

I'd much rather split the costs of far better stadium.

Soldato
Might have missed someone saying it already but I heard they only have about a dozen corprate boxes. This will have an impact on their revenue, not massive but considering most stadiums have 50 or more and they are where they can get mega money from people.

Got to respect them from running within their means, they will go swiftly downhill if the (minority) of fans get their wish and force Moyes out. He is a marvellous manager.

Don
Personally its bad investments and now Mr Kenwright having to pay back debts that he has put himself and the club under, being a season ticket holder its now the norm to have no money, so much so that most people expect to be like this...

You also have to think that we are not the only club in Liverpool, Man City were in a similar position as us untill they got a huge investment.

Chang do not pay much into the club (nice beer though)

Moyes is a fantastic manager considering the money that he has, I think that he has bought some class players at such a low price, we just need a few more of them :D

Stelly

Soldato
I find that incredibly short sighted tbh from both sets of fans point of view. Clubs with far bigger rivalry can share a ground and split the costs.

I'd much rather split the costs of far better stadium.

Difference being, we have options .. we'l be fine without ground share. So thanks but no thanks.

Everton on the other hand, without ground share (Which we'l have to pay pretty much everything towards it seems) they seem to be a bit buggered.
Thats not a good enough reason for us to give up half a stadium we'll have to pay for to save a rival.

-edit-
I should also add, whilst i might seem a bit bitter, its nothing most Everton fans don't deserve for their attitude towards us during the H&G fiasco. Revelling in the fact we'r "going down" and our owners having drained all the cash from the club.

It's sweet, bitter sweet, that they now appear to be begging on their knees to the council and us for a ground share to save themselves from the real problems they've faced over the last 10 years, which a few fans are finally waking up to the truth that its not Liverpool which are/have crippled them but their idiot board

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom