Everton and zero money - Updated 17/11/23

Soldato
The FA have shown they haven't got any balls whatsoever, they'll probably hit Everton with a small fine and say "carry on", they may as well pull the plug on FFP as it's clearly not working because if they aren't apply real punishments what's the point.

Associate
The problem with that cap is that it still maintains status quo with the teams that are already stronger not requiring to spend as much to keep the squad in shape. Teams that need to strengthen will always be playing catch up!
It doesn't if you set it at a mid point for the league rather than the high end currently. I mean it doesn't matter if more money comes into the game from Saudi or America or McDonalds, the players and agents just get richer. Same with talk of restructuring the PL to give more to the Champ and below. The wages will just go up and the clubs won't be any better off.

Don
The challenge for Everton will come next season when the 3 year cycle excludes 17/18 (where they didn't lose much) and is replaced by this season.
It looks like Everton failed the challenge. The PL have announced that they've referred Everton to an independent commission following breaches of the PL's profit and sustainability rules for the 3 year cycle ending last season.

Soldato
They are in a right mess now. I imagine this would come with a points deduction.

Ahh just read a fine or transfer ban more likely. Thats a shame.

Last edited:
Don
How big and what type of punishment they receive will depend on how big the breach is. As discussed in this thread, Everton were potentially as much as £40m over the PL's profit and sustainability limits for the 3 year cycle to 20/21 when factoring in allowable losses and basic covid losses but escaped punishment as they successfully argued additional covid losses were the cause of that £40m. They claimed a total of £170m in covid losses which I'd guestimate was around £100m more than the basics (lost match day revenue and tv rebate) but nobody knows what number the PL actually accepted, only that they were happy with at least £40m(ish).

Everton's accounts for last season aren't filed yet however they're likely to show a sizeable loss, which will replace a £9m FFP profit from the 17/18 accounts. A £30m FFP loss would mean Everton needing to now prove close to £80m of additional covid losses over and above the basics.

Associate
It's a nonsense anyway that the owner with a willingness to bankroll it can't. How does this differ from Leicester just paying off the debt? Genuine question because I don't know. FFP needs to just die and have something workable knocked up.

Soldato
It's a nonsense anyway that the owner with a willingness to bankroll it can't. How does this differ from Leicester just paying off the debt? Genuine question because I don't know. FFP needs to just die and have something workable knocked up.
FFP is only there to help the established elite maintain where they are

Caporegime
TBH the horse has now bolted so it doesn’t matter what I think, but in a perfect world, I would like to see a more NFL system with salary caps with teams that finish lower in the table able to spend more on wages and transfers, to then level the field

That would destroy any hope of us competing in Europe though. NFL only works because it's a closed system.

It also would lead to teams throwing games later in the season to get better caps for next season

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom