• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA 2080 Ti Flickering Screen with 4k AV Receiver

Soldato
Hi all,

Recently upgraded to the following spec:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,273.83 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

After a little teething trouble involving Windows 7 DVD, I managed to install Windows 10 via a USB stick, onto the WD Black NVME drive.

I'm still installing all updates and current driver's (already done Gigabyte & EVGA updates) when I went to set the GPU settings to 4k/50hz (my Hisense 65A6200 TV's native resolution) which is fed by my AV Receiver (a Sony STR-DN1080), the TV would flicker between blank screen and desktop for a few seconds.
I don't have a desk (pesky kids requiring a dining table instead), so I use the Lounge TV as my monitor.

I installed Blizzard's Battle.net, ready to reinstall Diablo 3 - I fiddled with the video settings (both within game and via Windows).
If I set the resolution to 3840 x 2160 50hz, and enable HDR, the colours would go darker and appear worse, with the flickering (like a persistent handshaking issue) would get much worse - to the point where I couldn't use the comouter.

I turned Windows HDR setting to off and dropped the resolution to 1080p - which reduced the problem, but didn't solve it completely.

Using high end HDMI cables from PC to AV Receiver and the same from AV Receiver to TV.

I'd really like to make use of the full capabilities of my new system, but the screen flickering is making it unusable. I'll double check that I'm using the best input HDMI port on the AV Receiver tomorrow, and swap cables about to make sure it's not those (it won't be - Im using the exact same ones for Xbone and PS4 Pro).

Anyone else had problems like this?

Soldato
the TV would flicker between blank screen and desktop for a few seconds

Had this happen to me too, but in my case it was, I left the PC on but turned off TV & AVR at night and then when I came back in the morning and turned them on it would exhibit what you said. It would only be fixed by a PC restart. Curiously, after the first few days it stopped happening. Unfortunately, I can't help you with that but I would advise you to forget about HDR on that TV. For your receiver, make sure you're using the video 1 input as the one for PC, it seems to be the only one doing 444. Also make sure your AVR's cable is in the proper HDMI slot with ARC on the TV.

Sadly AVR issues are all too common and they're a huge pain in the A when they happen. Mostly due to HDMI's stupid handshaking and the like.

Soldato
OP
Had this happen to me too, but in my case it was, I left the PC on but turned off TV & AVR at night and then when I came back in the morning and turned them on it would exhibit what you said. It would only be fixed by a PC restart. Curiously, after the first few days it stopped happening. Unfortunately, I can't help you with that but I would advise you to forget about HDR on that TV. For your receiver, make sure you're using the video 1 input as the one for PC, it seems to be the only one doing 444. Also make sure your AVR's cable is in the proper HDMI slot with ARC on the TV.

Sadly AVR issues are all too common and they're a huge pain in the A when they happen. Mostly due to HDMI's stupid handshaking and the like.

Thank you, will give it a try.

Soldato
OP
Thank you for the advice - switching to AV1 input on the AV Receiver made all the difference.
"Tested" some Netflix 4k material (Altered Carbon) and I'm still "testing", 5 episodes in :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Great to hear, could've been something a lot worse. :D
I know - it was a big decision to go for the 2080Ti - my lastl system was built in 2011 (2500k and 580GTX SLI), so I'm hoping this rig will last as long. Asife from the ridiculous expense, I've no regrets so far - played Senua's Sacrifice in 4k, 60hz last night and it looked incredible!

Back
Top Bottom