• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA GTX 980Ti Catches fire and burned to its death

Associate
So as the title says.....my GPU just randomly caught on fire last night :(:(:(

Its still in warranty so getting that sorted to send it away.....thing is i don't really want to wait....was wondering what a decent upgrade would be?

Specs

Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT 1440p 144hz
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 1866MHz
System Drive: Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD
Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently got a 1070 in replacement for a dead 980ti, nice little bump in performance. Using the same monitor and cpu as yourself.

Gibbo has a pretty tasty deal on 1070ti's just now for £400...

Associate
Oof! Thank goodness for that warranty, my 980Ti has a year left, hope it doesn't follow suit!

A 1070Ti would give a decent little bump in performance (a better deal than the 1070 at OCUK right now due to the small price difference).

Soldato
No way would I be paying the inflated price of 2 year old tech, to then settle with a sidegrade.
If you are prepared to spend then get yourself a 1080ti, or just wait.

Associate
OP
was actually at stock clock

it was random as hell....i was watching some youtube videos...it restarted, fans went into hyper drive and then hellfire and brimstone started to go down in my case.

Associate
That's unfortunate!.

Would it happen to be this exact card? "EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+", also did the fire put itself out and how long have you had the card?, my 980Ti is near on 3 year old.

mof

mof

Associate
If you don't want to wait for a replacement I think you could use EVGA's advanced RMA process to get a replacement quickly and then you don't have to rush to upgrade just yet.

I'm also interested in more details about the fire. Did the system shut itself down straight away?

Caporegime
Before anyone starts recommending what new card to buy let's wait and see what he gets offered. I'd expect a 1070. And if everything else is OK (tested it on another card yet?) I don't really see much of an upgrade is required.

Back
Top Bottom