• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA SLI GTX580 Classified Ultra benchmark/stress test

Associate
Hi all,

I've built a beast of a machine here at work for a developer with a dual processed EVGA SR-2 with 2 x overclocked Xeons along with EVGA SLI GTX580 Classified Ultra's in SLI, and whilst I'm able to check the overclock of the CPU's (running at 4.2Ghz), I'm also wanting to stress test the SLI setup of the cards as well to check case temperatures when the whole thing's under load.

I've tried Furmark, but unfortunately it only seems to load up 1 GPU, and I think it uses a bunch of CPU as well. Can anyone recommend something that will either a) load up the entire system (CPU's and GPU's all at once), or b) Just load up both video cards so I can continue to run Prime95/Intel Burn Test on the CPU's whilst it hits the graphics cards.

As usual, many thanks in advance. :)

IMG_0490.jpg

Soldato
Furmark should definitely be capable of loading up both GPUs... I've used it to stress test my GTX480s loads of times.

The traditional "full load/power test" involves running Furmark alongside IBT.

Associate
OP
Oh and BTW, I ran BF3 on it "for stress testing purposes only" ;) and was *only* able to get on average 65fps with EVERYTHING maxed out/Ultra, including 4XMSAA, Ambient occlusion etc etc @ 2560 x 1600 on a Dell 30" monitor. CPU's didn't break a sweat, but talk about an intensely GPU intensive game! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Associate
OP
Furmark should definitely be capable of loading up both GPUs... I've used it to stress test my GTX480s loads of times.

The traditional "full load/power test" involves running Furmark alongside IBT.

How do you configure Furmark to do it though? In looking at the EVGA precision software it appears it's only using 1 x GPU... or do you set up the NVIDIA control panel to do something special with Furmark.exe?

Soldato
Ah yes - that was introduced with the 5-series (I'm using GTX480s)

That shouldn't stop you using both GPUs, but it will stop furmark stressing your GPUs to 100%. Review sites tend to use high-intensity games to test power draw these days (e.g. anandtech use metro 2033).

Associate
OP
Hmmmm, seems anything I run that tries to hit the GPU also requires CPU as well - so when I'm running 100% on GPU's and I try and use Prime/IBT the GPU load drops off. Anyone know of an application that will stress the whole system (CPU + GPU) at the same time?

Associate
OP
Folding@Home

Much appreciated - am doing so now. Must say it doesn't stress the temps as much as I expected, but it's all running at 100% now, and pulling a cool 1050-1100w from the wall (with a 1200w Enermax Platimax PSU in it). Think I'm gonna have to drop the 1500w Enermax PSU into it... :eek: :eek: :eek:

folding.jpg

Back
Top Bottom