1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evolution

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by jsmoke, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Angilion

Man of Honour

On a somewhat related note, the fairly significant risk of choking to death because of woefully inadequate seperation of the pathways to stomach and lungs seems like something you wouldn't design in.

Humans could do a better job of designing humans, so if there was an intelligent designer they were really rather bad at their job.

2. Gigabit

Mobster

I'm not sure jsmoke is honestly here for serious and rational debate, look at his posts in the Trump threads.

Irrespective of that, how can you deny Evolution? It honestly boggles my mind and I'm not particularly smart. I do work in an engineering/sciency field (software engineering) so maybe that helps but something with such weight behind it in terms of many, many, many years of study and research? And it still remains relatively unchanged.

3. Gigabit

Mobster

Yes I like this one. I remember reading the probability of you just being born is some absurd number and that's just being born!

4. jpod

Wise Guy

Intelligent design is another word for creationism. It is done and dusted as a potential theory several years age. If there ever was creation science it was bad science. I am surprised it is posted in this thread in 2018/2019 and it does not need to be taken seriously.

As stated before, even religious leaders have moved on and accepted evolution in the 21st century. In the UK and worldwide. Proof https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance_of_evolution_by_religious_groups#Anglicanism

We have landed a satellite on a piece of the old universe within the last 20 years; a billion year old asteroid called Eros.

There is no longer any place to hide for religious types. Science is mans second attempt to understand the universe. It can tell us what is best for our well-being. The first attempt, religion, was conceived when man had not discovered bacteria, viruses, disease prevention, microscopes, telescopes, chemistry, physics, biology, evolution or the scientific method to name a few.

5. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Except that we created the robots. Do you know what will happen in the future with these robots once they get enough artificial intelligence?

I find it fascinating how chimpanzees have an average life expectancy of 33 years, with maximum life in wild of about 60 years, and up to stunning 78 years captive. https://www.iflscience.com/plants-a...losely-matches-that-of-human-huntergatherers/

While, the humans did also similar in the middle ages:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/241864.stm

Also, chimpanzees can beat us in photographic memory tests:

I doubt it is a tradeoff - more likely a design mistake by the creator.

6. Stretch

Capodecina

People have difficulty accepting evolution because they think it contradicts their core beliefs.

We don't have similar debates over other scientific theorem, yet all science is subject to the same scientific rigour.

7. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Quote:

1. The transitional species with clear cross over traits are non existent hence the missing links.
    2. Evolution can never account for a change in kinds i.e from a supposed fish to land creature with the various stages in-between.
    3. Evolutionists shy well away from the issue of the first supposed cell. Which according to the physical laws should be impossible to form by random chance.
    4. A missing link is what is termed as a transitional species of which there should be thousands of not hundreds of thousands. We should see snapshots of species half way through their evolution of one organism to another, We see no such thing.
    5. If you want to know more why the mechanism of Darwinian evolution is failing refer to the royal society meeting with various leading evolutionists biologists such as Gerd B Muller, the rate of mutation that we have witnessed in labs simply cannot account for:
    a) The vast amount of genetic variation.
    b) Certain biological systems cannot evolve by successive small modifications to pre-existing functional systems through natural selection.
    6. The whole foundation of neo Darwinian evolution was based on the mechanism natural selection upon random mutation, which now leading evolutionist biologists such as Gerd B Muller are now criticising.
    7. The fossil record does not prove evolution and often opposes it such as the camberia explosion or even crocodiles where fossils have been found dated back to millions of years ago where they were the exact same.
    8. It is much more likely for human existence and life in general to have occurred due to the interference of an intellegent agent rather than a blind undirected process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktkjUjcZid0

8. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

The average life expectancy being low is due to astronomical rates of child and infant mortality, nothing more.

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

See my post about GRBs - and hence my criticism of the way Evolution is pushed.

10. enkoda

Wise Guy

Ok, on that basis is any cloud that resembles an object or creature intelligently designed or is it the product of a blind undirected process?

Alternatively, show us examples of other universes where life has been created by an intelligent designer, and universes where life has come about through chance, then we can compare those with ours.

And who designed the designer? Or do we have to accept special pleading that an intelligent designer (of obvious complexity and therefore had to be designed) just came about all by itself?

11. Stretch

Capodecina

Obviously.

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

That is a whole topic of itself really as the potential nature of said designer if such existed is completely open ended and the question of who created the creator might not even make sense from the perspective of a reality outside our own - just as any simulation we create would/could be running a subset of the rules of our existence or even things we can't do in our reality such as fly just by willing it.

13. jpod

Wise Guy

Your argument is we designed killer robots which will take over earth and chimps life expectancy differs and they have a superior memory?

Don't waste my time.

14. enkoda

Wise Guy

I know it's open ended, that's why suggesting some creator, or simulation experiment or even universe farting pixies are all equally valid since, at this moment in time, they are all unfalsifiable. The notion that an intelligent designer is "more likely" than a random chance event has been plucked out of thin air.

15. 4K8KW10

Soldato

16. Stretch

Capodecina

people really should require a licence before they get access to the internet.

17. enkoda

Wise Guy

"The Anunnaki are a group of deities... [snip] ...and amazingly they are also mentioned briefly in the Bible" - must be true then.:rolleyes:

18. Screeeech

Mobster

Jesus Christ this.

A million times this

19. D.P.

Caporegime

And OCUK mods should try to uphold some level of quality in SC. Conspiracy junk should be deleted

20. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

I get people have differing opinions but if i went in the conservative thread and spouted crap about lizard people and posted youtube videos about fat greasy haired basement dwellers explaining why we are all slaves, i am pretty sure my posts would get cleaned up and i would shortly be removed to keep the thread on topic.