Excel Gurus - TEXTJOIN, CONCAT, VLOOKUP, can't find what I need...

Soldato
Stuck. It looks like I'm trying to do a vlookup with the reverse functionality of text join.

My scenario is this.

In sheet 1, I have a column with cells that might contain multiple lines of data, such as:

Action Group
<testers>
<managers>
<supervisors>

*Action group is the Row header (a1), the other 3 lines are in one cell (a2) (ie, Sheet 1, A1, A2)

In sheet 2, I have rows that match each action group in column A (because it can appear multiple times in cells in sheet 1) and their relevant permission in column B, ie;

A1 <testers> B1 yes
A2 <managers> B2 maybe
A3 <supervisors> B3 no

What I need to do in sheet 1 is take the cell with the multiple values and lookup the permissions in sheet 2.

So, in Sheet 1, in the cell next to A2, I would see "yes maybe no" (ideally separated with a comma, or semi colon, etc)

Any help, beyond massively appreciated...

Soldato
Not sure this is 100% perfect (you'll get a blank in each return), but quickly mocked up:

Sheet2: B2, copied down
Code:
=ARRAYTOTEXT(UNIQUE(IF(Sheet3!$A$1:$A$6=Sheet2!A2,Sheet3!$B$1:$B$6,"")),0)

Sheet2:

Sheet3:

Soldato
It's just different naming because I wrote the examples in a spreadsheet I already had open, where sheet1 was already in use.

So my Sheet2 = Op's Sheet1
my Sheet3 = Op's Sheet2

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
From memory you have index + match which seems to be better than using vlookups, or if you have the latest office version you can now use Xlookup.

Something like this maybe handy.

You should probably start using named ranges, and not everything needs to be on separate sheets. But I dont know the real life problem and would answer different if I seen the sheet. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom