Excluded EU cover with UK car insurance- does it exist?

Associate
Renewal time for car insurance. All quotes appear to include EU cover, resulting from various EU diktats.
Is any one aware of No EU cover motor insurance companies?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
While this is an unhelpful reply, i am curious...why does this matter? More cover the merrier surely as long as the price is agreeable?

Soldato
I don't want to open a can of political worms but as of this moment Britain is a member of the EU - so you are going to be hard pressed to find a car insurer that doesn't give you EU cover as standard!

Post-Brexit it will be another matter - depending on whether we leave with a deal or without one!

Also, what is a "diktat"?

Soldato
I don't want to open a can of political worms but as of this moment Britain is a member of the EU - so you are going to be hard pressed to find a car insurer that doesn't give you EU cover as standard!

Post-Brexit it will be another matter - depending on whether we leave with a deal or without one!

EU cover is actually compulsory on any insurance policy sold in an EU member state. Although it's the minimum required which varies from state to state.

Soldato
EU cover is actually compulsory on any insurance policy sold in an EU member state. Although it's the minimum required which varies from state to state.

Yep, but a "no deal" Brexit will change all that - I've had a 'mare this week with a few customers being abroad over the 29th March deadline and having to faff about getting a Green Card sorted!

Soldato

That means we'll have loads of people driving around Europe un-insured without realising probably. Oh well, at least they won't be able to chase you for speeding fines anymore :D

Man of Honour

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/diktat

Soldato
Yep, but a "no deal" Brexit will change all that - I've had a 'mare this week with a few customers being abroad over the 29th March deadline and having to faff about getting a Green Card sorted!
Yep,
That means we'll have loads of people driving around Europe un-insured without realising probably. Oh well, at least they won't be able to chase you for speeding fines anymore :D
Not really,

My insurance policy states that it's valid anywhere in the European Union, so really I just won't be able to use my certificate as proof that it's insured.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your responses. As sussed, EU cover is mandated by the EU, but at lowest level, i.e. 3rd Party only, whilst in a country other than where the vehicle is registered. Post Brexit? Probably nothing much will change for some time. Except in France- gendarmes will get you for anything!

Man of Honour

Yeah it is a bit of a nightmare with all the uncertainty - also atleast with my insurer I need 14 days notice to get a green card so can't even cover for the 29th/immediately after at this point if needed :s

Think that is potentially going to catch a lot of people out.

Associate
I'm going away the day after the new "exit date", as my insurer only does 3rd party by default I would have had to sort it regardless, but it was pretty painless and the green card arrived within 4 days. My parents are going over to Ireland soon too and theirs was even easier, their insurer now has an online form in the account section, fill in details and it's issued automatically

Man of Honour
I'm going away the day after the new "exit date", as my insurer only does 3rd party by default I would have had to sort it regardless, but it was pretty painless and the green card arrived within 4 days. My parents are going over to Ireland soon too and theirs was even easier, their insurer now has an online form in the account section, fill in details and it's issued automatically

All stuff we shouldn't have to do though.

Back
Top Bottom