Exercises for core muscles?

Soldato
I assume core muscles are stomach and lower back?

What gym machine exercises can you do, I'd rather not do thing like sit-ups or stretching with balls etc.

Man of Honour
Machines go against the very nature of developing your core. They are designed to isolate muscles, not get them all working in unison.

Soldato
a good one is like a plank/pushup, but you put one hand on your opposite shoulder for 3 seconds, then swap over.
Rinse and repeat.
Watch out for planks..

I gave myself a frozen should for a couple of years after doing them - not fun.

It was only after that my good lady's masseuse said she's had to deal with many people with problems caused by doing planks and it's not necessarily down to a poor method either.

Soldato
You probably need to do all the things you hate...

Planks, Squats, Deadlift, Burpees, Military press... etc etc.. the amount of activity to help overall "core" strength are way beyond just doing sit-ups....

Don
Watch out for planks..

I gave myself a frozen should for a couple of years after doing them - not fun.

It was only after that my good lady's masseuse said she's had to deal with many people with problems caused by doing planks and it's not necessarily down to a poor method either.

Likewise, I injured an intercostal muscle on my ribs doing planks.

I'll be sticking with pushups and the rest from now on.

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYX5FpYZA7c&t=382s for some inspiration if you don't like planks.

Jeff is starting to grow on me and seems to get a lot of praise, generally, does seem to give some very good advice and usually some interesting exercises to try.
Best "fitness" man on YT I think.
He doesn't go off about why you shouldn't do the exercise, he explains the reasons clearly, and the alternative and why its much better for you.

Associate
Farmers walks, waiters walk, suitcase walk, front squats, zercher squats/hold and even just pull ups - all hit the core from a stabilisation perspective and imo a lot more fun than planks, do like hollow body holds though.

Also literally all of the big main lifts when done properly with free weigths will engage the core to some extent.

Associate
Forget the gym for core training, join a Pilates class instead.

I’ve trained mostly with weights almost all year adult life but 4 years ago had to have a back op (discectomy) so had to take time off from the gym, then struggled to get back into a routine. My wife recommended Pilates having done classes for around 3 years and said it would help me strengthen my core muscles and teach me better posture. I reluctantly joined a studio and within only 2 or 3 sessions I started noticing results. I’m about 4 months in with just 1 hour per week and the benefits have been amazing. My firm arse is back and just generally feel much more solid around my core. Be warned though, it can be quite brutal and am often in pain (good pain) for 2-3 days especially now I’m into the intermediate level.

I would recommend a dedicated place with small classes rather than the ones the chain gyms do as you’ll get much better focus on your specific needs.

I also highly recommend it for those (like me) who have worn their joints out doing weights and are looking for something as good for the muscles but lesser impact on joints.

Back
Top Bottom