Exercises you can do at home with no equipment?

Soldato
I'm 34 and fat. I'm also pretty weak as well so I've decided to try and do something about it. I'd like to start off by doing simple exercises at home as I'd feel pretty embarrassed about being in a gym at the moment.

Does anyone have any tips for an exercise regime I can do without leaving the house and without any equipment?

Soldato
Pop up pilates for beginners with casey ho on youtube.
Its about ten minutes long, start with that for two weeks, so you start to develop a core before you start any other exercise.
Means you should have less likelyhood of injuring yourself with further exercises.
Then move on to a planks app on your phone for the next two weeks, further core development.
Then start actual exercising.

Man of Honour
Walk
Run
Push ups
Burpees

Just keep moving. Walk up all stairs. etc. But diet is the key rather than exercise. Sort your diet out :) Good luck though and good on you for wanting to fix it.

Too much temptation to bin it off at home, get a gym membership. Nobody will judge you there, if I see overweight people at the gym the only thing that crosses my mind is well done for doing something about it. Google 5x5 stronglifts and sort your diet out, don't assume you can out train a bad diet as it does not work,.

Soldato
I know it's easy to say, but don't feel embarrassed going to the gym. You do see some... 'odd' people at the gym, but generally I give them respect for making the effort.

For losing weight, from personal experience I recommend getting a bike. It's a quick and simple thing to do, ride 30 mins a day or something similar, would make a big difference. As also said, sorting your diet is key too.

Man of Honour
The Joe Wicks sessions are good. If you are unfit make sure you look for the ‘low intensity’ one. It’s still hard, it just won’t kill your knees / it’s injury proof.

Tbh I think high intensity interval training (HIIT), whilst excellent, is an easy way to hurt yourself if you aren’t familiar with your bodies capabilities - don’t go mega on your first session!

Also, I’m overweight at the moment and I’ve been successfully combatting it by: (a) being conscious with my foods - this doesn’t mean ‘salad only’ but limiting portions, no snacks and avoiding daily alcohol and (b) walking! Making sure I get at least an hour of walking in a day on top of my walk to work.

If you opt for lots of walking then do yourself a favour and get some anti-shafing underwear, it’ll save you a lot of discomfort. ‘Under armour’ is a known brand for this.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd like to start off by doing simple exercises at home as I'd feel pretty embarrassed about being in a gym at the moment.

That’s exactly what the gym is for, why is it embarrassing? You’d be surrounded by people in exactly the same situation as you.

The amount of people who’ve told me they ‘want to get fitter before they go to a gym’

Join a gym ffs.

Back
Top Bottom