Exhaust banging on modified cars - whats the point?

Soldato
Each to their own, we all have individual preferences, I get it but I’d like to understand what real world benefits these noises have or are a result of elsewhere in the engine.

I’m talking specifically about the stupidly loud banging and cracking every time someone lifts their foot off the accelerator on a tuned Fiat 500 or A3, for example; Not the beautiful burble of a C63.

To me, it sounds like the engine is a mile away from blowing up.

Do these noises add extra BHP points or is it just a look at me thing?

/oldman

Soldato
The unburnt fuel adds extra BHP.

The burbles you have are equally fake, so not sure you can complain about one and say the other is okay.

Soldato
It comes from rally where the timing is retarded when you let off the accelerator so the fuel is still combusting as it leaves the cylinder. This causes high pressure in the exhaust which keeps the turbo spooled for your next hit on the accelerator.

Not great for your cats cats obviously.

Hyundai do claim to use it for performance too.

Otherwise it's just for noise.

Associate
Crackle tunes specifically designed map to crackle pop and bang on the overrun, completely different to the DSG farts that happen only when giving it beans. I can imagine they get very tiresome to drive with that constant din going on.

Soldato
I'm a member of an Abarth owners Facebook group and its constantly hounded by people asking for 'pops and bangs' maps on the cars. Personally don't see the point, if you get a pop on overrun great if not no point simulating it all the time.

Soldato
It’s not half as annoyingly retarded as the “whooooosh” noise some local scrote has added to his crappy little polo every time he changes gear.
Basically sounds like a female tennis player groaning when he drives down the street. What the hell is that all about?

Associate
A well tuned car will pop on the over-run, and it does sound good. But pop and bang maps are a bit silly. Seems to be because everything a turbo these days. Are the exhausts hotter or something that allows unburnt fuel to burn?
Anti-lag is the proper way to do it and serves a purpose.

Soldato
A well tuned car will pop on the over-run, and it does sound good. But pop and bang maps are a bit silly.

+1

Random pops and bangs on overrun sound great IMO, doesn't happen every time and occurs at different points of the rev range.

Lifting off and having your car emulate an AK-47... And wheres it's repeatable time and time again... That mod should be 'deleted'

Associate
It's a god awful waste of fuel. Constantly seeing/hearing kids in their early 20s driving around in low gear to keep "dem popzandbangz" going as they drive around residential areas.

Sounds terrible and just highlights the people who are going to drive around like a loon. Same goes with ridiculous dump valves too.

I'll allow it on rally cars as it serves a functional purpose.

Back
Top Bottom