Exhaust banging on modified cars - whats the point?

Soldato
This whole thing seems to be getting worse. It's pretty irritating of you live somewhere built up and tards are driving around with pops and bangs at night.

I wonder if it improves your chances of getting laid.

Soldato
My C63 occasionally gives a pop on the downchange, and sometimes crackles on the over-run.

It's quite a pleasing effect to have it occasional like this. If it happened all the time it'd do my nut in.

It never does it without you pressing on. If it did it in 30 zones I'd be embarrassed, not impressed.

Associate
I dislike loud exhausts. There's a small hatchback, which I can only believe to be a boy racer Corsa, with a really loud exhaust that bangs as he over revs it. This has happened 2-3 times now, after 2300hrs and I hate it. They should be banned.

The Corsa VXR Clubsport came as standard with a Remus exhaust which does pop and bang from the factory so could be one of them.

Soldato
It's quite a pleasing effect to have it occasional like this. If it happened all the time it'd do my nut in.

I always remembered an old mate when he got his first car when we were 17, and of course on went a sporty exhaust. He liked it at first because of the loud sound, but when he got a job that required 20 miles on a dual carriageway, he said it used to do his head in. Even when cruising at 70 you'd still get the vroooooom. There was no escape.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I always remembered an old mate when he got his first car when we were 17, and of course on went a sporty exhaust. He liked it at first because of the loud sound, but when he got a job that required 20 miles on a dual carriageway, he said it used to do his head in. Even when cruising at 70 you'd still get the vroooooom. There was no escape.
Depends on the quality of the exhaust. A mate bought a barry'd Mk3 Mondeo with dual bean cans and it droned horrendously on the motorway.
I bought an Eisenmann exhaust for my Z3 Coupe and it sounded great, with no droning at all.

Associate
Yep depends on a lot of things but a crap cheep exhaust will only make your ears bleed.
Mine is quite loud considering there is nothing between it and my ears most of the time, but its magic when doing 7k plus pulls out in the country away from everyone.

Soldato
The Corsa VXR Clubsport came as standard with a Remus exhaust which does pop and bang from the factory so could be one of them.
Whatever this one was, there is no way it could be factory. It was stupidly loud and I could still hear it over a mile away. Def boy racer who'd done it himself kind of job.
The noise was equivalent to fireworks in close proximity.

Soldato
People get their cars mapped specifically so it'll pop and bang more. I appreciate a few pops but as with everything, there's a limit. There's an irritating fiesta st which is always driven around my neighborhood every evening for a few hours, it bangs every second when it passes, it freaks the dog out and all of my neighbours have mentioned what a massive **** he is.

If it was a nicer car I could probably appreciate it a bit more but it doesn't even sound nice, its literally just BANG BANG BANG BANG

Soldato
A much more heinous trend is that of fake engine noise via speakers! Interior sound and even worse exterior! The Audi’s with it sounds terrible, heard a Bentayga creeping at the lights aswell and that felt a bit fake aswell tho not 100% sure it used a speaker.

Soldato
People get their cars mapped specifically so it'll pop and bang more. I appreciate a few pops but as with everything, there's a limit. There's an irritating fiesta st which is always driven around my neighborhood every evening for a few hours, it bangs every second when it passes, it freaks the dog out and all of my neighbours have mentioned what a massive **** he is.

If it was a nicer car I could probably appreciate it a bit more but it doesn't even sound nice, its literally just BANG BANG BANG BANG

There's a Merc hatchback that lives at the bottom of my road exactly the same. Always drives down, clutch down, blipping his throttle to make it pop

Soldato
Mine will do give one or two loud bangs if I gear up at a certain RPM but it isn't garunteed at all and isn't mapped to pop and bang like some of the cars that drive past work through out the day. There's a corsa and fiesta that have it mapped and you know when they are approaching as it's high revs then let off pop and bang then back on revs and off etc etc without ever shifting from second to third.

Guess I should make the most as I'm looking at going for a hybrid as my next car which I highly doubt will pop and bang.

Associate
Id take a flat 6 over a v6 any day of the week. The v6 in my TT doesn't sound nearly as nice as the flat 6 in the porsche.

Or a Subaru like mine with a flat 6, its one of the reasons i am reluctant to sell it - flat 6 with a proper 6MT. That will do, don't make em like they use to.

Associate
Modern cars and modifiers make me laugh. But manufacturers aren't a lot better.

Tuned exhausts to open a flap above a certain RPM just for the noise.

Fake pops and bangs.

Real engine noise deliberately piped into the cabin.

Fake engine noise played into the cabin.

hear, hear...

Associate
It's quite common for the aural involvement of a vehicle to have a sizable impact of the overall enjoyment. In many ways and for many people it's akin to having good steering feel, or a nice gated shifter, it's another level of driver involvement.

Cars with more than 4 cylinders generally speaking will have this resonance noise associated with larger engines - just as you hear in the clip here on start up - from 3/4k rpm+ its a totally different animal but its not something you can replicate with a 4 cylinder engine or a 4 cylinder with a turbo. My last cars have had 6, 8 and 6 cylinders. Aside from the pleasing noise larger CC engines are far more robust and less stressed than 4 cylinder cars ragged to **** and falling apart @ 100k miles (if they make it that far) - sadly large engines like these are going the way of the T Rex, so I am certainly getting another V8 Next...

Caporegime
Cars with more than 4 cylinders generally speaking will have this resonance noise associated with larger engines - just as you hear in the clip here on start up - from 3/4k rpm+ its a totally different animal but its not something you can replicate with a 4 cylinder engine or a 4 cylinder with a turbo. My last cars have had 6, 8 and 6 cylinders. Aside from the pleasing noise larger CC engines are far more robust and less stressed than 4 cylinder cars ragged to **** and falling apart @ 100k miles (if they make it that far) - sadly large engines like these are going the way of the T Rex, so I am certainly getting another V8 Next...

What in the ever-loving blank are you on about? :p

Maybe there is some science behind what you have said, but the construction quality and methods, tolerances, manufacturing defects, service schedules, and so on will play a far greater part in the longevity of an engine than the number of cylinders it has.

I'd much rather put my faith in a 4 cylinder SR20 or a Honda K series or something than a Subaru H6.

Or as a more extreme example a Mid 2000's VW 3 cylinder engine is less likely to go pop than a mid 2000's 10 cylinder BMW engine.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't think much folk here a clued up on cars, I take it you never drove a 6,8 or 12 cylinder car then yourself? the VED can hurt, but they last forever and sound great - try them

Currently have a 4 cylinder, a 5 cylinder, and a 6 cylinder. Have had a V8 in the past as well.

There is engineering sciency mumbo jumbo in what you have said, but it isn't particularly relevant to the real world.

I'm also not sure what relevance it has at all or why it was brought up.

Last edited:
Associate
Whats with the stuck up attitude?

Currently have a 4 cylinder, a 5 cylinder, and a 6 cylinder. Have had a V8 in the past as well.

Read the rest of my post. :p

well lets agree to disagree, I don't think i am the only one on the interweb who says large cylinder cars are far more reliable than any tin can 4 cylinder car ever will be - they also sound far better and generally speaking are screwed together better also as they tend to be more expensive to purchase in the first place - however the first thing most people check when getting a car is VED rates - is a few hundred ££ really that critical in the grand scheme of things...

They make very good buys now what with COVID 19 and all that. ;)

Subaru EZ30Ds can last for ever actually, far more reliable than the EJ 4 pot engines which tend to blow up if you go over 80

Back
Top Bottom