Exhaust Noise Restriction

Man of Honour
was speaking to a lad at a service station who was advising me something along the lines of you can be done for a noisy exhaust if yer bike was pre 1995 ?

anyone got any info on this as its not something Ive heard before and after 30 mins trawling the web i cant see anything in relation to this ?

so is it a biking truth or a biking myth ?

Soldato
Looking at the DFT site, this is what I found:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/regulationsforpoweredtwoandt4564
on motorcycles first used on or after 1 January 1985 the silencer which forms part of the exhaust system must be either:

(i) that with which the machine was first fitted; or

(ii) clearly and indelibly marked with :-

-the relevant BS marking BS AU 193/T2, BS AU 193a, 1990/T2, BS AU 193a, 1990/T3; or

-the relevant "e" marking to show compliance with EC Directive 89/235; or the relevant "e" marking to show compliance with Chapter 9 of EC Directive 97/24; or

-the name or trade mark of the manufacturer or marked with that manufacturer's part number - relating to it.

The European Community noise limits applicable to new motorcycles first used from 1 April 1991 are:

Motorcycle Category by cm3: Limits in dB(A)
Up to and including 80: 77
Between 80 and 175 (incl.): 79
Above 175: 82

Motorcycles approved to EU Directive 97/24/EC, Chapter 9 will be 2dB(A) less than the above figures.

(Note: the precise regulations for motorcycle exhausts are complex and it is recommended that they are studied closely to obtain accurate and complete details of the requirements).

Before buying any replacement parts for systems listed in this section, riders should check for the relevant marks, where applicable. These will include an "e" mark for EC Directives, an "E" mark for ECE Regulations and "BS" for British Standards.

(Note: amateur motorcycle builders may be exempt from some or all of the requirements)

Man of Honour
OP
hell i got a scorpion can with baffle, he told me i couldn't be prosecuted, i removed it asap.

its going to stay removed ! regardless !

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't even know where my baffle is lol :D. Think I removed it when I actually got the exhaust fitted, and only search for it once a year for MOT purposes.

Man of Honour
ditto, baffle only comes out once a yr for MOT (today gulp), also have exhaust valve pinned open for extra noise :)

police don't seem to care about cans these days as long as your not riding like a loon or being a nuisance

Soldato
I can just imagine the converse..

did it pass?
what?
DID IT PASS?
yes..

was the exhaust okay?
what?
WAS THE EXHAUST OKAY?
yes..

:D

I better get to bed lol

Soldato
My VFR800 had an illegal race can and it never had any trouble with MOT's.

I have twin akros on my superduke with the baffles out, it actually feels like its liquidising your internal organs standing within 10 yards of the thing.... still there were 3 policemen remarking what a nice bike it is the other morning when I parked up at crown court (jury duty) even joked about the volume of it etc but that was that.

Soldato
I can remember the last bike i had was an Aprilia RSV with a race can on. my race bike is 104db. the bike DROWNED it out big time... get to know your MOT tester and he'll stick the sensor over another exhaust as its all computerised now so it'll pass. ;) not that i ever do such criminal acts. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom