Exhaust rattle?

Soldato
I have noticed when putting my car in the garage a rattle from which I think is coming from the underside of the car.

Went out a few minutes ago and the same noise but only louder, enough when stationary at the lights to hear it inside the car.

Anyway got home and with my BM equipped touch had a quick look under the car but being so low and dark could not see anything loose or infact even hear anything.

When pulling away I can hear a slight metallic noise.

Car concerned is a 330 Sport 51plate. It has a years BM warranty, so will be taking it in, but anyone know of common issues etc which may enlighten me?

I have lifted the bonnet and cannot here anything at idle hear, so fingers crossed it is not anything to do with the engine.

Soldato
Not heard of any common issues on the e46 - I'd just get it looked at as you're under warranty. The exhaust on my dad's C-Class had a rattley exhaust, the dealer replaced the exhaust and cats to cure it.

Soldato
9 times out of 10 its a heatshield thats come loose or a loose baffle within the exhaust itself. Neither is really anything to worry about.

Most likely the heatshield though which would be a quick fix.

Suspended
On the E36's there is a bracket with two rubbers attached to the bottom of the gearbox which clamps onto the exhaust. These are prone for going, I know because I just replaced mine on my compact. It only cost me a tenner from BMW which shocked me. I don't know if the E46's have the same type of bracket but it's possible :)

Soldato
OP
hardc0re_tid said:
i had a similar problem with my saxo, turned out to be the cat was falling apart. how old is the car, when was the exhaust/cat last replaced if ever

No idea, only had the car 3 weeks, it is a 51 plate with 42k miles

Soldato
I had exactly the same symptoms as you describe on my Merc and it was the cat disintegrating (a common problem on my car when it gets to 70K). Although not the case on mine, I'm told that exhaust baffles can cause the same thing (I'm not a mechanic so no idea what that means!).

Have you noticed any difference in fuel economy? I'm told this is also a symptom of a dodgy cat which could further confirm suspicions.. I just hope yours are cheaper than mine as I'm looking at a £700 bill to replace both sides and that's not main dealer. I assume your warranty will cover it though.

Back
Top Bottom