Exhaust replacement - Ripped off?

Associate
No idea about cars myself; but father in law asked me to go with him this afternoon to collect his car as he has had his exhaust replaced at Kwik Fit. They have charged £400 for it. Now this may just be how much it costs, but I just wanted to check if he has been excessively overcharged? I feel a little frustrated as I have a really good local garage he could have used instead, but as he has just moved to the area he used them for convenience. I was hoping to get some opinions on this as the price just seems excessively high. I thought it would cost nearer £200-250? I could well be wrong though.

We were told that the original exhaust on the car was not one that came in three parts, so to replace the faulty area requires the whole thing to be replaced. The replacement being the three seperate pieces (including a Cat Conv). He apologised as it was expensive, but said that it was because it all had to be replaced. If he has any future problems, its just a case of replacing the bit thats faulty not the whole thing. Whilst what he was saying made sense, I got a sheer sense of someone that what he had done was really not necessary? My father in law suggested the reason he put it in was that it had got really noisy and had to be replaced.

Permabanned
£400 doesn't seem that bad if the cat is included to be honest. But I'm not really that up to date with exhaust prices these days, I've not replaced one for over 10 years.

Soldato
A Toyota exhaust - or any car exhaust - is assembled from more than one piece, and pattern replacements are made to join to the original parts. Maybe they rounded off the bolts trying to undo them and made up an excuse!

Associate
i can tell you that you have been charged a silly amount of labour, i tok my car for an mot at Kwik Fit in my area now they didnt know what i do for a living (i run my own mobile mechanic's business) and it failed on the two front bottom suspention mounts and the told me that it was going to cost me £362+vat for them to do it, well i did it myself for £39 and when i questioned them they told me that there labour charges were £72 per hour, so i think a similer thing has happend here. imo the whole exhaust system should have only cost you around £200, and i can tell you that all cars made from atleast 1991 have a manifold, downpipe, cat , middle box , and backbox, so what you were told is a total load of crap.

Associate
You say all cars from 1991 have 4 piece exhausts? My 1994 e36 BMW has a 3 piece...manifold, mid/cat section, rear section/backbox.

so it doesnt have a downpipe then????
thw manifold conects to the downpipe witch then bolts to the cat witch bolts to the middle then middle to backbox.
ive just looked your bmw doesnt have a cat only a middle,

Back
Top Bottom