Expanding my SSD Storage

Associate
I'm currently running just a single Samsung 250GB 840 EVO in my PC. I only need storage space on my PC for OS, Programs and games. All my data is stored on my Synology NAS.

My 250GB 840 EVO is at 20TB of total bytes written. I was thinking of getting an extra 250GB of storage, and use that just for game installations.

Which should I do:

1 - Buy a single 250GB 850 EVO, and make that my new OS/program drive, then make the current 840 my game drive.

2 - Buy 2 cheaper 120GB drives and run them in Raid 0 for just installing my games on.

Soldato
I would go with option one, no point in raiding ssds and once they are in raid you cannot do any firmware updates to them as the software doesn't see them.

I have 2 x 250gb one for os and the other is for games so when I format my games library is still there for steam and origin

Soldato
This is my reason for having a second SSD.

steam and the library are installed to my second SSD, once formatted all I need to do is re create the steam short cut and then im good to go once logged in.

Origin can be a bit fiddly but again still works and saves having to download all the games again and the same with Uplay for the division.

if I have a OS issue I loose nothing by formatting the OS SSD and only takes about 20 mins to get windows back up and running, I keep all the drivers etc needed on the second SSD as well.

Associate
Don't bother with Raid, tried it with two Evo's, only lasted few months before it died and I had to reformat both drives.

Stick with one ssd for your OS and separate drives for your games. Due to the size of recent games I've got multiple drives for Origin, Steam, Uplay, etc.

Associate
So games can be installed on another ssd then the OS and it doesn't effect gaming performance at all ..My Corsair ssd is full and I would like to just add another ssd without moving the OS also ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom