Expecting a parcel from the US but sender forgot to put house number on.....

Soldato
I've bought something from the states and the sender as sent it via USPS with tracking but as forgotten to put the house number (rest of the address including my name is correct). Obviously neither of us can do anything until Tuesday but is there anyway of getting the address on the parcel corrected and if not what will happen to it, basically is there anything We can do?

Commissario
If it's USPS it'll likely be handed over to the local postie for final delivery, so assuming he's on the ball at all he'll know the house number, otherwise you may have to pop down to the sorting/delivery office with the tracking number.

Soldato
As you have the tracking number if it is still in the US you should be able to redirect it.

With USPS Package Intercept, you can request a mailpiece be returned or redirected before final delivery is made to the original address. Available for letters, flats and packages with a tracking barcode.

Soldato
OP
We seem to get a different postie every couple of weeks so doubt the postie will deliver. If they don't and it's returned to sorting office and it shows up on tracking it's done so will I get chance to call the sorting office or will they ship it straight back to send because of lack of number?

I read this on USPS site which says domestic only and I think by Tuesday it will probably have left the States

"USPS Package Intercept® lets you redirect a domestic shipment that hasn’t been delivered or released for delivery. It’s available for packages, letters, and flats with a tracking or extra services barcode."

Soldato
Postcode narrows it down to just a few houses, they'll probably sort it in to the posties round to see if he can suss it. Even easier if there's other post for you that day.

I've had post delivered that had a completely wrong postcode on it. They worked it out. I was very impressed. Although it did take several says while they bounced it around various sorting offices.

Commissario
I forgot to say, I had a similar issue a few years back, the line with the house number and street got damaged in the post, the delivery office found it no issue when I turned up with the tracking number and proof of name.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys I guess I'm going to have to wait for delivery (attempted) and take it from there. Thing that's at the back of my mind is I once I ordered a expensive memory card from China and despite having correct address the postie delivered it to the wrong house and whoever lived their even signed for it, despite weeks of arguing etc. Royal Mail wouldn't do anything to help :(

Soldato
Put a postcard in the post with your initials and the postcode and it'll get to you. If parcel co. cant do this also they kinda suck. As an ex courier many decades ago I'd bet they get it to you if they actually want to. If you road has 1000 houses on it then maybe not, Im thinking of like a dozen lol which is a bit of assumption now I think about it. Our courier mail was big business only, so actually flats, etc might be a tad harder to do but they could deliver fine if they wanted imo

Commissario
Don't underestimate the Post Office.

Rather than put my full address on a website, I had the following:

"Name
email for full address (or scan the QR code)
My village
England"

And that's exactly what someone printed onto an envelope - It arrived! (naturally my actual name and village were on the web site). I was suitably impressed.

Soldato
I work for Royal Mail, this is what would happen in my office, although each area will deal with things slightly differently. The parcel will come in to the local sorting office as a result of the postcode. Given the lack of house number, the item will be given to the duty holder to attempt to identify the correct delivery address. If it is a regular guy then there is a chance they will recognise name and will get it to you. If it is someone unfamiliar with the duty then they will either write "pending enquiry" along with the date and it will be held over until the next day when the regular will hopefully be back.

The official procedure is for any item to be held for a total of 18 calendar days, so that would allow you to go in to delivery office (with ID and tracking info) where they would hopefully be able to locate parcel and put your house number on it. It is extremely unlikely they will hand the item over to you there and then for security purposes, but will arrange to have it delivered the next day, or a day at your convenience.

All that said, you could just as easily be unlucky and have the parcel arrive at the duty holders frame, who will take 1 look at it, see that it has an incomplete address and endorse it as such, which will result in it being immediately returned to sender.

Underboss
Don't underestimate the Post Office.

Rather than put my full address on a website, I had the following:

"Name
email for full address (or scan the QR code)
My village
England"

And that's exactly what someone printed onto an envelope - It arrived! (naturally my actual name and village were on the web site). I was suitably impressed.

seriously WTF?

basically just had your name on it and words and it got to you?

Back
Top Bottom