"If you thought the first film looked good, this sequel
looks even better, due to a lot of the film taking place during the
daytime with much more color and detail than the darker tone of the
first movie. Simply put, this movie looks fantastic. The HDR10 looks
incredible and definitely gives a boost of color in every scene. Since a
lot of the film takes place in the sun, the skies are perfectly blue
and everything looks more realistic with great primary colors popping
off screen."

What? This was a quote off HiFi Digest.... I found side by side this is worse and contains LESS detail than the fantastic looking Bluray. I have the BLuray in a second player and put over 100" screen on my Sony 4k VPL 320ES and the bluray blows this away. So disapointed over the PQ it's untrue. Not sure what film they were watching here, but I even took screen shots as I was astounded at the lack of quality and the awful film noise constantly hamepering the film. Also, there's certain scenes that just are mushy and undefined, the colours are barely any better if better and the resolution is worse.

Stay well clear of this 4k, and just as I was going to give my 3 Bluray disc set away...

Anyone else seen this in 4k and been astounded how bad it actually is?

Soldato
I don't have disk, but if you view 4k in sdr does it look better,
maybe it is hdr mastered for a different Nit value than most 4K discs (can't it be between 1000-4000 nits) and maybe your projector is not as happy,
(ie tone mapping and PQ EOTF config)

I searched a while abck for this kind of max nits mastering info but failed to find it

Soldato
OP
Just out of interest whats the bluray like that comes with the 4k ?
Good question I didn't use that one tbh... will try and check this week. However, seriouslty it's all over the place. I turned HDR off as well do it does the dynamic SDR instead (have a panny 700 so can turn HDR off) and the picture just isn't right at all... the bluray is bar far more detailed, it's as simple as that. I checked Hunger Games same way and I can see the extra detail, although the HDR pciture overallhas a median lower brightness level deffo which seems to be a side effect of HDR on all displays I see... they lower the overall brightness to highlight HDR more... seems like robbing peter to pay paul.

Caporegime
It's your projector, not the disc.

The VPL-VW320ES does manage to deliver expanded light peaks with HDR content, but the image’s overall sense of balance and light "toning" feels more comfortable when watching movies in their standard dynamic range form.

The HDR light range feels slightly forced and there are moments of silhouetting, where dark objects against bright HDR backdrops end up looking like empty shadows as the projector’s lack of native brightness prevents it from rendering all the image’s shadow detailing.

The colour palette adopted by the projector, which uses the default Colour Space 3 HDR profile, is rather flat, delivering only very slightly on the expanded colour gamuts associated with HDR sources. Here, again, I found that the colour performance achieved with SDR content is more comfortable and natural looking.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-vpl-vw320es-review-picture-quality-page-2#KAlX7GTZlCJ5zc1v.99

Also: It's a terrible movie and why you would want to watch it over and over, I have no idea!

Soldato
OP
It's your projector, not the disc.

Also: It's a terrible movie and why you would want to watch it over and over, I have no idea!

Nope, it's the disc. That review (which I'd read before I bought the PJ), was based on the first iteration of HDR enabled firmware which was never very well implemented (same as on 520ES). Sony has worked on this now and has a far better rendition of HDR. A projector will never get the HDR to the level of an OLED for exmple, it's simply maths. However, this has zero impact on the definition of a movie. I turned HDR off on the player and PJ, and side by side comparisons the 4k disc does not contain the same level of information as the Bluray and is more grainy. Compare this to both Miss Perigrin and Hunger Games (which I own both on Bluray as well) and there is a massive improvement in blacks, definition, lighting etc in the 4k versions. Also, I've now since found out theat Exependables 3 disc in 4k is appalling and has been mastered with the wrong colour gammut rendering every black grey...

So, all in, every 4k film I've watched has been great APART from Expendables and The Acocuntant which both on 4k are IMHO worse than the Blurays.

Soldato
OP
Don't buy Expendables movies? :D

Some of the most obvious HDR was on Pacific Rim, despite being a 2k upscale. Have you tried that?
Hahaha... that is an option. Nope, not ran that as it's a poor film.... Ghost In Machine is meant to be stunning as well... but it's a poor film... tempted just for demo... lol... currently own:
  1. Chappie,
  2. Hunger Games (1-4),
  3. The Fifth Element (great picture considering some of the previous poor implementations),
  4. Sing,
  5. Angry Birds,
  6. Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them,
  7. Ghost Busters 1/2/2016,
  8. La La Land,
  9. Everest (stunning PQ),
  10. The Magnificent Seven,
  11. Point Break,
  12. Assasins Creed,
  13. Deepwater Horizon (some stunning depth in the imagine of blacks and fire),
  14. Labyrinth,
  15. Exodos & Kings,
  16. Trolls,
  17. In The Heart Of The Sea (clarity is outstanding but shows CGI a little),
  18. Kingsmen (great picture upgrade surprisingly),
  19. Logan (lovely PQ grainy but very film like with loads of detail),
  20. Miss Perigrines (EASILY THE BEST PQ I'VE EVER SEEN PERFECTION),
  21. ID4 (appalling PQ),
  22. The Mazerunner (lovely lush upgrade, quite surprised with some awesome effects on sky and clouds),
  23. The Martian (very sweet PQ),
  24. Life Of Pie (once again great upgrade),
  25. Expendables 1/2/3,
  26. Split (Not watched yet),
  27. Unforegiven.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hahaha... that is an option. Nope, not ran that as it's a poor film.... Ghost In Machine is meant to be stunning as well... but it's a poor film... tempted just for demo... lol... currently own:
  1. Chappie,
  2. Hunger Games (1-4),
  3. The Fifth Element (great picture considering some of the previous poor implementations),
  4. ...

respect - for not jumping on the PE2 bandwagon

Back
Top Bottom