Experience rehoming a rescue cat from a charity or shelter

Soldato
Since my gf broke up with me a few weeks ago and her cat, who was living with me, went back to living with her.

As I have always wanted a cat, and finally had some good experience of being a cat dad, I decided to start looking for a rescue to rehome. I don't think I am being fussy; I am more than happy to be amenable to the right cat. My main criteria is mainly indoors so I do appreciate my "pool" is limited to older/FIV/injured cats and the like.

I made a list of all the main charities and rescue centres locally, including national and local independent ones.

I started making applications (both specific and speculative), however barely any are getting back to me. What I am finding really frustrating is that despite all of the centres saying they are desperate for new homes, some are outright stating that they won't entertain calls to dicuss what suitable cats they have, or speculative applications via email. Others are saying on their website they won't even bother replying to you unless they think you are matched. Now, I personally find that quite rude, because it leaves me having to wait to see if I hear back, so I am allowing myself 4-5 days between enquiries. I appreciate most are run by volunteers so time to reply might be an issue, but at least a courtesy email to say "Sorry, please look elsewhere." would be nice.

The last enquiry has really been made me annoyed and frustrated. A local charity had a 2.5 year old Maine Coone looking for a quiet and indoor home, so the match seemed perfect for me. I made an application within an hour of their ad going up early last week, and got a personal acknowledgement the next day, and we exchanged a few psotive emails with photos, etc. The last email in that chain, was them saying that because it was a Maine ****, they would appreciate a donation on top of their usual adoption fee. I was happy to do so and offered to double the adption fee (£150 total). Since then, a few days went past and I heard nothing. I emailed them on Friday night, only to get a reply saying I was on their waiting list and would let me know if anything suitable came up. It's like they completely forgot I had applied to rehome that specific cat! The cat is still up for adoption though. My cynical side thinks I didn't offer them enough money (cost to rehome an old MC is typically £100-200 from looking online so I thought I was being fair.)

Is simply asking to be kept updated at the very least a lot too ask, and are charities/rescue centres known to be extremely fussy??

At this rate, I might just go buy a kitten, which seems a shame as they are lots of lovely cats already out there needing a home.

Soldato
You might also ask your local vets to keep you in mind: many, many years ago I found a kitten near where I worked. Not knowing exactly what to do I took it back to work with me and was allowed to make enquiries (perks of working for a council). The result was that I took it to the nearest vet from where it was adopted by the end of the day.

Associate
My next door neighbour has a house cat. It sits in the window all day while they are at work longing for freedom. Not saying they are all like that but the fatty woman who owns it wont even reply when I say hello to her. The husband / boyfriend seems nice enough though.

I recommend you go down there.

Man of Honour
Since my gf broke up with me a few weeks ago and her cat, who was living with me, went back to living with her.

As I have always wanted a cat, and finally had some good experience of being a cat dad, I decided to start looking for a rescue to rehome. I don't think I am being fussy; I am more than happy to be amenable to the right cat. My main criteria is mainly indoors so I do appreciate my "pool" is limited to older/FIV/injured cats and the like.

I made a list of all the main charities and rescue centres locally, including national and local independent ones.

I started making applications (both specific and speculative), however barely any are getting back to me. What I am finding really frustrating is that despite all of the centres saying they are desperate for new homes, some are outright stating that they won't entertain calls to dicuss what suitable cats they have, or speculative applications via email. Others are saying on their website they won't even bother replying to you unless they think you are matched. Now, I personally find that quite rude, because it leaves me having to wait to see if I hear back, so I am allowing myself 4-5 days between enquiries. I appreciate most are run by volunteers so time to reply might be an issue, but at least a courtesy email to say "Sorry, please look elsewhere." would be nice.

The last enquiry has really been made me annoyed and frustrated. A local charity had a 2.5 year old Maine Coone looking for a quiet and indoor home, so the match seemed perfect for me. I made an application within an hour of their ad going up early last week, and got a personal acknowledgement the next day, and we exchanged a few psotive emails with photos, etc. The last email in that chain, was them saying that because it was a Maine ****, they would appreciate a donation on top of their usual adoption fee. I was happy to do so and offered to double the adption fee (£150 total). Since then, a few days went past and I heard nothing. I emailed them on Friday night, only to get a reply saying I was on their waiting list and would let me know if anything suitable came up. It's like they completely forgot I had applied to rehome that specific cat! The cat is still up for adoption though. My cynical side thinks I didn't offer them enough money (cost to rehome an old MC is typically £100-200 from looking online so I thought I was being fair.)

Is simply asking to be kept updated at the very least a lot too ask, and are charities/rescue centres known to be extremely fussy??

At this rate, I might just go buy a kitten, which seems a shame as they are lots of lovely cats already out there needing a home.

Either go and visit or buy your first cat. Some snub buying cats but weirdly I bought my first and have then picked up adoptions etc easily as you end up sort of falling on the ones that need help. Example of this was when I got my two (brother and sister), went to get them spayed and neutered and ran across this adorable cat that had some health issues and no home. I now have 3 cats and the cat with health issues seems to have settled with her new brother and sister and is back to rude health. I tried to do what you did and kept getting turned away as I back onto a rail line blah blah blah... Well my cats go out during the day and all come home at night but guess what, they are about 6 years old now and none of them have been squashed by a train.

Soldato
It sits in the window all day while they are at work longing for freedom.

Many indoor cats don't like to go outside, especially if they've had a bad experience outside. Watching what's going on outside is like TV for them - entertainment. The best thing, though, is to get another cat so they can play together.

Associate
That's a real shame. I hope I have better luck as I'm going to be looking to adopt a rescue cat soon. My 1st cat was a rescue who I got from Cats Protection and it couldn't have been simpler even though my house backed on to a busy road but this was about 10 years or more ago. Maybe it's more difficult now although I now live in a close backing on to a golf course so it's a really good environment.

Keep trying and don't give up as you're doing the right thing.

I'm not sure about cats, but lockdown has caused a supply/demand issue with dogs. Breeders are charging 3 or 4 times the usual rate. £2000 to £3000 for a mongrel! I feel sorry for the dogs who will inevitably get abandoned by the "dogs are only for Christmas" brigade when work summons them back to their office / workbase.

Soldato
OP
My next door neighbour has a house cat. It sits in the window all day while they are at work longing for freedom. Not saying they are all like that but the fatty woman who owns it wont even reply when I say hello to her. The husband / boyfriend seems nice enough though.

I recommend you go down there.

That would be my preference but not an option.

Visits are currently not allowed at most places to look around until you've agreed in principle that the rehoming can take place...Covid issues. So you apply, they think you're suitable, video call to chat, show them your place, they show you the cat, then you make the visit in person to meet that particular cat. So I am not even go get past the first hurdle.

If you could just turn up to have a look, I would. That would be sooo much better.

Soldato
I joined a load of local Facebook pages for rehoming cats and kept missing out when they had their own adverts on there.

One morning there was a post from a woman saying she needed to rehome hers. Went round and met her and the cat that day. Arranged to get him the next day. She gave me his bowls/bed/toys and when I asked if she wanted me to make a donation she just said she just wants him to have a good home and cried :(

These places do get a lot of Messer's. Definetly best to visit if you can. We always had the rescue cats that no one seemed to want when growing up and they where all amazing. I think they appreciate it in their own creepy cat way

My next door neighbour has a house cat. It sits in the window all day while they are at work longing for freedom. .
Lol mine sits in the window all day and even occasionally chunters at birds. Open the door or window though and he just looks at you like you're daft and goes deeper into the house :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Go visit them. Email is too impersonal and they like to see you face to face. As already said: you are being ignored as they don't know who you are and these places are always run by volunteers with little time.

Our cat is from a rescue. We visited twice before collecting Lucy for adoption. They sent someone round to do a home check, which is basically making sure we don't live next to a busy road or breeding fighting dogs on the side.

Soldato
Look around for local rescue groups, there's often communities that rescue strays and foster them external to the shelters.

If you think that you might get another cat in the future I would suggest considering adopting two at the same time, it's fairly common for kittens to be rescued and be put up for adoption alongside their siblings. Older cats can sometimes have issues adjusting to newer cats although it depends on their temperament and other factors. While domestic cats like to hunt and explore alone, they do actually form social groups with other cats, feral's even form colonies. If you spend a fair amount of time away from home it might be an idea for your future cat to have some company as I'm guessing you wont be allowing it to go outside. Cats can be extremely individualistic mind you, so it is worth being careful if you go this route.

Soldato
Seems disappointing - I've re-homed a couple of rescues and always had good results, but I guess covid has messed everything up since you can't go visit in person.

If you're set on that particular cat, call them. Every day. Two or three times a day. Every hour. (Replace call with email if they don't have a contact number). Make it clear that you are serious, and impossible for them to ignore you. :p

Soldato
Many indoor cats don't like to go outside, especially if they've had a bad experience outside. Watching what's going on outside is like TV for them - entertainment. The best thing, though, is to get another cat so they can play together.

Yep, one of mine is a massive wimp! Considering he's the boss of the house, put him outside and he's scared of a slight breeze. He'll mooch around if I'm in the garden but otherwise he's not that bothered.

The place I got mine from were really good but I guess Covid has messed everything up as according to their website, they aren't even rehoming animals at the moment. When I went, I spent a good few hours in the cages with the cats until I found the one I wanted. They took an £80 compulsory donation, but that covered vaccinations, neutering and chipping so it was a good deal really.

Soldato
All of our cats have been rescue - from an old lady looking for a quiet retirement to kittens.
We've exclusively used the same rescue centre near us (Wood Green Animal Shelter) but have always gone to the site to take a look and chat with the people there.
When we were looking for a kitten they arranged for us to visit the foster home and we choose ours from there.

I'll be honest, never tried to start the process remotely - just seemed easier to go to the shelter and take a look around etc.

Man of Honour
Go to the centre (if they still let you due to COVID) and have a chat. I did this a couple years ago as I wanted a cat after looking after my friends' cat for a few months, they pretty much told me that I'll be waiting a while and even FIV+/older cats would be unlikely (small 4th floor flat).

It sucks but just look for a decent seller and buy a kitten, that's what I'm planning on doing.

Back
Top Bottom