External DD encoder?

Soldato
Joined
28 Jul 2003
Posts
5,801
Location
South Wales
I'm looking to move to a shuttle. Fedup of a bulky case but the downside is that the soundcard i've got won't fit in one and the sound is meant to be pretty carp.

I love the DD encoding of my mystique and wondered if there is any external boxes out there which would do the job?
 
Soldato
Joined
1 Apr 2004
Posts
2,981
Location
Herts, UK
Unless there is a USB/firewire version of the DDlive cards, I don't think it will be possible, because the game/software will have to talk to the encoder, which you can't do over speaker cable. I can't say I've seen one, but someone may know better.
 
Suspended
Joined
17 Mar 2006
Posts
9,055
There's the official Dolby encoders but they run into thousands of pounds. Dolby Digital Decoders/processors are common and pretty cheap from £100 and up. Checkout the Denon AVD-2000

Why exactly do you need a DD encoder?
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
2,953
Location
Greater Manchester
you have hit upon the reason i cannot go back to a shuttle :(

If only they would include the DDLive portion of the Intel HD Audio codec (its an optional extra for motherboard makers...) then id be back in a shuttle sucking up conroe goodness like a flash...

Its my one deciding factor now.. i cant live without DD Live!
 
Soldato
Joined
29 Oct 2004
Posts
10,884
I very much doubt it'll sound any different using analogue than digital...plus with pretty much any encoding/decoding process you're going to add latency and compression, so the analogue is likely to be better anyway (depending on the quality of the soundcard DAC vs decoder DAC that is).
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
28 Jul 2003
Posts
5,801
Location
South Wales
Phil99 said:
I very much doubt it'll sound any different using analogue than digital...plus with pretty much any encoding/decoding process you're going to add latency and compression, so the analogue is likely to be better anyway (depending on the quality of the soundcard DAC vs decoder DAC that is).


my current card makes a very good job of encoding game data. Spreads the sound around nicely.

I've got a DD decoder and 5.1 speaker setup and connect my sound card over a optical link.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could upgrade the sound module in the shuttles to include the DDlive encoding.
 
Soldato
Joined
29 Oct 2004
Posts
10,884
Analogue wouldn't stop the sound being 'spread around'...afterall it's only encoding the channels that would be sent to the analogue ports to a digital stream anyway.
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
28 Jul 2003
Posts
5,801
Location
South Wales
Phil99 said:
Analogue wouldn't stop the sound being 'spread around'...afterall it's only encoding the channels that would be sent to the analogue ports to a digital stream anyway.


it would be in AC3 i think.....so rear channels would give the same sound.

With DD the rear channels would give a seperate distinct sound.

Anyway, from the replies i don't think there is going to be a way until Intel ship the suttle MB's with the DDLive module enables on the sound chips
 
Soldato
Joined
29 Oct 2004
Posts
10,884
Reality Bites said:
it would be in AC3 i think.....so rear channels would give the same sound.

With DD the rear channels would give a seperate distinct sound.

Anyway, from the replies i don't think there is going to be a way until Intel ship the suttle MB's with the DDLive module enables on the sound chips

I think you're getting slightly muddled in this:

AC3 = Dolby Digital ; Dolby Digital Live is a realtime encoding process which takes each channel and encodes it in to a single bitstream.

So:

DDL
Code:
FL            -->                                              --> FL
FR            -->                                              --> FR
Centre       -->   }--> Dolby Digial Stream (AC3) -->{        --> Centre
LFE           -->                                              --> LFE
RL             -->                                             --> RL
RR             -->                                            --> RR

Analogue
Code:
FL            -->   FL            
FR            -->   FR
Centre       -->  Centre
LFE           -->  LFE
RL             -->  RL
RR             -->  RR

Both methods involve the same number of channels and the same channel being sent to the same speaker, just that the DDL one goes through an extra encoding/decoding process.
 
Back
Top Bottom