external screen for my mid-2010 mbp.

Associate
hi there,

if money were no object i would simply buy an apple led display as they are amazing, however - for this purchase i'm on a budget. i would like to go for a 24" screen, but i'm mostly interested in the connectivity side of things to the mbp.

i already have a mini-displayport to hdmi adaptor as i connect my mbp up to my 42" panasonic plasma. this works well, but the image is over-scanned. this doesn't cause me a problem here, as this is only ever used for full-screen video output to the large screen.

if i choose a 24" led monitor, and connect via hdmi will this also suffer from overscan? is there a way to turn this off? should i connect via dvi instead, requiring me to purchase another adaptor.

any recommendations on which screen to get, up to about £200? i have a monitor stand, so the screen will need to be vesa mountable.

thanks, andy.

edit: currently quite like the look of this

Last edited:
Associate
dvi is hdmi with no sound isnt it in effect? when i hook my mbp2010 to external screens i get no issues with overscan at all, or none that i can tell. What adapter are you using?

Associate
OP
the cablesson mini displayport to hdmi adaptor. it could be something a bit peculiar with my panasonic plasma as it does things slightly weird with resolution and pixel mapping i think. i don't envisage any problems with a pc monitor as opposed to a television, but just wanted to check before purchasing really. the monitor i posted above seems to have a good review from end users so i think i'll probably just order it. i'll go with hdmi connectivity, purely to keep the cables and adaptors on the slimline side - and hopefully this might also provide audio capabilities without having a separate cable. not sure if the screen supports audio via hdmi though.

Back
Top Bottom