External Sound Card for Retro Gaming

Associate
Hi all, I am messing about with Thin Clients (HP T610) for my retro gaming and wondering the best way to improve onboard sound and using an external card/DAC which I can plug into my amp (Denon PMA-50)?

Now wondering if there is a USB DAC or external sound card which is compatible with Windows XP and has a optical out so I can send sound from my HP to my stereo?

Man of Honour
Soundblaster X-Fi HD is a usb device and genuinely an excellent thing. Using one on my Win7 SFF machine and it's great.

Theres also a lesser model called the X-Fi surround 5.1 Pro. Still good, but not as good.

Associate
OP
Thanks again Flibster. I picked up a Soundblaster X-Fi HD. As you mention its not the cheapest option. Personally the flexibility makes it worth it.

I downloaded the latest drivers which installed fine with Windows XP SP3. The only minor hitch; whilst the headphones worked perfectly straight away there was no sound coming from my stereo.

It dawned on me that it was the Realtek driver stopping any sound being piped to my stereo. Once I disabled Realtek in Device Manager for XP, the external sound now works perfectly.

It sounds great and messing about with some older games (Blood etc) it really packs a punch and placement sound wow! Normally for retro gaming I have played using older speakers - piping through stereo, sounds epic. Positional sounds and details I have missed, delighted with this card. :)

Back
Top Bottom