Extremely worried about my insurance claim

Caporegime
so you use your car for commuting - check
you didn't pick commuting because it was cheaper not to - check

therefore you were happy to drive without correct insurance because it was cheaper? - check

you now need the insurance and are happy to pay the difference - check

IMO they shouldn't pay you because you were clearly trying to game the system. which means those who do not now have to pay increased premiums because of people like you.

it wasn't an honest mistake. it's a multiple choice question. they ask you what type you need and you picked the wrong one on purpose because it was cheaper.

you reap what you sow.
Where does he say he picked non commuting because it was cheaper? Check.

He’s admitted it was a mistake. Check.

He’s put his hands up and been honest about his mistake(s). Check.

Somewhat craptastic post. Check. :p

Caporegime
Where does he say he picked non commuting because it was cheaper? Check.

He’s admitted it was a mistake. Check.

He’s put his hands up and been honest about his mistake(s). Check.

Somewhat craptastic post. Check. :p

regardless - he doesn't seem to understand how car insurance works or what commuting is.

he thinks if he uses his car "after work" to travel to jamaica. then he doesn't need commuting. because his car got to work by magic. therefore he doesn't need commuting because his car magically appears at work every day he is at work.

Caporegime
regardless - he doesn't seem to understand how car insurance works or what commuting is.

he thinks if he uses his car "after work" to travel to jamaica. then he doesn't need commuting. because his car got to work by magic. therefore he doesn't need commuting because his car magically appears at work every day he is at work.
I agree he seems entirely clueless about insurance - fair enough tbh, it’s a mine field to the uneducated on such matters - I don’t think he’s deliberately doing anything wrong as such, but, ignorance is no defence and all that.

Anyway OP, have you been hung out to dry yet?

Caporegime
I agree he seems entirely clueless about insurance - fair enough tbh, it’s a mine field to the uneducated on such matters - I don’t think he’s deliberately doing anything wrong as such, but, ignorance is no defence and all that.

Anyway OP, have you been hung out to dry yet?

having a new born is no excuse either.

you can renew insurance 30 days in advance iirc. so he had 30 days to do it in. unless he just bought the car. which if he did then if he's just handed over £4K for a car he would be making purchase i imagine under sound judgement. because nobody would hand over £4K in a pressurised situation he is trying to create in the minds of the insurer that he was under duress. the same judgement he should be using when insuring the car.

he somehow managed to tick all the other correct boxes after all. how come he didn't end up with business cover or insuring a ferrari?

it's just not plausible IMO especially coupled with the fact he doesn't understand insurance.

Commissario

you can renew insurance 30 days in advance iirc. so he had 30 days to do it in. unless he just bought the car. which if he did then if he's just handed over £4K for a car he would be making purchase i imagine under sound judgement. because nobody would hand over £4K in a pressurised situation he is trying to create in the minds of the insurer that he was under duress. the same judgement he should be using when insuring the car.

he somehow managed to tick all the other correct boxes after all. how come he didn't end up with business cover or insuring a ferrari?

it's just not plausible IMO especially coupled with the fact he doesn't understand insurance.
I've already warned you for posting unhelpful nonsense and yet you continue. Consider this a last warning.

Caporegime

Ever had a new born? Never mind one that’s in an ICU? Enough to frazzle the most methodically minded trust me!

Sounds to me like life has just got in the way in a big way too.

I’d say given his circumstances and the fact he clearly does not understand insurance then it’s entirely plausible that he is where he is to be fair to him.

Edit @Maccy just seen your retort, I’ll leave it at this.

Soldato
To be fair even if you have selected the correct options through a comparison site you still have to check that the details are still correct once they've gone to the insurance provider. I have bene caught out a few times like this so now when I've selected the company and quote I always call them up to go through the details and make sure they are correct. Bit of an ache to do but it beats thinking that you have selected something when in fact that option never transferred over, I think in the main the comparison sites are getting better but when renewing my house insurance for example, what I entered on the comparison site differed to that presented when taking out the insurance so had to ring the insurance company to sort it out.

I think also in my household I do all the insurance policies, God forbid if my wife did it as she wouldn't have a clue.

Soldato
Adding in time restrictions seems to complicate things, i've never been asked what hours i drive my car, although some on here have mentioned they have. For example if you were retired, ergo not needing a commuting policy, there's nothing to say you're not allowed to be on the road during typical rush hour (it would be great if that would be the case mind!). Same with the SDP+Commuting and not driving within work hours, what if i'm driving to the shops during my lunch hour, i'm not conducting any business, this would be purely domestic.

I'd suspect commuting, as you're driving to/from work, so you'd need SDP+C as you say :)

never seen that stipulation. if you have SDP you're covered for any driving you do no matter what the hours.

The work hours thing is not really relevant.

Clarified - I meant no driving for work within work hours. ie running errands, visiting customers etc

Man of Honour
I think also in my household I do all the insurance policies, God forbid if my wife did it as she wouldn't have a clue.

I find it complicated enough - some stuff I have to check like 5 times to make sure I've correctly understood it.

Most people with Admiral will have DOC.

Doesn't seem to be the case looking at my household for example

sldHlig.png

Most people living here are using Admiral and the only ones with it asked for it specifically due to their job I believe.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My last policy (different insurer, same circumstances) had it.

Yeah I've previously had it without asking - seems like insurers are making a habit of changing things people just assume they are covered for because they've always had it before hah.

MrM

MrM

Associate
Not sure if this is relevant but my wife and I both had policies with Admiral. I had DOC on my policy, my wife did not. When I queried it, Admiral told me DOC was available for me as I was the policy holder and the registered owner of the vehicle. Since I am the registered owner of the car my wife was the main policy holder on, she was ineligible for DOC on her policy.

Associate
The DOC extension on a policy is given independent of the level of cover and the usage on the policy. Going back a few years it was always included for people over a certain age (dependent on the insurer) and only excluded for people working in specific trades (e.g. Bus Driver, Motor traders etc). Insurers seem to have tightened up on it over the last few years.

Couple of key points with it
- For the vast majority of insurers this is Third Party only cover. Some premium policies cover you comprehensive but very few.
- only covers vehicles not owned by you (and some insurers also exclude cars owned by your family).
- The car you are driving using the extension has to have insurance on it. Otherwise the moment you get out of that car you are technically committing an offence of no insurance (because any car on the public highway has to have insurance on it).

Soldato
If one good thing comes out of this thread it’s that people are now checking their insurance policies properly, which includes me and it’s a good job i have checked, last week I sorted out my daughters new policy for the year and she wasn’t covered for commuting because I missed the check box (so it is an easy mistake), a quick call to direct line and it’s now added at no extra charge. To OP I hope you get it sorted but Im really glad you posted here for advice.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If one good thing comes out of this thread it’s that people are now checking their insurance policies properly, which includes me and it’s a good job i have checked, last week I sorted out my daughters new policy for the year and she wasn’t covered for commuting because I missed the check box (so it is an easy mistake), a quick call to direct line and it’s now added at no extra charge. To OP I hope you get it sorted but I really glad you posted here for advice.

I would definitely have been caught out by it if it wasn't for the fact I was trying to get my head around what was and wasn't covered van insurance wise social v business recently - if I'd been straight up insuring a car via the comparison sites it is very easy to not realise it has changed. Fortunately Admiral do actually list it quite obviously not all do.

Back
Top Bottom