Poll: F1 2022 - Pre-season testing and discussion

Who will win the 2022 Formula 1 constructor's title ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I’ve voted Merc and Russell but actually I’d love to see Carlos and Ferrari take it. Really pleased with his performance this season.

For a REAL outlier - how about Alpha and Bottas?!? I would laugh so hard. But I wouldn’t be unhappy - would love Bottas to bring the heat and prove everyone wrong.

As a Brit, obviously McLaren would be awesome. I love Dani and Norris but actually probably prefer to see Norris take a WDC. Wouldn’t be unhappy if it was Dani though! :)

Soldato
I think you're all living in some sort of dream world. Despite the restrictions, the best design and engineering talent is still at the established teams.

Granted McLaren went from winning the WDC in 2008 to having one of the slowest cars to start 2009, but that's not the norm and Mercedes had the car to beat in all of the hybrid regulation changes (some of which haven't been insignificant). Even if they aren't outright quickest (Ferrari and McLaren have a good shout at being up there), they will likely still have the best race pace and certainly the knowhow and driver to win out over a season.

They've won every championship since 2014, except last year, which they should have won, and I don't see much changing in terms of bringing the trophies home. I still think it will be between Mercedes and Red Bull, and Honda's departure, despite the PU freeze and "transition year", won't help Red Bull (and they'll gradually lose out over the years until 2026, just as Honda did in the late-00s).

I suspect there will be a few more upsets and possibly a mixing of the midfield, and there is the potential for the likes of Ferrari to make the step, but if I was a betting man I'd be putting it on all on black or silver.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I hope Mercedes go back to running their traditional silver livery. Watching a video about the Brawn / McLaren Mercedes deal earlier and I realised that they’ve run the black livery for what feels like forever; even tho it’s only been on for 2 years.

Soldato
I hope Mercedes go back to running their traditional silver livery. Watching a video about the Brawn / McLaren Mercedes deal earlier and I realised that they’ve run the black livery for what feels like forever; even tho it’s only been on for 2 years.
Although I like the black livery. I'm almost sure that they mentioned earlier this year that next year the car will likely be returning to the silver theme. Or words to that effect.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

A few squillions of Philip Morris' cash probably helped make their mind up on changing it to red and white... :cry:
If you haven't read the book "The Mechanic" by Elvis Priestley (head mechanic of McLaren in the Kimi/Alonso/Hamilton years), it's worth a read.

He talks about there being so much tobacco money that they used a helicopter to dry out Silverstone, so McLaren could do a filming day in "the dry".

Oh, and there's a hilarious story about them wrecking a Mercedes minibus whilst racing Ferrari mechanics. They had to call Coulthard on xmas day to cover the bill, to avoid the wrath of Ron Dennis. Good read! :D

Soldato
I’m guessing that Russell has been told he’s there to support Lewis this year and will be sacrificed if needed, much like perez for redbull
I'm not 100% sure they would have told him that previously, but after what's just happened they might change their mind!

Mind you, they could have told him anything. Who was going to say no to Merc anyway? "Come to Merc and be our number 2 otherwise we're asking Lando" :p

Soldato
If the FIA punish merc or Lewis for the no show that will just be taking the ****. Hope it all settles down and all can come back rejuvenated next year.
There are protocols drivers need to keep to so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not fined. Toto should also be taken to task for his comments as well and quite rightfully. They both need to realise that the pair of them aren't bigger than the FIA. If that causes Mercedes to walk away from F1 then the sport will be all the better for it...

Soldato
Mercedes always give their drivers equal treatment at the start of the championship and I don't see that changing.

Which is could work against them if it's tight. Similar to how McLaren should have had Lewis play second fiddle to Fernando for a year. He'd have learned a lot and probably has won the championship the next year prompting Fernando to move on his own terms.

In any case I don't think he is going to challenge Lewis as much as Nico did. At least not initially.

Last edited:
Associate
Reading the recent article on the BBC, Hamilton readily mentioned that he will coach Russell for the future, I hope Russell takes this onboard.

An offer from a seven times WDC to support you to work together. Being a romantic, would love a Cevert & Stewart honour relationship. I think Russell will be quick in qualifying, race pace, an unknown. If Russell uses his brain and plays the long game, learns from the Alonso and Hamilton fiasco, the pair could become a formidable force for MB.

Hamilton shook Verstappen (the latter will never admit, destroyed him at the last race) although Verstappen now a WDC has been very complimentary of Hamilton. I think Hamilton will stall his decision, until the unveiling of the new car, also I would guess, would want reassurance from the FIA that he wont be shafted again. If it had been Alonso in Hamilton's position and got screwed, Alonso (or Ferrari) would have imploded and be hunting down each individual responsible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom