Poll: F1 2022 - Pre-season testing and discussion

Who will win the 2022 Formula 1 constructor's title ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
There are protocols drivers need to keep to so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not fined. Toto should also be taken to task for his comments as well and quite rightfully. They both need to realise that the pair of them aren't bigger than the FIA. If that causes Mercedes to walk away from F1 then the sport will be all the better for it...

Yes, F1 needs one of the biggest car manafacturers (and long standing F1 team/engine supplier) to leave the sport…

Soldato
Reading the recent article on the BBC, Hamilton readily mentioned that he will coach Russell for the future, I hope Russell takes this onboard.

An offer from a seven times WDC to support you to work together. Being a romantic, would love a Cevert & Stewart honour relationship. I think Russell will be quick in qualifying, race pace, an unknown. If Russell uses his brain and plays the long game, learns from the Alonso and Hamilton fiasco, the pair could become a formidable force for MB.

Hamilton shook Verstappen (the latter will never admit, destroyed him at the last race) although Verstappen now a WDC has been very complimentary of Hamilton. I think Hamilton will stall his decision, until the unveiling of the new car, also I would guess, would want reassurance from the FIA that he wont be shafted again. If it had been Alonso in Hamilton's position and got screwed, Alonso (or Ferrari) would have imploded and be hunting down each individual responsible.

Hopefully Russell can keep his head screwed on, whether that changes if he gets a sniff at a WDC we shall (hopefully) see. Figure the smart money is play second fiddle to Ham for a year, he gets title 8 and sets off into retirement, probably. Russell then likely inherits a lead driver position, a competitive car, and a team that is fully on side.

Soldato
I'm not expecting much from Russell at Mercedes tbh. I think he'll be picking up from where Bottas left off, and will just be a number 2.
I've put Alpine as my poll choice but that's just more hope than belief.

I desperately want more teams to have properly competitive cars. Would be nice to see Norris on the top step.

Caporegime
Exactly.

@cuke2u the grid is already what 20 cars?

Hamilton love or loathe, brings drama and is undoubtedly one of the all time greatest, both walk away - righto.

and if the relative car performance is the same in 2022 as it was in 2021....who would be able to compete with Max? The last year showed that no one was even close. It would be an extremely dull championship.

Soldato
I'd like to think that Mercedes will spend all of this period trawling over Max's overtakes etc and be well on point to set up a very solid defence. You could see the change in attitude of Hamilton on the first lap of Abu Dhabi. He was prepared for Max to run him off, knew it was in his favour to just open up and sail off down the road leaving Horner and co to complain. I'd imagine that was expected, and well planned by Mercedes.

If Max doesn't make a lunge down the inside stick and his opponent just drives off and holds the place, it's much harder for RB to claim the the other guy gained an advantage - because he was in front anyway - and was run off the road by Max.

Add to this the spotlight on dodgy decisions by Masi and the stewards, I don't think there will be much room for Max's shenanigans. He'll have to learn to race properly like the rest of the field..

Man of Honour
There are protocols drivers need to keep to so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not fined. Toto should also be taken to task for his comments as well and quite rightfully. They both need to realise that the pair of them aren't bigger than the FIA. If that causes Mercedes to walk away from F1 then the sport will be all the better for it...

You're under the assumption that it's just the race team that would leave. I doubt it. Losing any engine supplier would be disastrous to F1. Hence all the trouble with Honda pulling out. Now imagine that the engine supplier proved power unit to 4 teams, not 2?

Mayhem and chaos ensues.

I'd like to think that Mercedes will spend all of this period trawling over Max's overtakes etc and be well on point to set up a very solid defence. You could see the change in attitude of Hamilton on the first lap of Abu Dhabi. He was prepared for Max to run him off, knew it was in his favour to just open up and sail off down the road leaving Horner and co to complain. I'd imagine that was expected, and well planned by Mercedes.

If Max doesn't make a lunge down the inside stick and his opponent just drives off and holds the place, it's much harder for RB to claim the the other guy gained an advantage - because he was in front anyway - and was run off the road by Max.

Add to this the spotlight on dodgy decisions by Masi and the stewards, I don't think there will be much room for Max's shenanigans. He'll have to learn to race properly like the rest of the field..

I'd laugh my arse off if Mercedes turned up with steel suspension components and just left the car on the inside or outside and let Verstappen just bounce off it. :D

Caporegime
and if the relative car performance is the same in 2022 as it was in 2021....who would be able to compete with Max? The last year showed that no one was even close. It would be an extremely dull championship.

I think it entirely depends if someone is given a car they can win a championship with. Look back in history. Button, Hill, Hakkinen all went up a level when they were given a truly great car.

Associate
This explains why Mercedes didn't appeal: https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/rjw3p7/exclusive_dude_the_title_was_taken_from_us/

They would have had to take it to a civil court because in an appeal the FIA would be investigating itself and the result wouldn't be changed. They were very confident that if they took it to civil court they would win, but if they did their involvement in all FIA sanctioned racing series would be terminated due to the agreement all teams have to sign when entering an FIA series.

Caporegime
This explains why Mercedes didn't appeal: https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/rjw3p7/exclusive_dude_the_title_was_taken_from_us/

They would have had to take it to a civil court because in an appeal the FIA would be investigating itself and the result wouldn't be changed. They were very confident that if they took it to civil court they would win, but if they did their involvement in all FIA sanctioned racing series would be terminated due to the agreement all teams have to sign when entering an FIA series.

I'm glad this touches on the biggest issue with Masi's actions -

"The race director cannot subvert the order of the drivers on the track at will, neither he nor anyone else. And by allowing only a few cars to cash back, he took away the possibility of those he didn't allow to compete for position with the cars that before SC were ahead of them. He manipulated not only the title between the man and Max, but also other positions that could change hands on that final lap.

It was just absurd, there is no excuse and no precedent for what was done. His prevailing authority is over the stewards, marshals, assistants and anyone else who can make decisions about the entry and exit of the safety car and other items in practice and races, but never over the regulations. Nobody has the authority to circumvent what is clearly written in the regulation. How many times have you read the sporting regulations, Adawtow?"

As he said, only letting some cars unlap and others not is quite clearly absurd and does not in any way treat all the competitors fairly. This is precisely why doing it this way would NEVER be in the regulations.

Soldato
Lewis could face a 10-place grid penalty for the first race of the 2022 Formula One season, the Bahrain Grand Prix in March, for failing to attend the FIA's end-of-year prize-giving ceremony...

Soldato
Pretty interesting. Especially about the way they configured the car for the start! Crazy they can do that (if true, taking it with a pinch of salt).

Also this, maybe Perex wasn't as hot as he was made out to look? Hamilton and Merc looking at the bigger picture and happy to drop the gap if he saved his tyres?

And that fight with Perez, was it planned?

It was a strong possibility that the Bulls used Perez to rein in the man, which is legitimate. A few laps before that happened, we already knew it was going to happen, as did the man. But he couldn't ruin his tires fighting too much with Perez. That's where his intelligence comes in not being too aggressive in that fight, or he could screw up his tires and his racing strategy. He did exactly what he had to do, wasted seconds he could lose without compromising the tires.

Soldato
Lewis could face a 10-place grid penalty for the first race of the 2022 Formula One season, the Bahrain Grand Prix in March, for failing to attend the FIA's end-of-year prize-giving ceremony...
Grid penalty’s are for racing infringements, don’t see how it can be anything but a fine for not attend the gala

Man of Honour
I'm not expecting much from Russell at Mercedes tbh. I think he'll be picking up from where Bottas left off, and will just be a number 2.
I've put Alpine as my poll choice but that's just more hope than belief.

I desperately want more teams to have properly competitive cars. Would be nice to see Norris on the top step.

I'm the same on Russell; I think he's got a very tough 2022 ahead; I also don't think he's a dead cert to be "Number 1" in 2023 if Hamilton retires; I reckon Merc would want to try and get in another top driver like Alonso, Sainz, Leclerc or Norris for 2023 in that event

Soldato
I don't know why you'd think that, he's shown that in a competitive car he can win races, that's one of the most gutting things about the 2020 season, he was so close to getting his first win!

I guess it depends on how bad you think Bottas is.

Soldato
I can never make my mind up if Horner is that much of an ass that he believes what he says. Or that much of an ass to say what he knows is BS.

And McLaren should be red and white. Enough with the orange already (yes, I know they were orange before they were red and white).

There’s a few livery changes I’d like to see. Top of the list is Aston, I’d like them to stick to green but I’m not a fan of their current green and even in person it doesn’t look great IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom