Facebook privacy?

Caporegime
I used to be able to stop anyone seeing my profile over than people in my friend list. However, I've now found that friends of friends can see me. This causes a problem, I want to be anon again. I used to show as 'facebook user' or something, when I posted on friends walls.

Anyone know how to lock down my profile again? Everyting is set to 'friends only' already :(

Associate
Got to love FB's ability to try and fix what ain't broke, I cannot work out how to make my default display picture "only friends".

Associate
The Facebook privacy settings are not hard to find so I'm not really sure why your first thought was to post on here?

Most folk posting on here are savvy enough to click Account>Privacy settings :confused:

_ST

_ST

Associate
If you are on about friends list then try this. Click on your profile and where your friends list is displayed on the left hand side. There will be a little wand thingy, just above your friends thumbnails. Click on that and then untick show friends list to everyone.

You can see how your profile looks to others by going into profile information then clicking on preview my profile.

Caporegime
OP
The Facebook privacy settings are not hard to find so I'm not really sure why your first thought was to post on here?

Most folk posting on here are savvy enough to click Account>Privacy settings :confused:

gee, you would have thought that from my OP you could see that i have been into privacy settings and ensured everything is set to 'friends only'.
clearly my first thought was not to post on here, but to actually check the settings.
also, fb help centre is no help on the matter.

so, to put it politely, go away.

Caporegime
My gf has every setting as Friends Only, but the 'add as a friend' option can only be changed to Friends of Friends. Weirdness, you can't totally hide yourself short of blocking all the people you don't want to find you :/

Permabanned
Facebook logs texts and calls, users find as they delete accounts

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...d-as-they-delete-accounts-cambridge-analytica

This popped up on my google news feed, I didn't want to start a thread for it though.

I'm sure the NSA would say if you've nothing to hide why does it matter?

Facebook makes it hard for users to delete their accounts, instead pushing them towards “deactivation”, which leaves all personal data on the company’s servers. When users do ask to permanently delete their accounts, the company suggests: “You may want to download a copy of your info from Facebook.” It is this data dump that reveals the extent of Facebook’s data harvesting – surprising even for a company known to gather huge quantities of personal information.

EDIT: I know it's an old thread but the title fits.

Man of Honour
^^ Bit of a thread bump.

I've been noticing some oddities with Facebook lately - occasionally someone's profile will show up twice - they look identical except the dates on the timeline, etc. are all out exactly by the same few days and the odd picture is aligned/cropped differently - at first thought they were copied/compromised accounts for spam, etc. but doesn't seem to be the case. Also randomly seeing what look like generic profiles for people I know don't have Facebook - I know FB supposedly created "ghost" profiles for people it tried to guess existed from regularly appearing in photos, etc. but this seems a bit weird - shows up for a few hours when a photo, etc. has been uploaded with them in then disappears again - I'm guessing some bug is going on on the back end.

EDIT: Hmm just maybe figured out from comparing the friends list of one of those - it looks like a "snapshot" of the account as it was a few days back and the number of days the timeline is out by matches about the time elapsed since that "snapshot" was taken if it is some kind of backup routine that has gone amiss. Weird the dates are offset like that though.

Permabanned
You're right that does sound a bit odd, FB's creating ghost accounts is definitely off in my books, What are they trying to do add links between strangers? I'm glad I don't use it myself.

Man of Honour
You're right that does sound a bit odd, FB's creating ghost accounts is definitely off in my books, What are they trying to do add links between strangers? I'm glad I don't use it myself.

I can't rule out some of these people having profiles that maybe a grandchild or something has setup that is used occasionally but these are all people that are older generation, tech illiterate and don't have internet and previously been against getting on Facebook or any other social media. (Or similar stories a long those lines).

Soldato
I have everything set to be as private as possible but what’s annoying me is when I comment on something it shows in my friends news feeds.

I don’t really want friends to see every time I post on a Zwift group post or comment on a post by some band.

Is there anything I can do? I’ve contemplated deleting friends and just using it for groups/following things I’m interested in!

Caporegime
Something I've noticed is people "liking" things when they've never clicked on. My wife likes all sorts of things but when I ask her she says she's never liked their page.

We've also been discussing a holiday in Ireland over the last week or so. I haven't typed it in any searches at all yet mysteriously there are ads from the Ireland Tourism Board showing on my feed.

I have to have it for my matched betting stuff and for keeping in touch with friends and family all over the world, otherwise I'd have ditched it by now.

Permabanned
The FTC is investigating Facebook over its privacy practices

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/dami...tigating-facebook-over-its-privacy-practices/

KitGuru Says: This has had a knock-on effect with many companies looking at their own personal data collection policies, trying to avoid the impending fallout. All in all, an active conversation how things should be conducted is certainly worth having and what better way than for it to be worldwide? Do you think that Facebook deserve the maximum penalty of $40,000 per violation?

Back
Top Bottom