Facebooks 50 Genders

Permabanned
OP, you clearly wanted a nice little Friday afternoon argument and your thread hasn't had the desired effect. You should have made it more sincere, with a more positive spin on it. For example, saying how you think it's great that Facebook is finally recognising on these repressed bi/cis/trans gender people.

That way you would have disgusted people into an argument of the magnitude you're truely looking for. It could've been a 4/5 pager. This is a 2.5 pager, tops.

This is now a 5 pager. You need to recalibrate your mystic ball. ;)

Man of Honour
I don't agree that it's the best form of treatment, because as I pointed out; their mortality rates are much higher than normal people even after surgery.

And lower than those with the problem who don't have a sex change. People aren't saying that sex change is a perfect solution for everyone with gender dysphoria. They're saying, completely accurately, that it's the best treatment currently available.

Even so, I don't necessarily disapprove of them going down this route if all other options have been exhausted. However these persons should not be viewed as natural women (or men) and we should not as a society pretend that this is normal.

In California there was a law passed to allow pre-op MTF to use the same facilities as girls in school. This is not acceptable to me. This is an abomination of the natural order of things.

Well, that settles it something I was previously not completely sure about. Your position is an irrational act of faith and thus not open to any thought. Sure, you're writing "nature" instead of "god" but it's exactly the same mindset - faith that your views have superhuman authority and thus are superior to any human ideas such as evidence or reason.

Caporegime
A "woman trapped in a mans body" after surgery is just a woman trapped in a mutilated man's body.

I have to agree.

What about the case of a man who believes his arm is possessed by demnons.

The man wants his arm amputated. Doctors determine there is nothing wrong with his arm (but that he's bonkers).

Do we amputate his arm or send him to the funny farm?

Is believing you're a woman in a man's body any less disturbed than believing your arm is possessed?

Permabanned
I've taken it completely out of context, but sigworthy. :D
You meanie, I'm going to start charging you for misquoting my words of wisdom :p
I love how this thread is full of bitslice's assumptions about how gay people feel

Pfft, this thread isn't full of bitslice's anything, I've only made one and a half on-topic posts (apart from telling hurfdurf he's a rogue).

Anyway I do know a little about gay girls and their problems, so I'm slightly qualified to comment :)

being straight himself. Perhaps that point at which you made your decision to be straight wasn't as clear cut as you made it seem, eh.
I never made a conscious decision to be straight? People's sexuality is a fluid thing and most people have the qualities of both sexes in varying degrees.
It would be awful if we spent our lives being afraid of who we are, especially as you can't change any of it.

Look how many people rush to qualify how straight they are just in case someone thinks they might be gay, says a lot about how insecure they are about whatever sexuality they have and just how much being gay is still seen as a negative.
People like Magnolia don't give a stuff, it's probably one of his nicer qualities.

Man of Honour
As a trans he's going to have zero interest in your daughter, other than being really excited about her shoes. However a gay girl will probably be having the odd furtive glance.

I suspect you'd still regard a disinterested penis as being the threat though, the concept of a penis not being interested does not compute.

Weirdly, on this specific aspect of the issue I'm more inclined to sort of partially agree with Thompson_NCL.

I think that it would be better overall to have desegregated toilet and changing facilities. However, I think that it's not the right thing at the moment in this society. The segregation is too extreme and too deeply engrained to simply be removed. Hardly anyone even thinks of it as segregation, though it obviously is.

I think that it's very important that a person's sex is defined solely on the basis of physical things. If a person's sex is defined in terms of mental things, so that even thoughts are deemed to be sexed, it's inevitable that sexism will be endemic.

Given those two things, I think it's currently wrong for a pre-op transexual to use sexually segregated facilities for the sex they're going to be in the future, although it might be the least bad option available.

Associate
Did you not read the recent "persecution of gays" topic? Those attitudes are still around today, from some of the same people posting in this topic now!

Those attitudes are more prevalent than you may think, if you even truly don't hold them yourself...

I find the amount of people whose opinions vary depending on their audience to be staggering.

You'd be surprised how many people make extremely racist remarks to me when they find out I'm South African, as if I'm going to just join in because of stereotypes. I guarantee those same people would heartily and self-righteously deny being bigoted in any way.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think that it's very important that a person's sex is defined solely on the basis of physical things. If a person's sex is defined in terms of mental things, so that even thoughts are deemed to be sexed, it's inevitable that sexism will be endemic.
That's asking them to delay any understanding of their sexuality until they leave school?
Which practically might as well be the case, the last place you'd want to be outed is in a UK School.

tbh I find the trans stuff a bit hard to follow, I've only met a few.

Soldato
More drivel unrelated to the topic at hand. Come back when you've got something to say.

And don't think that nobody can see through your "big man" insults.

I don't need to say anything more, your posts speak for themselves and anyone with half a brain can see that via the choice quotes I've highlighted and the fact that you could only respond with at first lies, so you had to then cowardly edit your post when you were caught out, then with tears about your kid being mentioned, then getting upset even more about the idea of meeting up irl! Your posts reflect your opinions in more way than one.

Soldato
OP
I don't think they should close a thread like that, though they did eventually. In part, it enables the more enlightened among us to attempt to educate those still stuck in the 50s.

The fact that you think yourself intellectually superior because you subscribe to 'progressive' social mores, suggests to me that you are perhaps in need of some education yourself.

Associate
I don't need to say anything more, your posts speak for themselves and anyone with half a brain can see that via the choice quotes I've highlighted and the fact that you could only respond with at first lies, so you had to then cowardly edit your post when you were caught out, then with tears about your kid being mentioned, then getting upset even more about the idea of meeting up irl! Your posts reflect your opinions in more way than one.

What you mean, Mr Overcompensator, is that you have nothing original to say. You're rehashing the same thing now for the third time.

What you call cowardly I call polite, something you plainly don't understand as there's nothing to be frightened of, unless you think that your keyboard warrior persona is actually enough to frighten a person. Admittedly, I am concerned about being banned as my experience of other forum mods is that they play favourites (unsure about the ones here, although from what I read it isn't great).

There were no tears, but I suppose if you say something often enough you'll end up believing your own BS. And how did you come up with "upset"? It's hilarious that there are still people who call people out online, I'm astonished that you're actually serious about it, then again I shouldn't be surprised as it fits in with your need to be recognised as a tough guy.

At least you are correct about my opinions, the intelligent do have the ability to layer their communication.

And yet the mods do nothing...

Why would the mods do anything about people having different, if unpopular opinions? GD would probably fall into disuse were that the case.

Soldato
Thompson_NCL would probably wet himself in anger if he found out my old uni (Royal Holloway) has gender-neutral toilets...

The horror! How are students not scarred for life?

The engineer in me has always thought that gendered toilets are incredibly inefficient.

Soldato
Half of the new variations mean the same bloody thing.

They should bring out variants for 'male' and 'female'

'The Man'
'Don Wan'
'LAD'

'Kitchen Wench'
'Bootylicious babe'

etc etc :D

Soldato
The fact that you think yourself intellectually superior because you subscribe to 'progressive' social mores, suggests to me that you are perhaps in need of some education yourself.

I don't think myself intellectually superior. I think that I care much more for the word, and for the creatures in it, than some people do. I am well educated, thank you.

Soldato
OP
I don't think myself intellectually superior. I think that I care much more for the word, and for the creatures in it, than some people do. I am well educated, thank you.

It's statements like these which makes me question how well educated you are. You've such a narrow-minded view of the world and your position in it, that it baffles me how you can claim to care about anything.

Allow me to let you in on a little secret: Even the far-right 'care' about the world, the people and the creatures in it. Have you ever read up on Fascisms position on the environment? I imagine not. You'd be surprised to discover they are very green. You might also be shocked to discover they believe in things like welfare, workers rights and so forth.

The problem is that you're so deeply entrenched in your maternal view of the world, that you cannot fathom the possibility that the people on the paternal side of the argument also care. They just disagree on what is the best course of action.

Back
Top Bottom