• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Falling out of love with Anti-Aliasing

Associate
Since you have an AMD card, you could try to turn AA and use radeon super resolution to play the game at an higher resolution than native.
I do this with older games (RSR 1440p in my 1080p monitor) and the results are quite good.

Soldato
for some reason and it miught just be me, the implementation of TAA nowadays is poor and smudges like you've pointed out so as I'm running 4k in everything I never EVER turn it on, takes all the detail out the picture. Yet in years gone by when I turned it on... it worked... not sure how AA tech has changed BUT it's 100% not for the better so I simply leave off.

RSR is the best option in my opinion for performance, the detail it makes up for I've tested for quite sometime when running say a lower res... it's a fantastic and really underated tech tbh.

Caporegime
old school AA only cared about image quality and now it's a compromise.

games appear much better these days anyway even at 1080 without AA compared to back in the day, way less jaggies by default I guess rendering methods improved or something.

Man of Honour
old school AA only cared about image quality and now it's a compromise.

games appear much better these days anyway even at 1080 without AA compared to back in the day, way less jaggies by default I guess rendering methods improved or something.

Probably just that there is more detail on the screen making the jaggies less noticeable compared to when you had less scene complexity and a lot more plain primitive edges on display.

Caporegime
I remember using something called 'wide tent' for AA in the ATi control panel.

I think it was x32 and, oh my, did it hit the frames hard!

Associate
I remember using something called 'wide tent' for AA in the ATi control panel.

I think it was x32 and, oh my, did it hit the frames hard!

As someone who gamed though the first years of 3D acceleration on 3dfx Voodoo's etc, i think its ingrained in my soul to take off AA and reduce shadow quality for the fear of turning the game into a slide-show.

Back then you could use smoke grenades to literally grenade someone's FPS!

Back
Top Bottom