Fallout 3 and New Vegas incompatible with Windows 10?

Associate
Fallout 3 and New Vegas is apparently incompatible with windows 7 and above. Does anyone know a way of getting it to play? I have a version of windows 10. Fallout 3 straight up wont work. And Fallout New Vegas will load to a degree then crash. I have bought and downloaded them onto steam, if someone can help me out then it would be appreciated. Thanks.

ADP

ADP

Associate
I play both games no problems on Windows 10, I had to change some graphics settings to stop the game from crashing.

Associate
I've previously got Fallout 3 to work on Win7 by installing windows live. Not sure if you would need to do something similar for win10

Man of Honour
I play both games no problems on Windows 10, I had to change some graphics settings to stop the game from crashing.

Agreed, I have played both on windows 10 without any problems, my fallout 3 is a box copy and was non steam, new vegas was also a box copy but basically came with a cd and steam key which tied the game to steam.

For fallout 3 I would start by setting it to run in compatibility mode for windows 7 then in "..My Documents\My Games\Fallout3" back up the folder to the desktop or somewhere and re-launch the game see if it loads, if it does then happy days. New Vegas you might want to have a look in the same place. I cant remember if the steam version keeps the user config files in the same place but I imagine it does.

Associate
played fallout new vegas briefly only last week on windows 10 didn't have to do anything to get it running either . the last time I set up fallout out 3 though was on windows 7 and I did have to change and tweak quite a few settings to get it working properly biggest issue was with audio I think but its all fixable

Soldato
You need to give this mod a go, sorted it for me: install http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/?
Grab nexus mod manager from that site also as it makes life easier to install mods.

Edit: Also you'll need New Vegas Script Extender to enable most mods http://nvse.silverlock.org/ This has to be done manually and you launch the game using nvse_loader.exe not the normal NV.exe

Last edited:

ADP

ADP

Associate
Just checked my system, the graphics option (Depth Fog / Water Multisampling) that I previously had to disable to stop the game from crashing under Windows 8 is in fact enabled on my Windows 10 system.

So in other words, Fallout 3 is in fact running no problems for me under Windows 10 with all the default graphics options enabled.

Man of Honour
They'll run fine, but you'll probably have to tweak them to get to that state.

Would still recommend using a auto save mod too. Still not the most stable of games.

Associate
for mods for these games you want to get nexus mod manager and the nvse script thingy someone else mentioned. there are some very good easy to understand youtube vids about doing this by someone called gopher I think it is

Back
Top Bottom