family car

Permabanned
We've been looking for a family car for a while now, we ended up choosing between a Honda CR-V 1.6 i-DTEC 160 EX 5dr Auto or a BMW 220i Luxury 5dr DCT Gran Tourer.

I know they are slightly different cars, the man in me wants the petrol, the dad in me wants the CR-V.

Would like to know your thoughts, cheers

Associate
Can’t say Iv seen the boot space in 2 series, in the flesh, I can’t imagine that it’s that big. Getting kids in the back and doing up belts could be a chore. I know when I had my 650i had a massive boot and half decent space in the back. But climbing in, to do my youngest’s belt up became a chore after awhile.

Man of Honour
My opinion is that the 220i Gran Tourer is about the worst car they've ever made, but it's rather unfair as I'm coming at it from a totally different angle and it's a very different car to the sort BMW usually make. It has very few of the usual things that make a BMW great. However it's unlikely that's why you are looking at it as the comparison with the Honda shows.

In isolation, it's a nicely put together family car with a decent infotainment system and nice enough interior. It's just... rather different to the other 2 Series in the range :D

Permabanned
OP
Cheers, I think I've pretty much made my mind up on the Honda. Just wanted to see if anyone could sway me. I have considered other SUVs in my price range (around 18k) but leg room at the back is an issue on most of them.

The bimmer appealed as it had a couple extra seats, was a 2.0 petrol and the badge. Sensible cap on, I think I'll go Honda as it fits pretty much all my needs and is highly specced

Permabanned
OP
We are going from a Mondeo 240 powershift which we owned for 4 years.

We find it more enjoyable driving something a bit higher up, plus it's a bit more practical getting two young kids in and out rather than doing our backs in bending down.

Skoda's also look a bit grandad (in our opinion).

Permabanned
OP
Don't worry, we can go without seeing a Honda or 2 Series :p

Enjoy your purchase!

:rolleyes:

It's you again... you may depart the thread.

Anyone else have any experience with CR-Vs? Would appreciate some feedback before I go ahead with the purchase. Cheers!

Last edited:
Soldato
:rolleyes:

It's you again... you may depart the thread.

Anyone else have any experience with CR-Vs? Would appreciate some feedback before I go ahead with the purchase. Cheers!
:p I didn't even realise it was dad of the year! I was actually being genuine when I said enjoy your purchase. Thought you'd settled on the Honda. Next doors had one for ages, seemed bullet proof.

Associate
I bought a cheap FRV and used the remainder for a proper car!

I prefer the FRV

(I'll get my coat ; just my two pennith)

Back
Top Bottom