Family Tree Researchers/Photobook

Soldato
Hello guys,

Do any of you research your family tree or have done in the past?

I have been doing mine, so far so good.

I want to make it so others can sit with a hard copy of my research and i believe the easiest and cheapest way is simply through using photobook services.

Now, has anyone ever done a family history book as i have no idea how to go about it, layout wise.

Also, as for Photobook websites, who do you recommend as there is so many out there.

Thanks all

Soldato
May parents have been doing this.. Greatx5 Grandparents on my mums side (1700s in direct line).. my dad had the same then decided he had made an error.. and I didn't hear much more than that..

I know we had someone that had £80K back in the 1800s.. so there goes the multimillionaire as the kids spend it all and he became a gardener after quitting Eton :D

We have lots of pub landlords in there too and the pubs still exist around Canterbury.

Last edited:
Associate
There is a company who given the relevant info will do all the work for you and turn it into a large hardback book for a few grand. If I remember the name of said company i'll get back to you.

Soldato
[Thread revival]

Thought I would just share this -

I used ancestry.co.uk, the information you put on the site automatically (if your lucky) links to data provided by others - I was surpised by how quick the tree built up.

About 10 months back I decided to research my family tree half expecting to find an interesting ancestor. After a few months of casual on/off research I got as far back as 1705.
Turns out my most distant known relative had an occupation listed as 'Stone Fetcher' - I kid you not, so it looks like I am related to the Flintstones - Yabba dabba doo

So my best advise is - do you really want to know :D

Soldato
We did my dad's side for a Christmas present for him. Turns out they haven't moved more than 2 miles in nearly 300 years! Pretty much all the blokes were either forgemen or worked in the railway yards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Turns out they haven't moved more than 2 miles in nearly 300 years!

Mine moved about 40 miles since 1700, I marked family locations on a map and it was almost a straight line starting at the coast to our current area inland.
Loss of land due to coastal flooding meant a lot of people lost thier source of food/income, it looks like some followed the canal/railway routes in search of work.

Soldato
I done mine and ended up finding out a lot! I tried to do the hard copy thing to show people but it didn't work out. Spreading from Ireland to Prussia!

The easiest option was to invite them to your ancestry family tree to view it (assuming you have one).

Soldato
I couldnt print a decent copy either, tried a few freeware/shareware programs but the output was a bit naff.
I still have my A1 drafting board from my uni days so I am going to do it the old fashioned way

Edit: Will look into your recommendation

Last edited:
Associate
The Family Tree Maker software is very good. Depending on the version you buy you also get some free months membership at ancestry.co.uk - which is valid even if the version of the software you buy is not the latest. So it can be worth looking for a sealed copy of an older version which will be cheaper than the current version but still gives you the free subscription.

Soldato
Just got an e-mail tonight saying Ancestry will stop supporting Family Tree Maker next year.

Linking your account to the software might not work when they stop support. It'd be pretty useless without it.

Soldato
Mine moved about 40 miles since 1700, I marked family locations on a map and it was almost a straight line starting at the coast to our current area inland.
Loss of land due to coastal flooding meant a lot of people lost thier source of food/income, it looks like some followed the canal/railway routes in search of work.

As boring as it sounds when you say it, I found it really interesting reading.

Soldato
Ancestry basically works by using everyone's data to fill in the gaps on everyone else.. The main thing is that people do the work in small chunks multiplied by the number of people using it.

Having separate packages that don't share the data aren't really helpful to Ancestry themselves.

Back
Top Bottom