1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fan Setup

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rowan88, 15 Sep 2021.

1. Rowan88

Wise Guy

Hi.

My nephew bought a 3 pack of cheap fans. On each one it had a molex and 3 pin header.

Am I correct in saying if you connect via molex the fans will run at full speed constantly?

If I ignore the molex and just connect them via 3 pin header to ports on the motherboard (Tomahawk B450 II) then I should change the BIOS to Smart Fan then PWM then it will run quiet and ramp up based on temps?

Cheers

2. Dg834man

Gangster

you got a link to these fans, pretty weird having molex and 3 pin for power, these days if a fan has two separate cables one is for power the other for rgb.

Yeah if they are connected to molex they will just run at a set speed.

3 pin fans aren't pwm the 4 pin ones are but you can still control them via bios in voltage mode

3. Rowan88

Wise Guy

They were on the "website that using prime". Think the brand was upHere.

Im not a fan (pun intended) of them but I swapped them over to using onboard 3 pin headers then in the BIOS changed it to DC and enabled Smart Fan.

I was told PWM wouldn't work as the 4th pin is missing so DC will do a similar thing by sending "bursts" of voltage to the fans depending on temp.

Cheers