Fanless PSU ... are they good?

Associate
What do you guys think of them? The idea sounds great, don't know how good they are in the real world i.e. playing games, heat etc. Sounds like a novel idea, don't know why we don't see many of them in the market?

Thanks

Soldato
What do you guys think of them? The idea sounds great, don't know how good they are in the real world i.e. playing games, heat etc. Sounds like a novel idea, don't know why we don't see many of them in the market?

Thanks

You can only dissipate so much heat though convection.

Designs of fanless PSUs fall in to two categories, both of which are expensive.

1. Massive heatsinks
  2. Outright efficiency - the design does not produce much heat like the Seasonic 80 Plus Gold designs

'Smart' fan control is a much better idea, coupled with high efficiency - an example is the Seasonic X series platform (both Gold and Platinum 80 Plus rated designs) which the Corsair AX series and the XFX Black Edition use as a platform.

Associate
OP
You can only dissipate so much heat though convection.

Designs of fanless PSUs fall in to two categories, both of which are expensive.

1. Massive heatsinks
  2. Outright efficiency - the design does not produce much heat like the Seasonic 80 Plus Gold designs

'Smart' fan control is a much better idea, coupled with high efficiency - an example is the Seasonic X series platform (both Gold and Platinum 80 Plus rated designs) which the Corsair AX series and the XFX Black Edition use as a platform.

Thanks for the info, the Seasonic X series are reasonably priced as well!

Soldato
Thanks for the info, the Seasonic X series are reasonably priced as well!

A lot of reputable PSU 'manufacturers' owe their good name to Seasonic or Delta - both good, reliable OEMs. You can't really go wrong with the X series platform tbh - check on JonnyGURU for PSU reviews, he's the best in the business.

Soldato

Thanks

Well I have a fan in my PSU and I've never heard it in 4 odd years (I tell a lie, I had to turn off every fan bar the cpu in the PC and stick my lughole right next to it to make sure it was on!), so for me (with my PSU), pretty pointless.

Soldato
Well I have a fan in my PSU and I've never heard it in 4 odd years (I tell a lie, I had to turn off every fan bar the cpu in the PC and stick my lughole right next to it to make sure it was on!), so for me (with my PSU), pretty pointless.

pretty similar to me,
I have a corsair HX520, and i never hear the fan, i have also had to check a couple of times to make sure its actually working.
The fans on my NH-D14 are louder

Associate
OP
pretty similar to me,
I have a corsair HX520, and i never hear the fan, i have also had to check a couple of times to make sure its actually working.
The fans on my NH-D14 are louder

oh no :(, I bought a few NH-D14 fans because I heard they were super quiet! whoops

Back
Top Bottom