FAO Adz and other Omega 3.0 V6 owners

Associate
Hey, firstly a bit of back ground info on my driving history...

I get bored of cars very easily and am forever wanting to change, I've had a VW Polo 1l, 306Dturbo, Pug 106 quicksilver and now a mk5 fiesta zetec s. Now I've been doing quotes on some different cars for when my insurance runs out in June and thought to myself how much it would be to insure some luxo-barges after a friend in work has an Omega Elite 3.0 V6. £982, 20YO, 2NCB, I think this is great considering I pay £650 now for a 1.6.

So speaking to my friend in work about the cars, he told me I could take it for a spin so on our dinner we did just that, he had other drivers insurance and I have DOC cover so it was all in order. It's an auto box and having never driven an auto before thinking they're useless I was shocked, the comfort, calmness and general feel of the car accelerating and at speed was fantastic, I loved the leather seats, air con, the dash strangely appealed to me, heck even the fancy rear window screen thingy was cool.

So now I really really want one of these cars specifically and Elite, (top spec?) 3.0. Just a few questions really, how much would a nice example be? What mileage would things go wrong? Does the auto box go wrong often? Is there a manual version, not particulary bothered as I quite like the idea of a lazy auto! Also any info you can give me would be great!

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
[ Ry ] said:
72 views, no replies?

They all fell asleep after reading the word Omega. It's certainly not a car to chose if you want a bit of fun - it'll coset you up the Motorway for very little cash but thats about that.

To answer your questions yes they do a manual, it can be found in the MV6 but it's a very rare car. As it's a Vauxhall things go wrong at all mileages - the Omega is probably one of the best cars they've ever made but sadly that doesn't mean its reliable. In 2001, when the model was in its prime, it was the most attended to broken down car on the German Autobahn according to ADAC.

As for cost - they start at well under £1k but if you want a properly decent one, I'd try and find at least £2-3k and go for an MV6.

Or just buy something else that actually IS fun.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
It's a long time since I've had a 3.0l Omega. My last car was a 2.5 but I did have a 3.0l Elite a couple of years back when I was 18 - insurance was < £1000 too!

As Fox said, it's not a fun car to drive. If you want thrills and spills, you'd be better off in a Mk3 Fiesta or a Corsa. Seriously.

It is however a massively roomy, fast, capable cruiser and feels like a proper luxury car for < £2000. The boot is huge, it'll tow if you want to, it seats 5 people in relative comfort if necessary, the Bose stereo option on the Elite is great. If that's what you want from a car, it's a great contender.

I'd definitely have the Auto over manual. It's not really a car suited to a manual gearbox.

The Auto 'box can be a nightmare if it does go wrong. However, Omegas are ten a penny so if the worst does happen you can always pick up a recon engine/gearbox for peanuts and find a decent backstreet mechanic who is willing to tackle it. What I would do however is cut my losses, eBay the car and buy another.

HTH :)

Associate
Certain luxo-barges are v.cheap to insure. I know little about Omegas but will tell you what I did last year.

At 21 (this time last year) with 2NCB I wanted a luxo-barge for a bit; I did research, and Saab 9000's, Jaguar XJ's and Vauxhall Omega's all came out as absurdly cheap to insure. Cheaper even than a 1.8 mondeo LX!

I plumped for an XJ in the end as the Omega didn't have quite enough character imo.

The XJ cost me £440 to insure - and that was with my 20yr old gf, another 20yr old girl, a 22yr old mate and a 19yr old mate who had just passed his test. Was the greatest bragain ever.

Got rid of mine in September as i'm a student - I was spending so much in fuel and I had a feeling it wouldn't last the next winter.... but mine was a real cheap banger.

Not sure of your budget - but don't restrict yourself to just the Omega, there are plenty other big engined automatic cars which have depreciated so much its scary.

EDIT: A 406 may also be a good buy, the petrol ones are dirt cheap and handle better than a really big luxo saloon. I drive a 2.0 W reg executive - it's great but could use a bit more power - there's some lovely 3.0 V6 406's out there for very little money, which would be just great.

Last edited:
Associate
as above 406 is a good choice, I've got a 2.0 one which isn't quick - but not underpowered. It handles pretty darn well for it's size too...

Adz

Adz

Soldato
cloudy said:
as above 406 is a good choice, I've got a 2.0 one which isn't quick - but not underpowered. It handles pretty darn well for it's size too...

Better in terms of driver involvement (and running costs/reliability!) but not in the same league in terms of space, spec, comfort and refinement.

Associate
Adz said:
Better in terms of driver involvement (and running costs/reliability!) but not in the same league in terms of space, spec, comfort and refinement.

My 406 is better specced than any Omega I know of - But yeah - agree on the rest. :)

Adz said:
I've got a 2.0 one which isn't quick - but not underpowered. It handles pretty darn well for it's size too...

Summed up what I think about my car - it's just about quick enough for me at the moment - though can't wait till uni is over and I get something just as luxurious but fast too.

I'd recommend the 3.0 V6 were the Op to consider it - more specifically the post 99 210bhp version.

Associate
Adz said:

well on the spec front, you have auto dimming rear view mirror, auto wipers, fog lights, heated leather seats, folding wing mirrors, climate control, auto demist, JBL speaker system, 6 disc changer, sat nav, power one touch windows, remote control, immobiliser I doubt the omega exceeds this by any margin if at all?

space wise, a 406 estate is absolutely huge!

I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly!

Soldato
cloudy said:
well on the spec front, you have auto dimming rear view mirror, auto wipers, fog lights, heated leather seats, folding wing mirrors, climate control, auto demist, JBL speaker system, 6 disc changer, sat nav, power one touch windows, remote control, immobiliser I doubt the omega exceeds this by any margin if at all?

space wise, a 406 estate is absolutely huge!

I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly!

all of our 406's at work with sat nav have packed in, these are last of the 406's on 53 plates :(

Associate
cloudy said:
406 has....

You missed out the memory for the electric seats and mirrors and the cruise control, as well as the integral rear sunblind! :D

But yeah, don't go straight for an Omega mr OP - plenty of other cheap and fast saloons out there.

Associate
I had a 2.5 TD CDX, was a fantastic barge, as has been said already, great comfort level or goodies was great too, but not a car to drive if you want to have fun, although it is rear wheel drive, and with a BMW straight 6 diesel lump in was pretty nifty even being an auto :D

Adz

Adz

Soldato
It'll go like hell in a straight line and with decent tyres will take a sweeping bend (like a motorway sliproad) at ludicrous and illegal speeds but show it a B road and it's just too soft, too big and too unwieldy. Still one of my favourite cars though and the last of the big RWD Vauxhalls before the travesty that was the Signum :p.

Call me crazy but I'd actually consider a Scorpio as an alternative to an Omega. I love the oddball looks and the fact that you can actually have a 'cosworth' for < £2000.

Caporegime
I want to know how people my age are getting so much cheap insruance???? :confused: I pay 850 for a 1.4 for an mk3 astra! Regarding the omega, dads got a 2.5 v6 had a shot now and then to the shop ( and a back road but don't tell him ;) ) it is pretty fast for an auto! RWD too!

Associate
OP
Got a quote down to 808 notes so now I really want one. I don't really need/want a fun car, but if you can suggest a fun 3.0 V6 car with all the options an omega has for less than 2k and less that 900 insurance then I'll take a peek.

I'm thinking grey, 18" multispoke alloys and lowered slightly with light tints and possibly a dual exit exhaust on either side. Yummy :D

Does anyone has any pics of there Omega's?

Man of Honour
[ Ry ] said:
Got a quote down to 808 notes so now I really want one.

After a thread where everyone, without exception and including the owners, said 'Dont bother'?

I wonder why people ask sometimes I really do :p

Remember, you might be able to afford to buy a £2k 3.0 V6 but can you afford to run one? These have the running costs of a £30,000 car becuase originally, they WERE £30,000 cars.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Remember, you might be able to afford to buy a £2k 3.0 V6 but can you afford to run one? These have the running costs of a £30,000 car becuase originally, they WERE £30,000 cars.

Something I forgot to mention even the 2.5TD I had only did around 28MPG...so lord only knows how bad the 3.0V6 would be :)

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Syngress said:
Something I forgot to mention even the 2.5TD I had only did around 28MPG...so lord only knows how bad the 3.0V6 would be :)

I used to get 28mpg on a 90mph cruise. Around town... just don't look at the trip computer :p.

Fox - I did a combined 20,000 miles in my 2 Omegas (both were < £2000) and didn't have a single breakdown or serious problem. The worst thing to go wrong was a leaking heater bypass valve right at the back of the block - you had to take all kinds of crap off to get to it. None of the local mechanics would touch it (one even insisted I had to have the whole engine out) but the Vauxhall main dealer did the job for £150!

[ Ry ] - soon as you start modding it, you've invested in it which is a bad thing as catastrophic failure could end up costing you a lot of money. Treat it as a cheap banger and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Pics of my Elite - http://www.ocuk-motors.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=236

Back
Top Bottom