FAO: Electricians

Soldato
I've a new build house completing in October and have the electrican coming back for a second fix, he's laying extra first fix wiring for downlights at the moment.

I'll be using mains fire rated downlight fittings and LED GU10 bulbs.

There's a lot of choice for bulbs available with quality differing etc.

Where I live at the moment I don't have any downlights but I would like to test several bulbs before I have moved so that I can buy everything and have it all ready to be fitted.

I was wondering if it's possible to wire a downlight fitting to a plug which I could then use with a socket to try out a few different bulbs. I know how a plug is wired but don't know if a mains downlight is done in a similar fashion? or if what I've suggested is safe or possible?

Thanks,

BennyC

Soldato
Gu10 Lamps are mains powered, so as long as you use only 240V lamps, you'll be fine. Doesn't matter which wire goes to which pin.

Apart from the whole "shorting to earth" problem.

Plug end - Brown to the one with the fuse, Green/Yellow goes up top, blue to the one opposite the fuse.

Light end - Brown & Blue to the bulb terminals (usually in a closed case with two terminal blocks with white wire going to the bulb holder), Green/Yellow goes to the terminal on the metalwork of the lamp holder.

Soldato
OP
Apart from the whole "shorting to earth" problem.

Plug end - Brown to the one with the fuse, Green/Yellow goes up top, blue to the one opposite the fuse.

Light end - Brown & Blue to the bulb terminals (usually in a closed case with two terminal blocks with white wire going to the bulb holder), Green/Yellow goes to the terminal on the metalwork of the lamp holder.

Thanks very much :)

Back
Top Bottom