FAO Fox: Buying a E39 530i Sport

Soldato
The best advice I can give is be patient.

If you're not in a rush and it has to be an e39 then just keep checking all the usual car sites, ebay and owners forums and don't rush in to buying a poor example.

The odd nice one does come up but can be months and months and months between them becoming available.

Associate
Soldato
Second one looks good but no way of telling unless you go see it in person. They're all zero spec which is a shame. Never bothered me when I got mine though but I have spent a fair bit retrofitting various bits.

Consider joining the BMW5 forum. Enthusiast-owned cars come up for sale fairly often - mainly saloons though. Also a wealth of good advice on there.

Caporegime
I like the look of the 04 plate one, as for it being auto, I'd prefer it tbh, it suits the car much better than a manual - I think Fox would agree.

As said though, what looks good in photo's can (and often is) poor in the flesh as such.

Soldato
Also on the leading edge of the OS sill, and a cracked front bumper...

My wife's is a silver 2003 53 525i tourer, with an annoying patch of DIY-incurable rust forming on the underside leading edge of the bonnet and a bleb also on the inside of the tailgate. It's pretty clean otherwise. That 04 plate looks good...

Last edited:
Soldato
The 04 looks good from the advert, I'd prioritise viewing that one.

With the Touring, check everything electrical on the tailgate, including the glass hatch opens. Also, the rear wiper mechanism tends to seize up and is about £60-70 in parts to replace. The wiring between car body and boot lid can also begin to fail through age causing issues locking the boot and with various lights. My high level brake light recently stopped working and I am suspecting this but yet to investigate. Again a cheap fix to DIY so no worry.

I wouldn't get too hung up on spec. If it's a sport model then standard equipment is reasonable enough and aesthetically looks much nicer than an SE. The Nav makes the dash look fresher but it's an ancient system nowadays so I'd not care for that at all.

My Touring has Chromatic wing mirror glass which is actually really quite useful but these, along with most other nice trinkets, can be fairly-easily retrofitted. Part prices are reasonable too.

When first looking at E39s I wanted a Manual. I couldn't find a nice one so bought a very nice Auto Saloon. I then actively looked (for about a year!) for a 530i Sport Touring AUTO. I much prefer the Auto for the sort of driving I do. When I use our other car, a manual, it feels like a ton of effort driving in traffic. Lazy I know.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't believe the reports that an oil change would lead to premature box failure so see no reason not to as part of routine maintenance.

The E39 service schedule in the USA includes Autobox fluid change...

Soldato
I suppose it seems prudent. If I can get the right oil just drain what comes out and put the same amount back in. I understand the torque converter holds a lot of the oil so you wont get a full change easily.

What if it was low on fluid?

Just fill it up till it dribbles then do up the bolt. Start the car, PRND for 5 seconds each, leave the car running and top off the box again until it dribbles then torque up.

Generally if you're starting cold and you can top it off within 15 minutes you don't really need to do a temp check.

Trannys come overfilled from the factory anyway.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Personally i do not see any logic in people saying that changing fluid would damage their gearbox. AT fluid is a lubrication product which breaks down and gathers dirt the same as any other.

Ive changed the fluid on all of my autoboxes and have not had a failure yet. Mercedes mandate changes in their routine maintenance as to Vauxhall. I have also had the fluid changed in my ZF5HP24 in my Range Rover which is fundamentally the same box as the E39 uses. In a nutshell i would personally always change the fluid.

Caporegime
Had my e39 - 2000 530i Sport - over an inspection pit recently and undid the fill plug, nothing came out (I've read they are usually overfilled slightly) safe to say my oil level is low, I'm planning on a fluid change soon as I occasionally get the yellow gearbox warning light on my dash (box seems smooth and changes promptly though) so long as the right fluid is used, I also fail to see why it would harm it.....
Fingers crossed!

Just wondering what fluid to use, seems to be conflicting advice on the web....

Back
Top Bottom