FAO Jonny69: 1172cc motor......

Soldato
Jonny, looking at a Ford Pop and was just wondering how you got on with the 1172cc sidevalve.

I see that there's a fair few tuning bits available off the shelf for them - ally heads, intake manifolds, etc, but just wondered if it's a viable proposition for a weekend rod.

Cheers! Any input appreciated :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Haha, good choice!

The Pop engine is pretty bulletproof in stock form but if you tune it up significantly it'll destroy the white metal bearings in no time at all. All of mine did it and I only got 2000 miles out the last one. However, the later 100E sidevalve has proper shell bearings in the bottom end and is a lot stronger. It's a bit of a faf to fit but they are cheap and it'll always have a few hp over the Pop engine as a bonus.

You'll spend a lot of money on tuning bits for about 65hp. The thing is, you can get almost that much with a cam, a head skim to get the compression up and some simple internal fettling with a file and a dremel. Aquaplane gear works out quite expensive for what you get and it's quite a lot of hassle to set up.

Remember the car only has 3 gears and a 5.5 rear ratio, so 60mph max. I got 85mph out of mine but it won't last long doing those revs. It's definitely a sit at 55mph comfortably car. I'd drive one before you commit because they're not for everyone.

Soldato
Remember the car only has 3 gears and a 5.5 rear ratio, so 60mph max. I got 85mph out of mine but it won't last long doing those revs. It's definitely a sit at 55mph comfortably car. I'd drive one before you commit because they're not for everyone.

Out of interest, could you not put a different box or a different differential on?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Out of interest, could you not put a different box or a different differential on?
The box isn't an easy one without a lot of chopping about because the rear suspension and cable braking system all pivots off it and it all mounts up through the main crossmember in the chassis. If you're going to make that many modifications and you have to go to juice brakes, you might as well use different engine and box completely.

New rear ratios come in a 4.7 and (I think) a 4.4 but it's an expensive swap at about £350 for the parts. It would definitely make a huge difference though.

Back
Top Bottom