FAO people with very low cars.

Soldato
OP
Buy a jack which fits under the bumper and gets to the front jacking point (lowered DC2 on coilovers.

I use the same jack for the rear but with a block of wood on, as the jacking point is too high to get the distance required between the rear side jacking points and ground if just using the jack.

Sounds very simple tbh, we did a car jack design in one of our First Year modules.

Dissertation was: Production of Nitrogen Doped Graphitic Nanofibres and Mechanical and Electrical Testing of Biomedical Nanofibre Composites.

4th Year Group Project: Variable angle compressed air golf ball cannon able to replicate amateur and professional spin levels.

^ Project was full of win!!!!!!

That's an awesome project :D Wasn't yours a BEng/MEng course though?

Associate
I use a low profile jack which suits me fine.

when i was looking i cam across some air bag jacks. Just like a bag which you put under the car, pump up then you can support it with axle stands or whatever. looked like an interesting idea which you could probably use in your dissertation.

for banger racing we use a hiab to lift the car up with a strap through the windows. it doesnt matter how low it is that way :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I can't get a jack under most of the underside of mine. I can just about get my trolley jack under the back of the sill if I poke it through the rear wheel arch and slide it under, so I usually jack it there, stick an axle stand under it and move the jack elsewhere. If I had a slimmer jack I could jack it by the diff casing but there would be no way I'd get a slim jack under the front crossmember or have enough clearance to turn the handle on a scissor jack.

Soldato
I use a low profile jack which suits me fine.

when i was looking i cam across some air bag jacks. Just like a bag which you put under the car, pump up then you can support it with axle stands or whatever. looked like an interesting idea which you could probably use in your dissertation.

for banger racing we use a hiab to lift the car up with a strap through the windows. it doesnt matter how low it is that way :p

There used to be adverts in the motoring press many years ago (probably 20ish) for, IIRC, an exhaust driven expansion jack. This slotted under the car (and probably would have fitted under a kart let along a low car) and then inflated.

For my Elise (jacking point is less than 90mm from the ground), I just use a Clarke low entry racing jack.

Soldato
My Mx-5 is low, not overly so but I still can't even get a low-rise trolley jack under it so I have to use the car's own jack first and then the trolley - it's a pain in the arse!

Soldato
I use a hydraulic jack with low down - shipped straight from china with superb engrish instructions.

Does the job though, mx has about 90mm clearance, jack bottoms out at 80mm - happy days.

Soldato
I was asking more about the "Eng" rather than the "M" ;);););)

Soo many winks :D

4 yr undergrad in Mechanical Design, Materials and Manufacture @ Notts.

Pretty good course actually and certainly enjoyed it more then Mech Eng, plus the modules were a lot more relevent for real life jobs after uni rather than just being a Mech Eng guy who FEA model better then he can please a girl ;)

Permabanned
Car ramps must be past their sell by date by now, I couldn't drive onto mine with a mondeo, I had to use a little run of bricks first - yay, secure feeling.

I'll have to get a pair of those extension ramps that iammed mentioned.

Can someone redesign the jack please, every design seems to require bruised knuckles.

Back
Top Bottom