FAO: "Use the search!!" Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
In the event of somebody posting a thread regarding a topic where another thread on the same topic already exists, every single time this yields replies such as "omg use the search!!!111"

In the case of a topic with distinct key words such as "new computer virus", yes I agree a search would find it and thus you have right to complain that the OP didnt use the search facility.

Unlike some people on these forums (no names mentioned), I have better things to do than spend all day every day on forums and therefore would not know if a certain thread has already been discussed before.

However in the case of this thread I would like to ask everyone this: If searching would have yielded no results (see divine_madness's post), how could I have possibly known that this thread already existed without having spent all day reading the forums as described above?

Honestly would you really expect me (or anyone for that matter) to check every single thread for the last 3-4 pages before I post a new one about a topic that a search could not find? If so, I strongly urge you to take a step back and look at yourself in perspective.

If not, please tell me how I could magically find this previous thread? Mystical psychic mind powers?

Dons before you close this thread I ask that you reconsider as I believe that this is an issue on these forums that needs to be discussed.

Soldato
OP
iCraig said:
Dude, its an internet forum. Somebody told you to search, but you couldn't of, not your problem/fault.

Get over it.
nothing to do with me "getting over it".
I wasn't the first and I certainly won't be the last where this has happened.

This thread here is my attempt at solving the cancer that is this problem :p

Soldato
Heofz said:
In the event of somebody posting a thread regarding a topic where another thread on the same topic already exists, every single time this yields replies such as "omg use the search!!!111"

In the case of a topic with distinct key words such as "new computer virus", yes I agree a search would find it and thus you have right to complain that the OP didnt use the search facility.

Unlike some people on these forums (no names mentioned), I have better things to do than spend all day every day on forums and therefore would not know if a certain thread has already been discussed before.

However in the case of this thread I would like to ask everyone this: If searching would have yielded no results (see divine_madness's post), how could I have possibly known that this thread already existed without having spent all day reading the forums as described above?

Honestly would you really expect me (or anyone for that matter) to check every single thread for the last 3-4 pages before I post a new one about a topic that a search could not find? If so, I strongly urge you to take a step back and look at yourself in perspective.

If not, please tell me how I could magically find this previous thread? Mystical psychic mind powers?

Dons before you close this thread I ask that you reconsider as I believe that this is an issue on these forums that needs to be discussed.

Ha ha.

/Nelson

Man of Honour
Heofz said:
Been done before. Search for it tbh ;)

(Seriously - er - get over it. I didn't know the search didn't do URLs either, but I'm not venting like mad (I'll be abusing divine_madness later, though). And I believe a thread on the same subject was on page 2 of GD so you don't need to search, just check recent threads)

Edit: Actually if you search for a combination of win / bet / this / my you get several results...

Permabanned
Well thats an internet forum for ya.

But your prime example is wrong, because searching on page 2, or even the bottom of page 1 would have found the original thread.

Anyway it doesn't matter. But if this type of thing bothers you, stay out of speakers corner ;)

Associate
Heofz said:
lol please tell me you posted that as a joke :rolleyes:

check the recent threads when u come back and ull see them all there *one was infact on page 1 when you posted* ...

anyway don't cry you couldn't find it who cares move on

Man of Honour
Soldato
Heofz said:
hmm I think because I personally referred to myself in the OP I've given the impression that I'm upset over it :/

nobody's crying here
Very well. :) What do you think should be done about (assuming something can be done about it)? It seems that most posters in teis thread don't think it's an issue and as such it does not necessitate action.

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
Very well. :) What do you think should be done about (assuming something can be done about it)? It seems that most posters in teis thread don't think it's an issue and as such it does not necessitate action.
well i doubt its anything whereby a physical measure taken would solve this. This thread was really intended on bringing this issue to people's attention so they think twice before they post something like "use the Search!!"

Soldato
Yeesh... so you had a thread zapped... anyone else and it would be water off a ducks back.

You searched, didnt find, posted, got told off. You know you looked for it and I doubt anyone would bother arguing with you so why make such a fuss?

SiriusB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom